1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Todd Haley offense finally coming to life?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the play of your line determines the success of your QB, the line gave Ben good pass protection Sunday and he subsequently had a great game, little bit too much coincidence for me.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they have been giving him a much cleaner pocket since beachum went to LT and velasco went to center. ben still had some bad games and hurried some throws more than he needed to. of course he's been so used to the rush getting to him so fast that the clock in his head was going off before it needed to.

he may now be getting a little more used to the rush with this group. that's probably like an eternity to ben from when adams was playing on the left and pouncey and the guards letting the pocket come back into his face as fast.

I just hope this isn't where kevin Colbert gets all giddy and signs beachum to a huge salary to become our new LT and cuts adams for gibert. then we keep pouncey and sign velasco to big money. wait, that sounds about right for here. :cool:

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben admits that he's one of the reasons why the Oline looks bad at times. I believe the way a QB plays has a trickle down effect on the entire offense. Defenses will approach a QB that makes quicker decision differently then they do a QB like Ben that likes to hold onto the football to long at times. It's not a mystery that Ben struggles at times with various aspects of playing QB. ie holding onto the ball to long at times. He holds the ball to long at times for different reasons. The protections is going to look better if Ben can make quicker decisions and get the ball into the hands of the play makers quicker.

All QBs in the league are under siege. The QBs that typically make quicker decisions with the ball typically take less sacks. Those QBs may take less sacks. Just because those QBs take less sacks doesn't mean they don't get hit right after they release the football.

As I stated, we've seen Ben play this well in the past. We will see if he can maintain more consistency for the rest of the season.

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Team sport, all the parts need to be working, a QB can't be expected to have great games with the lack of pass protection Ben was receiving from his line. Also in order to utilize those quick throws the receivers have to do their part. Not everyone can be Peyton and Brady, who by the way I have seen crumble under pressure too, we beat both of them that way. Ben showed he can get rid of the ball under 2.5 seconds during the Bears game, problem is, he has often had less time then that. If the line does it's job, bet you'll see the consistency you want from Ben.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Who do you think is teaching/coaching Ben on what plays to call. Ben sure as heck isn't smart enough to figure it out on his own.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Was Haley calling Ben on the phone to teach him those things before he got here? He's always been good at calling plays out of the no huddle.

And according to this, knows a heck of a lot more then you think.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5095218-74/roethlisberger-steelers-ben?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Steelers+Stories%29#axzz2lFoIi2Nf

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    What we saw last game against the Lions was a shot across the bow to all of the nay sayers and media pundits. The Lions game was a big FU to all everyone who thinks he has lost his game and plays sandlot football and is not a student of the game.
    Damn media. How in christ does anyone know what Ben does at home . I am sure he spends time going over the playbook and watching game film.. Judging by his last outing it would appear this is not a fluke. He really does know and read defenses.

He still holds the ball to the last second on the playclock though.. LOL.. Sorry I am starting something there hehe

Bman

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If both of them would swallow their pride and work together, this offense could go places. The no huddle seems to keep Ben engaged which is a good thing and Haley, in spite of what many are saying about him, is capable of designing a pretty good offensive strategy. I think this little blurb from the article says a lot:

However, Roethlisberger was choosing from a menu of Haley's plays. This also should not be minimized. It's Haley's offense. Both men deserve credit for what transpired Sunday. The touchdown pass to Jerricho Cotchery was a perfect example. Haley designed the play, built off the widely used quick screen to Antonio Brown. Roethlisberger called it.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/5095218-74/roethlisberger-steelers-ben#ixzz2laqfZmo2
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook