1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Mad at Haley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wreck, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    "Ben Roethlisberger asked why Steelers didn't run as much in the second half." "No idea. Coach Haley's over there. You can ask him."

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yep, seems like they are not getting along. :facepalm:

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I didn't take it that way when I saw that yesterday. A national reporter is asking him about play calling after a tough loss. Go ask the guy in charge.

[tweet]409806634903273472[/tweet]

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That doesn't mean Ben is mad at Haley. Ben is a gunslinger and any QB worth his salt likes to fling it. He's not going to be upset at an OC who gives him the leeway to do that.

I am perplexed, though, as to why Bell disappeared for the entire second quarter. He had a lot of succes in the first quarter and we should have kept riding that!

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

That's how I interpreted it. Like when my wife asks why the traffic's moving so slowly, and I tell her to ask the guy at the front of the queue. There's no beef between me and that guy, he just has the answer to the question.

6. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The topic looks like a headline from nfl.com.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Making a mountain out of mole hill which the media does. Ben wasn't wrong for saying what he did, and I don't believe that they don't get along.

8. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    So, when things go well, Ben says we communicate in the headset, I call the plays but get information from Coach Haley, but when they don't it's I don't know, ask coach. Great leadership Ben!!

How about this for an answer, relating to the 2nd half:

1st Drive: 4 passes...TD
    2nd Drive: Pass, run, pass. Penalty bringing up a 1st and 20, necessitating 3 passes. First down, then 2 rushes preceding another TD
    3rd Drive: 4 passes, 1 runs before a failed conversion on 3rd and 4. 3 of the passes were flats to Bell. Maybe they tried to use the short passing game as their run plays, which many teams do
    4th Drive: Pass, run, then back to back penalties bring up a 2nd and 19. Nothing to do but pass
    Final 2 possession, down with under 3 minutes to go...nothing to do but pass.

I see nothing wrong with the above mix and some penalties dictated the play calling and then the final two drives.

Media asked a question hoping to get a good sound bite from Ben, and he took the bait. Typical.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Whats wrong with that? Ben doesn't call all the plays, go ask the guy who does. I have no idea how well they get along but that answer is a non issue.

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Perhaps Wreck is Ian Rappaport

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The problem as I understand it with Ben's statement is, weren't we in no huddle for most of the game? Wouldn't that imply that BEN is the one making the play calls? I did not see the whole game, as I was on the road and only listened, but it seemed we were in no huddle ALL the time.

12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Um, yep...it's just Ben being Ben.

13. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    I just read the article on NFL. Said they asked Bell why he did not run the ball as much in the second half also and he just shook his head. If Ben and the rest of the offense really does hate Haileys play calling who is stopping him from just running no huddle all the time or changing the play in the huddle? There is a problem with this team and some of the coaches and it needs to be dealt with. I personally have not problems with Ben's answer to the question. Don't ask the middle man go straight to the source if you want the answer.

14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Well, shoudnt the head coach ask his OC why aren't we running the ball more? Especialy since Miami was running the ball down our throat for 181 yards, and he might even ask lebeau why his defense cant stop the run???

15. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

Yup let's just move along now!

16. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    No. Ran it less yesterday compared to previous weeks.

17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin has stated he is heavily involved in the game plan every week. Perhaps Tomlin is responsible for why we didn't run as much. Perhaps he dictated to Haley to throw it more. Or maybe it was 100% Haley's call. Who knows, all I know is this team is a mess from the top down.

Ben shouldn't be throwing his coaches under the bus like that. That's such a childish answer. I don't expect that from a veteran guy like Ben. Take some responsibility even if it truly isn't his responsibility. He's such a childish idiot when things don't go well. I guarantee if we had won he would have had some political answer as to why we didn't run as much, he wouldn't have thrown his coach under the bus like that.

18. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    No huddle does not mean Ben is calling all of the plays.

19. ScottChab

Oct 17, 2011
    The media didn't make a mountain out of this.

20. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, this is where I stand too. Do i think they are BFF's? No. However, Ben answering the question the way he did doesnt make me suddenly think there is NOW an issue.

21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I take it as a sarcastic remark. If he was asked that same question and BA was the coordinator he would come to his defense and just say "I don't know" or "We're running the plays the best we can and jus not executing". If Peyton Manning was asked that question about his OC, I seriously doubt he would say "He's over there, you can ask him". C'mon Man!!!!

22. grannieBurgh

grannieBurgh Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Saw this on my Verizon nfl app and luke most I say non issue however that being said Ben saying they need to run the ball more is just plain ridiculous. Not saying it isn't true just that him saying it would be like Manning letting his OC call plays. Never going to hear about it.