1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If the Steelers have a Top 15 pick, they should draft...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SpeedyMikeWallace, Nov 20, 2013.

1. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    A quarterback.

Might seem a little soon to some, but Ben is 32 years old now. His contract is up after the 2015 season, meaning he'll be 34. They could extend him on a yearly basis based on performance, but I really think it's in the franchise's best interest to treat Ben like they would any other aging vet (showing them the door when they're on the down-slope).

So, who could be available? Well, lucky for the Steelers, this is a pretty big QB draft. Even if they finish with the 13th or 14th pick, they should have a good shot at someone pretty good. Naturally, the two big prospect will be long gone; Bridgewater might as well play with his Jaguars jersey on right now and Mariota could end up at a number of places in the early spots. Beyond them, it's a little interesting. You have, probably, Johnny Manziel, Brett Hundley, Tahj Boyd, Zach Mettenberger, Derek Carr, Aaron Murray, Kevin Hogan, etc.. Like I said, it's a BIG QB draft, and I think all but probably Murray, Hogan, and maybe Carr from that list will be gone in the first 32 picks (a lot of teams will be looking for QBs).

Who do I like? Brett Hundley.

Why?
    1. Age. He'll be 20 when drafted (turns 21 just before pre-season). Why is this a big deal? Well first, he obviously would not be up for starting for at least two seasons. So given his youth, even if he has to wait a couple of years, he'll still be at rookie-age. Second, his age means he may be a little more "impressionable". It may be a little easier to work with his mechanics and whatnot.

2. Arm strength and accuracy. Stronger arm than Ben, easily (Ben really doesn't have a strong arm given his size; known for under-throwing deep routes). Accuracy is pretty off the charts given his age.

3. Smart in the pocket. Will look to step up first if he can. He is quick to recognize a collapsing pocket (sometimes he can be a little premature there but we need to remember he's a 20 y/o college QB, not a seasoned NFL vet), will protect the ball if the sack is unavoidable, will run when he's able to, and will slide to protect himself once he's run out of real estate, unless otherwise needed to lower the shoulder. He will also take a hit to make the throw.

4. Mobility. Not overly fast (around a 4.6), but like I said he runs smart. He also runs a bit upright, meaning he keeps his eyes upfield while running.

5. Studies. He's already into studying film and such.

6. Lastly, he has the size. 6'3" 225lbs right now at 20. No reason why his frame couldn't pack on 10-15 more for the NFL.

The game against Nebraska is one I particularly like. It shows off just about everything I've mentioned:

1. Smart mobility.
    2. Protects the ball - Yes, he fumbles at the beginning, but you can't focus on one play. Plus, everyone is going to fumble sometimes. This is still football.
    3. Steps up into the pocket when he can/ isn't run-first.
    4. Strong arm.
    5. Dead-on accuracy.

[video=youtube;4ECrk6mHwnE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ECrk6mHwnE[/video]

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    How about a speedy mike wallace?

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think there is any way were gonna take QB in the first without trading Ben, but I'll play anyways.

If we draft around 12-15, Mariota and Bridgewater are both long gone. So is one more QB (probably Manziel, who I wouldn't e real high on). I've only seen a few UCLA games but Hundley didn't really impress me. He seems to have some upside, I just would rather take someone who has had some really good games when they matter the most. I wouldn't touch Boyd, and we probably wont be running the right type of offense to best utilize Murray's strengths (unless Haley doesn't get fired). If it had to be round 1 I'd go Mettenberger. Dude's good, and good in big games in the SEC. In round 2 we would have a good chance at both McCarron and Hogan, both of whom I'd be happy with.

If we draft a QB this high, we'd have to cut Gradkowski. We invested a mid round pick in L. Jones (who we traded for), and he didn't have a bad rookie pre-season. No, we wouldn't get rid of Jones in that scenario. We'd have a whole lot of unproven behind Ben... This team has bigger holes to fill that early. Plus I think Ben has a lot more left than people give him credit for. Hes only 32, he could very well play till he's 36-37. Plenty of time for good QB's to come out of the draft.

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  6. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    You're right. Good catch.

7. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't see any reason why the Steelers would have to trade Ben in order to draft a QB.

8. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If you are going to get your franchise QB, then it needs to be one of the top guys. They might consider trading draft picks to move up for Mariotta.

9. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    How'd that work out for the Redskins? Trading away picks to move up for a QB would be a huge mistake. We need all the picks we can get.

And we have a franchise QB. If Ben signs for less to stay here there's absolutely no reason to trade him.

10. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    Hundley has better NFL potential than Mariotta, IMO. There are a lot of options in this year's draft at QB. They don't need to be in the Top 5 to get one.

11. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Anyone that can play Left tackle better than the ones we have.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No thanks to a rookie QB draft a LT in the first round.

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    watching beachum my first round pick is changed . i would take a te , amaro hebron or sefarian jenkins (in the 3rd case maybe we can even trade down a little and add a 3rd

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Not yet for me. I'd still grab one of the top OT's if available, but would settle for Watkins, Evans, or Amaro. I'm ignorant on Ebron; is he any different than Will Johnson? Haven't checked him out any so really don't know much about him.

I'm not really looking at defense in the 1st because I think they go offense for sure.

15. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ebron is a stud he's like the new breed of tight ends that can get down the field. He will be top tight end in the draft most likely.

17. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Is he just a big fast dude or does he have some athleticism about him? Maybe a dose of body control to go along with his speed, for example? I think what separates the fantsatic TE's like Gonzalez, Graham, Gates etc from the rest is that they have a great amount of body awareness and fluidity of movement. Is that Ebron?

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are some good TE's this year. some that can do both like heath. block and catch passes. that's a guy we need.

I do like Jensen from fres.st.. long arms and big hands too.

then a guy that will most likely move up or would be a steal late is ted bolser from Indiana. I like this kid. :cool:

19. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly. If a LT is available and we don't take him, the fans will tear the city of Pittsburgh down brick by brick.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  21. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we need a difference maker in rd 1 , i don't see any cb or safety worth a top 15 pick , maybe dennard or clinton dix but i'm not sold on either of them

22. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Agreed. I see no Vaccaro or Earl Thomas in this year's class of DB's. Solid guys out there but none that awe me yet. Dude from Florida State is probably my favorite DB at this point (Joyner). EJ Gaines is also someone I'd like to keep an eye on as a 2nd round selection, CB from Mizzou.

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You guys maybe right, but I am hoping
    the Steelers will pick up a CB early
    that is capable of producing right away.