1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

question ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by freakfontana, Oct 30, 2013.

1. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    if (when) we reach the eight loss being matematically out of the playoffs , do you start ben or try to to see what we have on laundry ? we could see what he can do in the nfl maybe he will get a trade value we can save big ben some hits and in the same time light a fire under him for a next season , not to mention we could pick a little bit earlier

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I say there's no way this happens. They've let Ben play when we were already clinched and he had a really bad ankle. I say he plays all year unless he gets hurt badly enough to have to sit.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes probably but my question was do you will ?

and clinched was one thing (to not make him rusty for playoffs could be a right move) , but play for pride against the pick when you just drafted a qb and you don 't have too much time to develope in real game , and when you are near to decide what to do on ben's contract

4. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    He`s our quarterback.
    He plays.
    WE DON`T QUIT!
    Eliminated, or not.
    :steelflag:

5. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I know where you are coming from Freak, and though I agree with you, it might come down more to what sort of directive Tomlin has from the Rooneys going forward for the remainder of this year.

Sitting Ben at some point may have already been discussed between Tomlin and the Rooneys, or it will be once we are officially eliminated from the playoffs.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All depends, if your a person spending your hard earned money to see your favorite star player in person then the Rooney's must
    play these guys. But if you are watching it at home, hell yea play the young people see what they can do, see if they are worth keeping.

7. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  8. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes and no imo. We all want to see what the "new guy" is capable of but some times these young players need a year or two to get ready to play with the big dogs. You potentially risk having a career ending injury by putting guys out there that simply aren't ready yet. Another risk to them is having them out there getting took to school and all of the sudden they look like a bust when possibly they just weren't ready to see the field yet. Just saying.

9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    In most cases that would be true about risking an injury but since this offensive line is probably the most elite unit in the league I would say Landry would be perfectly safe. If this line was really bad though I would agree with you.

10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    :this!:

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't mind seeing what Landry has and it's likely that at some point this year Ben will miss a game or two. But with Landry being number three he still may not see any game time. I will say this though, the way the AFC is going this year 8 losses doesn't necessarily mean you're mathematically eliminated. Shoot, we may have a 7-9 team sneak in.

12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011

There, fixed it for you. I think that's one of my biggest issues with Ben. His competitive spirit keeps him playing in games he has no business being in. And that's also on the coaching staff/doctors. They need to stand up to him when he's truly injured and not let him play.

13. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    You got me there bud. ;)

14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I think your Halloween costume might be a little too tight and affecting your brain ;)

15. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    While I never want to see us loose.......................

Well, to be honest I did want to loose to the browns last game of the season last year. I figured we gain nothing by winning but if we loose we are guaranteed a # 14 pick, win we move down to 17. It's not just the 1st rd but every round. There were some very good players we "just" missed getting.

We need, NO, we MUST aquire a dominate LT, priority one, nothing else matters if we don't do that. Only way we can do that is draft early, very early.

As much as I hate suffering a bad season, like last year, if it brings us the quality we need to return to SB contention it lessons the sting of that poor season. It looks like we'll be suffering two bad seasons in a row. If that be the case we BETTER get the talent to be who are supposed to be!!

As far as I'm concerned, a non-season ticket holder, I only care if we win two more games, the patsies and the ratbirds. I already suffered 5 losses and realize we ain't gonna make the playoffs. Sorry guys, but we ain't going to win out and finish 11-5, we just don't have the talent and depth to do that.

Cajun-

Edit: To address the OP better, I would seriously give Landry some in-season snaps. Ben made several mental errors vs. the raiders and at this time in his career that's unexceptable. If he feels the heat of a rising star behind him maybe he'll prepare,study better with Haley.

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Even Rich Gannon was commenting on some of the mental mistakes Ben was making. He got very lucky that there was a penalty against the Raiders with the stupid pass that he threw up late in the game which was intercepted. Gannon also commented a couple of times when Ben took a crucial sack when he had plenty of time to at least throw the ball away and preserve field position. And the timeout was inexcusable! Ben is still our QB and is the face of our franchise, but he's got to get smarter navigating through in-game situations. You do that with film study and game prep, something I feel Ben is lacking.

17. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I suggested the same thing a few weeks back...Not only should we shut him down we should shut down all the Vets as well as Bell....If we can't get in the post season only bad things can happen.....Tank the season get a higher draft pick and save wear and tear on your vets...

Also the most important thing is you get to develop the other young guys and see what they have,will help a bunch in knowing which way to rebuild and exactly how much...

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes Ben is lacking in film study and the ability to read defenses,he has admitted many times he doesn't understand the run game.....Holding a clip board beside the Coaches and helping to call the plays would help his development...

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Wait, Ben has admitted what many times?

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He doesn't understand the run game...When he sees guys step into gaps to run blitz he has no ideal how to change to a better run or change the blocking scheme...

When he sees the DL slsnting he doesn't even know to call the play opposite and run away from the slant...

He has showed this many times as well as saying he really doesn't understand the run game...It all starts with film study knowing how and why a play will or won't work,he has never cared to learn that craft and as far as I am concerned if he is not willing or able we should move him along...

21. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's deflection. He's asked why the run game sucks. He's not going to say 'it's because my running back teammate sucks' or 'my OL teammate sucks'. The couple times in passing he's said it, he's saying 'I don't know, you'd have to ask a coach'.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But i actually believe him,to many times do we run into the blitz,also I have never seen him audible out of a inside run with a fire X blitz called...

Also when a runner gets stuffed behind the liune he looks confuseed,then rewind the tape and we had 3 guys blocking 5 on that side and it was clear before the snap...So as stated I really believe him when he says he doesn't know....

23. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben will play unless he is injured. Imagine if he was held out and missed some incentive bonus in his contract. The NFLPA would be all over that. While I would like to say yes rest them so they don't get hurt there is not a way this will ever happen. Which leads me to believe will be end up finding a way to 7-9 and in no man's land in the draft again this spring.

Personally I never want to see us lose but I have come to grips with the fact that this team is not good and needs high draft picks in each round to keep this from spiraling out of control. So if we don't win again this year it will suck but I understand that might be the best way to help out this team long term.

24. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope the Steelers NEVER take on this philosophy.

25. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why do you want to go into a 20 year drought ? Or do you want your Franchise player to end his career in a game that means nothing ? Also why win just enough games to draft a weaker player ?How will that help us next year...All that I suggest would help the Team get better faster...Why is that a bad thing ??

Half the NBA is planning on tanking to get better before the seaoson even starts ,I don't condone that ,but why not Tank once the season is over ?IMO when you can't make the post season then the season is over...