1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Todd Haley offense finally coming to life?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Nov 17, 2013.

1. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Meybe they're finally just getting over the pre-season trip of Tomlin taking them to Dave & Busters?? :roflmao:

2. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    You want to provide an immediate boost to the offense? Fire Haley TODAY, promote Randy Fichtner to OC, and let Ben run what he wants.

3. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Because the design of Haley's offense is that bad? I'll tell you this: I see a lot more creative/better play design in Haley's offense than in Arians', especially in the red zone. There are a number of plays where Ben has wide open receivers in the end zone, meaning the routes and misdirection are confusing the defense. The play action ACTUALLY WORKS. Problem is, there are dropped passes and blown assignments on the line (nothing new) neither of which can be attributed to Haley.

The TD pass to Johnson was a perfect example. That was a well-designed play. So was the one where Ben missed Paulson (is it Haley's fault Ben so badly missed him?)

I'm not saying Haley is a genius, but he isn't the bogeyman either and not the sole reason the offense has sputtered.

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    VERY well said! :applaud:

5. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    No not because it's so bad. It's because Ben and Haley still don't get along with each other and never will. The team is gonna have to pick between one or the other. And I'm hoping it's our 2X Super Bowl winning QB and not some doofus coach who seems to not have a single player in his corner. Wouldn't shock me the least bit to find out Haley is the "source" for all of the Ben rumors. That seems to be his style. The sooner he's gone, the sooner this group of players can begin functioning as a team.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Seen them on the sideline a few weeks ago cutting up together, I think relationship is a lot better than some think.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe that was the change they made at halftime. DLB started calling the offense and TH started calling the defense?:hmmm::cool:

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    that's what i think too , they are always talking friendly on the sideline , if they are not acting the relationship seems good

9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I watched Ben's interview from the locker room post game. Ben said that on the sidelines all were involved in the discussions, wr's, rb's, coaches, etc. The camera crew likes to show Peyton looking at pictures. Yet, for some reason, they think Ben just stands on the sidelines and doesn't discuss strategy. The same goes for the Ben-Haley dust up. Ben is smart when it comes to talking to the media. After the superbowl loss, he took the blame, unlike Peyton saying "we had protections issues" etc. Given the opportunity, Ben says he didn't make enough plays instead of blaming the offensive line, a dropped pass, or the defense. I'm sorry, but I don't see controversy in Heath giving credit to his quarterback.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think most of the talk about Ben and Haley having a bad relationship is just made up B.S. I'm sure they have had their differences as would any two people in their situation. Media Crap.

11. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i just think Haley calls a terrible game. i understand that the plays that Ben was calling are from Haleys play book, but its all about when you call those plays. Haley just doesnt seem to call plays at the right time. Ben was calling plays that seemed to flow better with the game and he called them at the right time.

my biggest issue with Haley isnt the design of his plays its the timing of his play calls.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    perfect .. so let's haley wright a playbook and let ben make the calls

13. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    isnt that pretty much how Peyton does it. the oc creates the plays and manning calls them when he wants. some times i wonder if Haley wouldnt be better of sitting up in the box so he can get a better view of the game. its almost like hes not really seeing it from the sidelines.

14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hate sound negative ,but even if Ben called the plays it was not against what gives us trouble...It is the same O it is the same scheme we just had a softer back end to run it against IMO...

Our WR Corp out matches most Speedy type Secondaries our problems always come when Teams get physical and man up...

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think the whole Ben hates Todd, Todd is too difficult to work with, square peg in a round hole has been blown way out of proportion and now we are actually seeing how it can and should work.
    Early in the season this team would have quality drives that were all for not due to fumbles. It doesn't matter which plays you call, if the player can't hold onto the ball then the result will always be abysmal.
    I don't think any OC has really come into the NFL and has had immediate positive results. Peyton Manning did go into Denver and pretty much didn't miss a beat but he is certainly outside the norm as he usually calls his own game anyways.

16. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    The Todd Haley offense was alive last year till Ben got thumped. Looked like he got it knocked out of him. Maybe it is coming back to him

17. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Huh? Source please. I know all the talk about Ben and Haley butting heads but where are you hearing/reading that they "still don't get along with each other and never will"?

I thought we looked like we were functioning as a team last week, no?

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Seems to make sense after watching the no huddle. It is my opinion and that of others that while Ben deserves a great deal of credit for the last two games and his QB rating and efficiency that we cannot ignore the fact that its Haleys offense and designed plays that Ben is using. Ben merely uses the play which best fits what he sees the defense doing and yes I know your thinking " obviously" hehe

Bman

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe his qb coach has done a good job.:cool:

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This has got me thinking. What if in the future Ben becomes a QB coach somewhere?

"Hey kid, Here' how it's done. At the snap of the ball look for the primary target but if at 1.5 seconds it's not open, scramble for your life but what ever you do, don't throw the ball away! There is a play to be made regardless. Good luck and God Speed".

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Lol.

"Hey kid, where's your big receiver? We ain't doing no training without a big receiver. Your team hasn't got one? You need to get one. Can't do a thing without one."

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hey Canton this was an article that came across my NFL mobile app on Monday and it is just one more reason I avoid these type of reporters. He is basically making facts out of thin air based on previous behaviors of both Ben and Todd Haley. Anyways this maybe where some of these reports of not liking one another have resurfaced.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000284963/article/do-pittsburgh-steelers-use-enough-nohuddle-offense

Bad journalism in my mind.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not taking anything away from Fitch.. Certainly he deserves credit on Bens play. It's very difficult to actually know how much his Fitch is developing Ben. I really think Ben actually has more aptitude and reads defenses better then people give him credit. You give him a good Oline and he works wonders. Or you use a no huddle and a game plan such as Haley devised and you got a winner

Bman

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Haley has a decent play book, calling it at situational times, is probably better suited and left up to Ben. Haley or Tomlin or whoevers problem, is the fact that we aren't utilizing people the right way. We're not dressing people that could make a situational difference, as well as not calling plays to put difference makers into key positions.

Where is Will Johnson? Where is Moye? Why is Sanders being used as a sideline streaking deep threat? It goes on and on.

same thing about the D side of the ball. Why aren't Mc Clendon and Iron heads boy set as ends with a true nose tackle sitting on the practice squad?

there has been terrible player management around here for a long time.

could go along way to putting key peeps into the lineup!

25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There is generally a correlation between the play of the QB and offensive point production. Ben played pretty poorly the first half of this season. Ben gave the ball away to much. He played what was probably his best game of the season vs the Lions and the offense scored points.