1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the hate on Jarvis Jones?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I've seen a lot of comments about Jarvis Jones being a bust already.

Are you guys really that spoiled to think a rookie is going to come in and dominate? I'm sorry, but that's just plain crazy. There's a reason rookies never start on our defense... It's hard.

Jarvis to me, has shown that he knows how to use his hands, has a motor, and seems to have a nose for the ball. There's plenty to work on, but he has some instincts. He needs to get bigger... big deal. It's easier to hit the weights than it is to learn instincts.

The position he's playing is hard to learn. Woodley seemed to pick it up really quickly. If you look at guys like Harrison, Porter, Gildon, Worilds... It took them all multiple years to really come into their own as pass rushers.

I honestly didn't want Jones. I really wanted Vaccaro. That being said, you gotta give the kid a chance to learn.

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Cameron Heyward showed basically nothing for 2 whole seasons... I'm sure the people calling Jones a bust, thought the same about him.

He's now playing at a pro bowl level.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd like to see him on Woodley's side a few games and see if people are raving about him like they are Worilds.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Heyward never got manhandled by anyone. He could always hold his own strength wise. Jones is getting mauled at the line. He looks small and weak, which was the knock against him in a 3-4 to begin with.

Most of us don't care that he hasn't dominated and most didn't expect him to do much his rookie year, but we also don't want to see him getting manhandled either. You make it sound easy to put on muscle and get stronger. It's not that simple.

5. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I like Jones and have high hopes for him.

6. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think jones needs to get stronger. Didn't he have a pretty weak bench at the combine? I remember when they used to have the bench press competitions at the pro bowl, Hampton did 225 for forty reps and made it look easy. Porter came up next and put up forty reps.

7. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    This may be true but just think of all the extra time the Steelers will have (again this year) to get into top shelf off-season shape! That should most definitely translate into ALL Steelers being healed, fit, and injury free for the 2014-15 campaign. (it says here in fine print) :facepalm:

8. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    As a college player in the current era, hasn't he been in the weight room now for about the last 8 years of his life? What makes anyone think that at age 22 or whatever he is that now he will bulk up? Especially in less than 8 months before next training camp? Not saying it can't happen, but what magical thing happens when someone makes the pros that changes things they have likely been doing throughout college?

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree, 100%.

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's the problem he hasn't been in the weight room. You could say the same about everyone coming out of college and they always seem to get bigger. Look at Timmons(beast). He can easily pack on 15 LBs of muscle if he wants too and dedicates himself to the weights. When you're job is to eat and get big it can be done.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not to mention they have classes to attend, homework ect. Pros, lot more time to dedicate to working out. It's your job, workout, practice and learn your playbook.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    This right here! Also, you still have to remember he did have the diagnosis with the back (Cervical Spinal Stenosis). Might affect him putting that extra muscle on.

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Jones put up 20 reps on the bench press of 225 and ran a 4.9 in the 40 at his Pro Day. He also posted a a 30.5 inch verticle.

14. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I've actually have been one that has been critical of him. While I believe he can get stronger, my concern is his speed. He doesn't look very quick and usually putting on weight doesn't make you quicker. I did expect him to make more plays just on his athleticism alone, without knowing the ends and outs of the def, but that hasn't happened. Going back to preseason when he was playing against other rookies, he wasn't getting any pressure either. Oh and he is already 24, not a 21 yr old. I would love to see him moved inside. He operates better in space and is instinctive, similar to a move farrior made in his career, bit what the h do I know?

15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jones' pick at #1 was an interesting one. His bench and 40 time showed sub-par upper body strength and speed and yet the Steelers drafted him anyway. Throw in the neck injury and it was a bust or boom potential pick.

16. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    If you think all rookies are ready to play season 1 you are mistaken.
    Skill positions can because it's All based on athletisicm. In football you need to be able to handle or have a certain strength.

At 20,21,22 I was not a man with man strength. Let the body acclimate.

17. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    GM's will often say they prefer someone they are high on to have a bad combine. The team has already scouted the crap out of them, interview them and not sure but private workout? Don't know about that last one but the combine is a bit overrated.

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Clay Matthews 6'3" 255lbs five years experience 48.5 career sacks

Jarvis Jones 6'2" 245lbs rookie 1 sack

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure I understand this comparison...

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There seems to be an opinion that Jarvis lacks both size and strength to play at this level and is getting man handled. By comparasion we have Clay Matthews who is considered a legit pass rusher from the outside linebacker position. Clay has an inch and ten pounds on Jarvis so I don't think that supports the size and strength theory.

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Way too early to call him a bust.

Not too early to declare his rookie season a MAJOR disappointment considering the hype.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I guess I would just call this whole SEASON a major disappointment and the defense is really one of the biggest reasons why for me. Jones did show some flashes I suppose but he certainly didn't set the league on fire.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I kind of agree with all of this right here. Farrior started out as an OLB too, I'm not sure how Jarvis would do dropping into coverage more often though. But Jarvis does remind me a little of Brandon Spikes (both slower) who is successful so I don't know?

No one expected Jarvis to be a superstar his rookie year, I didn't, but I think most thought he would hit the ground running. He played in a 3-4 at Georgia as an OLB, he was a Senior coming out, and he lit up the SEC, which most people say is NFL caliber already...

I'd say I wouldn't be complaining so much if he had 4 or 5 more sacks, and defended the run a little better. He has 3 more games to get those sacks, hopefully something clicks in these next few weeks....

25. Pa Yankee

Pa Yankee Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Are you talking about Joey Porter? If so you're wrong.