1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Panic attack

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Aug 20, 2013.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    First thing I don't mean to insult anyone with what I'm about to say, but if you're going to make outrageous statements then you'll have to expect some backlash. Look I know the Steelers haven't looked too hot this preseason and there's cause for concern among Steeler fans. What I don't get is all the knee jerk reactions like some saying we'll finish last in the division or we suck. Is this some peoples way of distancing themselves from the team in case they do finish last? We have to get several games into the season before we can even start to know how good or bad this team is. It's preseason people take a step back.

Some here are calling Bell a bust. Really after four carries? Sorry, but that's just silly!

JPW over L. Jones? Not going to happen, Ever! Give the guy a chance to develop. This also is just silly.

Dwyer runs very well last night, but that's not good enough cause he didn't make a few good reads on every single run. This is also silly.

7-9 season? come on! it may end up that way, but damn have some faith!

Someone suggested cutting Worilds. Silly.

Fire the ST coach after the first preseason game? LOL..........

Steven Jackson? LOL.............

The Steelers have ghosts? WTF? I don't even know what to say to that?

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They totally sucked last night, sorry.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They were pretty bad.

4. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    They were and I went on a "suck" rant today but you can bet I'll be watching the Chiefs game hoping the suckage has come to an end.;)

5. bettisfan

bettisfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This team is remolding itself internally. One offensive lineman is playing the same position they did last year and we have needed work on special teams for several years. This is not going to come together in a few weeks. We are going to need the entire pre-season before we actually start to come back together. I am not worried at this point. Ask me again week 4 of the regular season and my point of view may be entirely different. I am staying very optimistic at this point as I believe we have the players to win the division and do very well this year. HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well said!

7. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    I think the remodel has begun. Been spoiled a long time, just think the team stayed loyal a long time to vets and didnt continue trying to get younger like the Pats have done over the last 10 years

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's not just the fact that they were indeed atrocious last nite. It's the point that nothing has seemed to have changed. They talk every year about this improvement and that one yet its the same mistakes over and over again. If there's a switch that can be flipped that all of a sudden we look at least respectable I can't wait to see it.

I would really like to know how our O does anything productive against our D in practice,when we look so pathetic against the run of the mill defenses in the NFL. There no way we can be giving them a serious look on defense. The D must be practicing with one arm tied behind their backs.

There is no excuse for a O line with so many high draft picks. How is it possible that other teams get a free run at our QB yet our supposedly top of the line defense gets no pressure. That's a whole new discussion.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably HinesWarden, he's cutting everyone.

10. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it was mac and he wasn't suggesting it. He was simply asking if anyone thought that it was a possibility.

11. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Ahh, ya might try ... Boo ... :lolol:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh yeah, I did see that. No, no possibility.

13. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Except for Landry----- Sorry Couldn't resist..

Cajun-

14. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    :smiley1: touche'

15. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, i thought the "ghosts" thing was a pretty clever way for the poster to get his point across.
    Forget who it was, but, I read the thread, and while I don`t agree with some of the replies about our drafting completely sucking the last 5 years, I do agree that we have some "holes" that we thought we had filled, now lookin like maybe they are not filled as well as we expected, if at all.
    For a team who used to thrive on having quality depth at almost every position, we are now looking pretty thin, at a lot of `em, and the players already expected to step up, haven`t always been what we expected...
    Guess that`s just the nature of the league, now... But it sure seems like it used to be different for us.
    I know, I`m spoiled... and I kinda like it that way!:lolol:

16. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    my biggest concern is that we keep seeing the same mistakes that we were seeing last season.

drive killing penalties. we saw 2 of them inside the redzone on plays that led to 1 and 10 inside the 10.

terrible and i mean terrible oline play. DeCastro looks like he is going to be great, but other than that they look pretty bad and please don't tell me how great Pouncey is because hes not.

bad oline equals no time for the receivers to get open and Ben wont make it 16 game again this year.

big questions at the rb position.

special teams look bad AGAIN.

the defense still looks old and they need Hood, Heyward, Woodley and one of the other cb's aside from Ike to step up. Shamarko looks like he might be very good and they are going to need him since Clark and Troy are near the end. if they can get one more real good year from those 2 it would be nice. they need some play makers on defense and they need to find a way to get sacks and turnovers.

im not trying to be all gloom and doom, but the reality is staring us all right in the face. this is a team in turmoil and in flux. right now sitting here on a Tuesday night i cant say this is a better than 8-8 team at best.

is there talent there? sure, but you can have all the talent in the world, but if you have bad coaching, bad oline and very few play makers on defense you aren't going to be very good. oh yeah and very undisciplined.

17. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I hear ya, LoveEm...
    I share the exact same concerns.
    And I really do try and be positive, and drink the Black n Gold Kool Aid...
    OOOHHH YEEAAHHH!!!!
    But, when I have to defend my team to other team`s fans.... They aren`t givin me much ammo, other than what they HAVE done in the past...
    Recentley... I just want them to play well, and give me examples that I can point to, of why we are a better team, than team "x"...
    They are starting to lack in that department.
    Maybe, Ben being healthy, will get back to what he was doin at the beginning of last year, and remind me of why I was confidentley singing "Pittsburgh`s got a quarterback... Pittsburgh`s got a quarterback...!!!"...
    After I saw his rookie season.
    Ain`t ready to write him off yet, but the magic needs to shine again....

And the same can be said for most of the team.
    I`m not scared to have our defense on the field, but I don`t think the opponent is, either, anymore...
    I`m hopin and hopin, that we can kick sum ass this year, but so far, I have seen too many of the same recurring problems.
    i had thought that after last season, the players would take it upon themselves, to be better, regardless of the coaching...
    Now, I just ain`t feeling it.
    We`lll see what week One brings...
    But it ain`t gonna take much for me to get that "here we go again" feeling, and NOT in a good way!!!
    GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As one of the those who was critical of Dwyer I feel that it wasn't a knee jerk reaction on my part but a more realistic view of his performance given his status. He has been with the team for four seasons now and while the offense is in its second year and the oline is learning to execute the zone blocking scheme correctly he should be doing some of the fundamental things better. He is pushing to jump ahead of Redman and perhaps be the starter and primary back he should (after last years fumble bug) be making ball security one of his highest priorities not proving the media wrong on twitter. He should be able to demonstrate a solid screen play and he should know that he is not a juke runner and should lower his shoulder and power forward north and south. The coaches know what he is good at so putting new material on tape in a preseason game isn't going to wow them so much if you can't do the little things right as well.

I will agree that there is some knee jerk like reactions but I don't think Tomlin and the Team are going into these games with the goal of scoring points and winning games I think they are looking at them as extended practice sessions and evaluating the rookies. I saw nothing from teh first team offense to suggest that they were actually treating it as a football game.

19. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    They crushed us. We sucked.

(Good thing the games aren't real for another 2 weeks. :))

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Scott Chab will be ok if I mold one of his catchphrases. Cut Him! Cut Everyone! HAHAAHAHHAAHAH!!!!

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Right now I'm wondering if some of "us" fans shouldn't be cut? We have a whole season to worry why worry during pre-season when your seeing one running play and about two passing plays for our entire game plan? I don't mind people evaluating and complaining to a degree but there are a few that I am thinking about placing on suicide watch. As my granda ma once said, "Don't worry it will all work out in the end", of course, she was 6-0, 190 and ran a 4.5 forty!

22. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I dont put much stock into the pre-season. I veiw it as way to get our guys back into the groove and see what some of the younger guys have to offer. Score means nothing, just want to stay healthy. Hey remember a several years back when the Lions went 4-0 in pre-season and were out scoring opponents by large numbers, all the hype surrounding them, well how did that turn out?? Lets see 0-16 LOL I'll see were we stand come opening day and throughout the season!

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm not in panic by any stretch of the imagination. However, that's largely due to the fact I didn't have particularly high expectations for the season to begin with. THe best teams have depth and that's something we don't have especially along the offensive line. At this point we should at least be able to block and pick up blitzes and that simple task is an issue. One of the fundamental aspects of a game that they've been playing for 15+ years and they're getting beaten left and right. Now some people say the running game looked pretty good in week 1 and that's true to an extent, but the Giants were missing half of their starting defensive line. If it was a true test of #1's vs #1's I'm betting the results would have been far worse. Preseason doesn't mean anything, but you should be able to play fundamentally sound football and the Steelers are long way from doing that.

There's one other thing that really bothers me and that's their apparent decision to "establish an identity" in regarding the running game. I'm sure some people on this board think that focusing on the running game is a great idea for preseason. I couldn't disagree more. If we are going to do anything this season we will have to be able to throw the ball and that takes practice as well. It takes time to find a rhythm in the passing game and focusing on running is only going to hinder the passing game. It would be great if they finally figure out how to run the ball over the next two weeks, but once the season starts our passing game will be lagging behind. If we're going to be a balanced team we need to practice being a balanced team.

24. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think there is a purpose to the playcalling, the shuffling at OL etc. They want to know what they have before the games really matter. We are a very young team, unless you listen to the national media. There is going to be growing pains. I like the fact there is plenty of tape to review and work on. I would be more concerned if everything was going smoothly right now. I hope to see improvement Saturday night vs. the Chefs and I think you will. You didn't see Ben panicked on the sideline or pulling a Sanchez and asking to play well into the 3rd quarter to get reps. I am hopeful that the pieces will start to fall into place in two weeks.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think I know who some of them are :lolol:

While it was terribly disappointing to see that performance, I couldn't care less that we lost, I think people are actually upset that we aren't winning these games. Who gives a :bscow:

We still have 2 more to go though to see if they can iron out some of these wrinkles. If we cut out the mistakes, penalties and mount s few scoring plays and still lose, I'll be happy, I don't care who wins these games.