1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I AM AFRAID THERE IS NO QUICK FIX FOR THIS MESS!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Nov 7, 2013.

1. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Hackenburg looks like a player. too bad Penn State wont be able to get to a bowl while hes there with the sanctions and all. the kid is 18 and looks pretty poised in the pocket and can make all the throws.

i hope that hes a guy that they are watching. he could easily fly under the radar with Penn State not being able to go to any bowl games and being on a down swing until they can get past the mess they are in.

the kid out of Florida State also looks real good, but there is already so much hype around him he will be a top pick when he comes out. i could see Hackenburgh slipping to the later rounds.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why would you not think the picks would be high?He is a supposedly franchise QB, I am sure a team that is on the cusp of( SB thoughts) would trade for him. Houston Texans!

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lets say we get a first rounder for him, then you use it to replace him, you have to pay the new guy and still have at least a portion of Bens salary against the cap. How are we coming out ahead?

The same people who want to trade Ben are mostly the same people who complain nonstop about Colbert and Tomlin's draft choices, so now all the sudden you guys expect them to hit a home run in the draft with Bens replacement ?
    Trading Ben is dumb. The only way you even consider it is if it was a Herschel Walker type blockbuster trade, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i don't say trade ben , but if they trade him they should receive more than only a first round say at least a first and second if not more , than you have the part of his salary only for one year than you have the new qb at low price for 3 /4 years .

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My thoughts exactly Freak, There is this QB in DC(KirkCousins)
    that can make all the throws. Would look good in Black and Gold!

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    :this!: And then bring his quarterback!!

7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It's definitely going to take a few drafts and some free agents to fix what we have. I think we start with a Left tackle. And since we wasted two high picks on tackles the last few years we might want to go the free agent route.

I don't believe we trade Ben at all. We have a good quarterback and they are hard to find. He has at least 3 more productive years. Lets build around him by protecting him. Giving him the weapons he needs and working on our defense.

We probably need a free agent on defense. Probably in the linebacker core. Like a "James Farrior or Ryan Clark" type free agent. Then I would add one to the secondary. Corner or Safety. If we can get good quality in these two positions I think we would be alright.

8. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    The problem as I see it, is with Tomlin and the current staff doing the re-building, it's going to take 3 years best case. Hell they've been rebuilding our running game for the last 2 years and it's worse now than it was when they started. :facepalm:

9. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why do people think we won't get much for Ben in a trade. Look at what Cinci got for Palmer, who was not even playing.

Also, why do people think we cannot follow up a franchise qb with another? It can be done, see green bay and Indy. also SF seemed to be able to do it in the past following Montana with Young.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree with a lot of what your saying, and also agree with wardis and freak in a way.

wardis I too liked cousins.

I don't think we get rid of ben, but I also don't think we do anything with him at this point.

I would like a qb like derrick carr from fresno st. , even as a 1st rounder this year.

I don't give up on landry jones either. these two will learn and play when ben goes down. they have the skills, they just may need refined to the pro game, but the talent is there.

gradkowski I like the guy but brings very little anyway in the way of veteran leadership from a field standpoint. other teams win pretty regularly with young qb's. I think for a game or two in stretches these two could win as they fight to become the starter and backup for the 2016 season. if we can't afford ben or he hangs em up or he just loses that worth/money edge with the offense going forward.

that's two and a half more years, but we have a plan in place or two. we need backups anyway. not just a vet old guy but potential future 1-2 guys. let them learn the system. I think a new OC will be coming to a theatre near you soon anyway.

this way we still use the # 1 pick for a qb but we get to kick the tires for a couple of seasons until he HAS to play, instead of picking and throwing him to the lions immediately. it makes some sense I would think.:cool:

11. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    WOW Mac 2 young QB's, pretty daring for this messageboard. Who would be your top picks for OC and QB Coach to teach these 2 youngens? :hmmm:

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    chan gailey. OC and I have no problem with fichtner as qb coach.:cool:

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If you listen to people hear they'll tell you Colbert and Tomlin don't know how to draft good players ,so based on that how are we getting a good QB?

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Exceptions don't equal the norm, I can give you faaaaar more examples that didn't pan out then did. Is it impossible to hit on the very next QB we pick? No, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

As for the Palmer trade, that too is an exception to the rule, I wouldn't use the Raiders as an example, they run the franchise like crap.

15. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's what I was gonna say about the Raiders. Also if you're gonna trade Ben why not just let Troy go too? And Woodley and Timmons and AB and all the rest of the money guys? If you wanna blow it up why not REALLY blow it up? The point I'm trying to make is that if you take Ben from this team we are absolutely not gonna be competitive and will be perennial bottom feeders for who knows how long.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they beat us the last two years.:facepalm:

that's why i'd do the drafting of another now. while we have one in place for another couple of years. at least. :cool:

17. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Not if we take that kid from UCF. My crystal ball says he IS the next Big Ben. :)

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So you've came to the conclusion that Landry is not the next Steeler great?

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I'll tell you what though the Landry pick is starting to look a lot dumber to me since we obviously have so many more pressing needs on defense and the line. I really wonder if they didn't try to be like Belichick and take a high profile guy with no intention of keeping him but just using him as trade bait.

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    DUH.... Not patting myself on the back (ok maybe a little) but I called that on draft day.

21. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Look up my draft day post BFT.

22. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Since we're talking Draft, with the Viking's win last night, we just moved up a spot....sweet!!

23. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah but I was asking Mac that because I was thinking he was willing to give him a shot.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Basing assumptions that Landry Jones isn't a potential starting quarterback off of 4 preseason games is hardly bona fide evidence that he is a draft bust: You think if we drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round he would have become a star playing with this team, he would have been rooted on the bench and run off before he would have gotten a chance to showcase his talents, the steelers don't have a clue when looking at QB talent, so even if Jones is a potential great Qb, we will never find out with the clueless coaches we have here.....

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    for that i would play him in the last games of the season if we are eliminated from the playoffs