1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

by week 8 the Steelers will be back in it

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lovembig, Oct 2, 2013.

1. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    before you laugh just look at the schedules of the other teams in their division

week 5:

Steelers - bye
    Bills at Browns
    Pats at Cincy
    Ravens at Miami

week 6:

Steelers at Jets
    Cincy at Bills
    Lions at Browns
    Packers at Ravens

week 7:

Ravens at Steelers
    Browns at Packers
    Lions at Cincy

week 8:

Steelers at Raiders
    Browns at Chiefs
    Jets at Cincy
    Ravens - bye

i know they havent shown any reason to think they can win their next 3 games, but they are all winnable games and if the offense can stop turning the ball over and at some point you have to think the defense will start creating turnovers and getting to the qb. the other teams have some tough games.

the bad thing is they are chasing all 3 teams, but they only have to make up 2 games on those team. 0-4 is a huge mountain to climb, but im not ready to give up just yet.

the Steelers have a bye this week and the other 3 teams have tough games. i can easily see them all losing.

i know the trade they made today isnt the most popular trade, but it shows me they are not giving up yet either and they see the problems. lets hope they make the most of their bye week and make some changes that help.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Someone high jacked Lovems account! :lolol:

When you look at 0-4 in in regards to the division, it's really not insurmountable. If we were in the East or West, season would be over, they are going to have to win the division, I don't think any wild cards are coming out of it and being 2 games back is very doable.

3. lovembig

Oct 30, 2011
    no one on that division seems to want it. 2 games back with 12 to go isnt impossible.

its way too early to give up hope and have nothing to cheer for. if i give up hope now its gonna be a long season.

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They have a tough road ahead if them but so did the 05 team.

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The offense better stop turning the ball over, or it's a wrap. Didn't turnovers cause the loss in the last game against the Raiders?

6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They have themselves in a helluva hole, but Im going to remain optimistic for two reasons.
    First the rest of the division is weak and no one is running away with it.
    Second this team really hasn't been getting blown out and dominated. Im seeing a team who is their own worst enemy and is killing themselves with mistakes. If (and its a big if since its a carry over from last season) they can correct those mistakes, they're capable of winning quite a few games even without the defense creating turnovers. Aside from the turnovers, Im beginning to like what I see from the offense. Heath is healthy, Bell looked good, and they are starting to move the ball and put up points. Hopefully the line can stay relatively healthy and gel and get better...remember not only are these guys young, this is a new Line coach teaching new blocking techniques. Not much is mentioned about that. So Im hopeful that the line will get somewhat sorted out allowing Ben to cut down on mistakes and Bell to contribute with Heath kicking in too. Call me a homer with rose colored glasses, but I can see this team going on a bit of a run and making noise within the division. Wether its too late or not, I don't know.

(This could really really blow up in my face and be embarrassing at the end of the year :oops:! But damn it, Im making the call!)

7. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
  8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    13-3.
    they play so well Goodell overturns the Bengal game.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    First, we have to win a game.

10. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    One win would feel so good right now.

11. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Nothing embarassing, at all, EVER, about having faith in your favorite team!!!!:herewego!:
    It usually comes easy to me, even in the "face of adversity", but this year, has REALLY been trying my "optimism"...
    I`ve really been trying to convince myself that we can turn this around, mostly, for the same reasons you just pointed out in your post...
    For one, I really expected this division to be better overall, than they have been so far.
    As is, winning the division is doable, IF(BIG IF), we stop killing ourselves.
    Here`s hopin we get it together and make another improbable run!:herewego::steelflag:
    However... UNTIL they actually show me some proof that they can do it, it`s becoming painful to get my hopes up, and be let down again, the next game.
    I have had low expectations, but then, against Chicago, and the Vikes, we start coming back, playing with effort, and I start thinking, "YESSS!!!! Here it comes!!! We`re gonna pull this one out of the fire!!!"...
    Annnnd...
    "DAMMIT!!!":mad::frustrated::dizzy:"Not, AGAIN!!!!"...
    As long as the players keep believing, and don`t get into that "Oh crap, here we go again" mode(like our fans are), when things go wrong in a game, anything is possible...
    At least I saw determination, not resignation, on the faces of the players, the last 2 games...
    I hope they can keep that up, until they win... Kinda hard to do, at this point, tho...
    The win BETTER happen against the Jets....
    GO STEELERS!!!

12. blackandbling36

blackandbling36 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not comfortable about predicting any kind of win until they show some form of ability to play a complete game. They just suck man. There's no gray area. Yes, we're only 2 games out, but they haven't showed anything at all. There's no logical reason to think that they're going to turn it around. And not saying that you are saying it, but there are people that say they are going to turn it around just because they are the Steelers. pffft. Maybe from the 80s. It's getting to the point where they are becoming an afterthought. It's been a long time since I've felt this way about them, as if they didn't matter. Losing is one thing, I could take that to a degree...but what they're doing is way worse.

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    11 years ago the Chargers were in the same position the Steelers are in now. The Chargers had a better D but they were down to their 3rd QB. I'm not saying the Steelers can break off 11 wins out of the next 12 games but a turnaround is not impossible.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    one game at a time and they get to peel a piece of clothing off the big picture of todds wife every win. major league style.:cool:

15. SteelerFan

SteelerFan Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Great Post, made me laugh.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Love the way you think.

17. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    But after week 8, we have road games vs. Balt, NE and GB!! Basically, we need to sweep each game outside of those 3 and hope to pull out one to get to 10-6.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Even if we manage to go 4-0 against a few bad teams that just sets us up for disappointment against the few remaining good teams on tne schedule.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Even if that were true, I'd take that over nothing to root for at all.

20. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Right?? I cant even remember what its like at this point!

21. lovembig

Oct 30, 2011
    thats why i stopped at week 8. they can reel us back in with hope and then loose 3 in a row.

22. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This is how the Steelers can start winning while fixing all the other issues...

1) Stop turning the ball over on offense
    2) Create havoc in the opposing team's offensive backfield
    3) Defense must get off the field on 3rd and long (#2 should lead to this)
    4) Defense must stuff the run; hold teams to <100 yards rushing
    5) Offense must sustain 5 minute drives that result in TDs a majority of the time; when not a TD be in FG range and get 3 points; this gives the defense time to rest and perform #2 - #4
    6) Defense needs to consistently make 1-on-1 open field tackles

Essentially, they just need to play disciplined and with both heart and fire. I am a supporter of coach Tomlin. However, I am concerned about his ability to instill the needed discipline and motivation, for the team, at this point. The Steelers showed more fire, on the field, in London. However, all cylinders are not firing, simultaneously. In truth, this has been an issue since SB45 (O-Line, discipline and everything else). The Steelers didn't just enter the 2013 season, and were suddenly horrible. No, this has been a long time coming.

But they have the tools to turn it around. Do they have the drive to do so...? Time will tell...

23. lovembig

Oct 30, 2011
    well it sounded good when i started this thread. too bad the Browns, Ravens and Bengals arent holding up their end of the dream.

24. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    My fear is that we'll wait till halfway through the season, turn it around, ending with an overall mediocre season that blows our draft...

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    "they need to start wining some games and they can no lose any more games."