1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Some harsh words from Big Ben on Le'veon Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Sep 25, 2013.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm not sure if he meant it to come out this way, but seemed kind of harsh to me. Maybe it's for motivation?

“Honestly, I have no idea with him,” Roethlisberger said, via Ed Bouchette of thePittsburgh Post-Gazette. “You can’t get a read on him. One day, he’s practicing, one day, he’s not; one day, he’s going hard, the next day, he’s not. I wish I could. If he was a guy like Heath Miller that you knew was busting his butt every day to get back there … Le’Veon is a rookie, I don’t know him quite well enough yet. But if he can come back and help us, we’ll take him.”

2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hmmmm...wow. Ok. I kind of LIKE this. Ben is pissed and he is letting it be known.

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No sugar coating there. Glad to hear it.

4. Cali Steel

Cali Steel

Jan 4, 2012
    I was just going to post this up. Blew my mind. Makes me think we found our ping pong player...

5. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    So that's how you point with your thumb. LOL :lolol:

6. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben seems a bit miffed..
    Someone doesn't like losing apparently. Get on the field #26!!

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Surprising to read, but I like it. I doubt Bell is going to be the saviour of the season. Its obvious Ben thinks the rook is being coddled by the coaching staff. There's certainly some animosity there. I hope Bell is going to bring his A-game, especially while pass blocking, Dwyer looked pretty strong in that aspect the other night.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Given Bouchette's propensity for tabloidesque **** stirring, I'll have to reserve judgement until I read or hear the full interview.

9. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    thats great to hear from Ben and exactly what you would hope to hear from a team captain.

basically hes saying, either your hear to help or get the heck out of the way. this team needs guys to step up and apparently Ben doesnt feel that Bell is all in yet.

i would like to hear a few more guys express their feelings like this.

now it would be nice if Ben let it be known how he really feels about his oline.

10. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder what Bell would have to say about his QB's performance?

11. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hopefully nothing since he has yet to take the field and is a rookie.

12. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Exactly.

13. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, someone should take Bouchette out back and shoot him. He stirs just to stir.
    Don't know if anyone else saw the whole interview with Anthony Smith but it used to be on you tube. When Smith was asked if they were going to win he said "Yes IF we do all the things we were taught correctly" Then BU said is that a guarantee? Smith said yes. He was answering the When Smith was asked if they were going to win he said "Yes IF we do all the things we were taught correctly" What you saw on interview was are you going to win, Yes, That a guarantee? Yes. Bouchette did not paint the whole Picture. I believe Smith was on the 2010 Packer team too. BTW Bouchette That is called Lying by omission.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, he's not called Douchette for nothing. I'd be surprised if thats the whole story. From every report I have read, Bell is busting his ass and has teammates like Clark telling him not to try and be a hero and rush back.

Put it this way, Spaeth is out for the season and Bell is almost ready to come back with nearly the same injury.

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Alan Faneca didn't like when Ben took over for Maddox. I guess some veterans don't put a lot of faith in rookies.

16. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Great point. I have no problem with veterans pulling this tactic. It is certainly meant to light a fire under a rookie/younger player. Ben knows all too well, and I am sure that is exactly why Ben did it. I am guessing that Ben is hoping Bell will prove him wrong. Coaches do this all the time. In no way can this be seen as a negative against Ben.

17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    True, but there are different degrees for a lis franc injury. Some will end a players year no matter how hard they work. Not overly fair to Spaeth to compare his situation to Bell's

18. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    More fighting amongst the crew on the S.S. Tomlin. Yippee!

19. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The more I thought about it, the more I like it honestly. Ben's the leader of this team, and he's telling the young guys to get their asses out there at practice, and work hard.

No problem with that.

20. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I like it. Somebody needs to tell these guys that. It sure as heck isnt coming from the coach. :applaud:

21. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    My guess is that Ben is more frustrated with the situation than he is Bell, personally. Bell is in and out, practicing light, practicing hard, based on doctors' orders as much as anything else. But it wasn't stated that way.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    exactly, spaeth had to have surgery on his.

ben needs to fix his own problems too. douchette needs to go away and if ben did say that he needs to shut his mouth to the press. that's not being a leader after the season he's had so far. that's throwing a rookie under the bus.:cool:

23. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    While I just skimmed through here....

Its already been said by Ben (and posted in various places...twitter/etc...see the feed on the main page) that he wasn't ripping Bell or anything of the sort...he just truly doesn't know him enough to gauge him...unlike Heath who he does know and such.

[tweet]382911091535536128[/tweet]

[tweet]382913195825836032[/tweet]

[tweet]382913512659357696[/tweet]

People and the media always twisting crap around...as usual...relax.

24. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    From a 2004 article:

"Co-captain Alan Faneca sounded less than thrilled when he discussed the prospect of a rookie leading the charge against the Dolphins.

"Exciting?" Faneca replied to a question with disbelief in his voice, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported. "No, it's not exciting. Do you want to go work with some little young kid who's just out of college?
    "Everybody's got to do a little more," the All-Pro offensive guard told the newspaper. "Everybody's got to help out, got to do a little more, do a little extra, take that extra step, put the extra work in this week and rally around him and help out.
    [TABLE="width: 127, align: right"]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD="bgcolor: transparent"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    "It's a learning process for him. He's a No. 1 pick, he's fresh out of college and that's the big thing. He's throwing in a new offense. ... He has to learn that, too, so there's a lot to soak in. It's like every play you get better, you see things, you start to realize things, how a play works, how defenses react to it. It's just a process.""

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh I know, but if you remember, most talk was Bell missing a minimum of 8 games and here he is coming back in week 4. Wasn't trying to knock Spaeth.