1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

As I predicted: Fat Andy is Laying down, AGAIN...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Darkhelmet, Dec 25, 2013.

1. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I remember back in 2004 Cowher rested the starters against the Bills in the final game. We had everything wrapped up. The bills just needed to win to get in the playoffs and we beat them with back ups. So anything is possible guys, any given Sunday.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i almost felt sorry for them , we scored at will

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some of you guys crack me up like Andy Reid owes the Steelers something, he's going to do what's best for his team. If the Steelers wanted to be in the playoffs don't lose to inferior teams like the Vikings, Raiders, and Titans.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep. That game was a coming out party for James Harrison and Willie Parker.

5. Darkhelmet

Darkhelmet Active Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Andy Reid owes it to the Shield, to the League, not to us. He owes it to the integrity of the game, to put his best players on the field. He also owes it to his team, which is going to go into the playoffs losing 4 of their last 5, if he lays down on Sunday.

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    look darkhelmet
    I'm not here to get into a pissin contest with you
    (I SIT and still would win)

yep it was the year we won the super bowl
    butt
    IF
    IF
    you could remember correctly
    Ben was taken off the field on a stretcher
    thank god we had a 1st rd bye

risk reward
    puhlease

if we were without him Ravens would have crushed us since we were down in the 1st half and it was Ben who stepped up and motivated the team in get the lead back.
    not to mention the great drive at the end of the game in the super bowl

don't think it would have happened if we lost Ben in a meaningless game

hey don't get me wrong
    I understand your view it would be nice to se the best players play but that's not the strategy throughout the nfl

7. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :facepalm:

8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    i don't mean to get in the middle of a disagreement, but the Steelers and Ravens both had 12 wins, they needed to beat the browns to secure the North and 1st round bye. Different situation than the Chiefs are in.

9. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    sorry not correct

went to the titan steeler game which had everything to do with home field advantage

we swept Baltimore that year and when we had the division locked

bmore only won 11 games in the regular season
    but if you wanna give em twelve then
    I guess you can

10. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    His (Andy's) job is to to the best thing for the Chiefs. His job isn't to pull our team out of the fire, they started

11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    At this point, whatever happens happens. I love the fight exhibited down the stretch and hope it has a bleed over effect next season!

Get the the brownies and hope for the best, if not oh well nobody really gave them a damn chance anyways.

12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Different coaches have different philosophies. Chuck Noll played the starters during the last game of the 1978 season in a 'meaningless' game. Vince Lombardi rested most of his starters for the last game of the 1966 season. Both strategies were successful.

13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
  14. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    just curious, it may have been discussed in another thread and I missed it but if we finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs like last year people want tomlins job. if we finish 8-8 and make playoffs everyone one is happy? to me it doesn't matter either way. in the playoffs we wont be able to overcome our problems we have been dealing with all year. I want the 8-8 mark but I really don't want to see the pats or broncos in the playoffs. it could get ugly real quick. we have seen that show once this year. if we make it great and maybe we make a run and I eat crow but if we get to .500 and miss playoffs considering where we started I will be happy

15. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    :facepalm:

3 pages of debate on this?! SomeONE feels strongly about their opinion on this.

16. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

You want to complain, Steeler Nation? How about you ask the following questions instead of making Reid look like a villain:

• Ask Mike Tomlin about his wonderful clock management skills?

• Ask Todd Haley why he is ga-ga over letting playmakers like Markus Wheaton and Derek Moye rot in favor of one-dimensional tight ends?

• In addition, ask Haley why he wouldn’t let Ben Roethlisberger go to the no-huddle during the 0-4 start?

• Ask Dick LeBeau why it took so long to let Jason Worilds take over for LaMarr Woodley?

• Moreover, ask him why he lets more athletic and competent youngsters like Shamarko Thomas get splinters on the bench for ineffective jokes like Ryan Clark?

• Ask LeBeau what his cake-easy, non-pressure and easily identifiable zone-scheme accomplishes against veterans like Tom Bray who carve it like a Thanksgiving turkey?

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The good solid business decision point of view cuts both ways and can just as easily invalidate your stance as validate it. From a team management prospective it does make sense to rest your starters for a potential deep playoff run and having them suffer a freak accident in a meaningless game can happen especially if the other team is playing their hearts out in an effort to impress the coaching staff.

It is also a sound business decision to provide your customers with the best product possible. Now I know the while 8 yr old boy missing his favorite players angle is a bit much but consider this. A father of three buys four tickets to the final game of the season, part of a Christmas surprise present. The team has to split that revenue with the league so the money from ticket sales is already a set amount. Now if the team rest its starters then they aren't putting their best product on the field and the likelihood of secondary sales which most teams really push for starts to go down. Sales for parking wouldn't but if it was me and I had my family there I would be less likely to spend money on concessions, merchandise or even stay the entire game if I am not satisfied with the product. Does this hurt the team for that one game? Not really but it does affect the bottom line and can impact future sales. Would I buy tickets and make a day of it if I knew the product I was getting wasn't the one I paid for? Possibly but more likely to again buy tickets early in the season and not spend on secondary sales. THis can also affect local businesses that depend on those things as well. Unhappy customers are less likely to spend time in town after the game spending money at restaurant and shops.

So what is good business in one respect is also bad in another.

18. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I see your point about the potential negative financial impact of not playing your starters but in the big scheme of things, how significant is it? Are you really going to spend less money just because the starters aren't playing? If so, how much? If you don't buy the tickets, there is probably a fan (or a few dozen) standing in line behind you to buy them.

IMHO the measurable benefits of having a healthy starter greatly outweigh the potential in lost revenue.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Shield yeah right teams rest their starters every year at the end of the season when they have their playoff position set, remember the Colts with Peyton Manning they would do that often. Reid said he would mix and match his line up. Reid is doing the right thing if Alex Smith or Jamaal Charles gets injured in a meaningless game you think the Shield gives a damn about them. The only reason you care is it affects the Steelers playoff chances.

20. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Agree we made this bed now we need a little help. If it doesn't come it's our own dang fault.

Besides do you think the other palyoff teams want a two time superbowl winning QB playing against them? I think not. Ben has the experience and has shown he can take over and win a game on will alone. If I were Andy I would sit my guys too. Good decision for him bad luck for us.

21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It's funny to think of how many people on here would bicker if MT were in Reids position and he flat out stated that he would be playing the starters and has intentions of keeping them in the game the entire 60 minutes.

Even more funny would be the melt down if Ben, Troy, AB or Le'Vion suffered a career ending injury in said game.

Now the funniest part is that people actually think that KC owes it to Pittsburgh to play the starters for the Steelers messing up their season in the beginning.

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How do people go through life being this delusional?

23. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  24. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011

:hmmm: Wait! You're replying to your own posts? :lolol:

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The Shield? Who are you? Goodell? :lolol: