1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Pick of the 2013 Steeler Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Fe3CCity, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes he did, I've given up on Shaner, its a very irrational unhealthy hate thing he has going on with Ben. All I can say is I hope you have to endure him for 10 more seasons Shaner :yahoo:

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will have to say Shamarko Thomas, The way Carnell lake raved about him, with his
    excitement of the player means alot to me, Carnell lake knew how to play football,
    Lets hope this player can get up to speed quickly, so the Steelers have options
    when Troy misses half the season with an injury, A quick question, do you think Jarvis Jones
    upper body needs work, man what I saw on TV, is not much definition for a LB, hey the Steelers say
    he is a FOOTBALL player, and that is alright by me. Here is HOPING all picks work out great.

3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Jarvis Jones :thumbs_up:
    6-8 sacks in his rookie season with potential 10+ sacks/year thereafter.

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like all of them.. However, my favorite selection is Vince Williams. He's a physical presence, sure tackler and vocal leader on defense. I predict that he'll see the field quickly and become a Steeler Nation fan favorite.

6. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

do you hate the 2 SB rings hes won for us too?

HINES

7. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I thought the first four picks were all good and it's tough to choose between them. I guess I would go with Jones, simply because he is our 1st pick.

Haven't seen a lot of Jones but from everything I read, he sounds outstanding.

I am a Big 10 guy so I like Bell and I also like his size, but I also think he is similar to Dwyer.

Wheaton caught my eye a lot last year, every time I seen him he was making a play and waving to the camera.

I haven't seen much of The Shark either but I really like what I read.

8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why would I hate the SB rings that our team (mostly our defence in my eyes) won for us? That makes no sense. I hate Ben the person, but it doesn't mean I won't cheer for him for as long as he's our QB. I do want him gone though, but don't want just anyone to replace him. I want a good, young QB to take the job away from Ben and I want our winning ways to continue. Maybe Jones is that guy, maybe he's not

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    in terms of round and upside , i like a lot the 7rd pick on nick williams , better keep an eye on him

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm liking this pick, he's part of the reason I don't feel as bad about losing Simon anymore, he's a leader in his own right and more athletic.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Tell me about Ben the person. I've never met him, but it sounds like you have - or do you hate him based on heresay and allegations that have been proven to be baseless?

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I finally had the chance to watch a bunch of Hawthorne's play, and I can definitely see what our guys like in him. His coverage ability looks tailor made for our scheme. He shows really nice zone responsibility awareness, and shows the vision and instincts to pick up guys coming into his zone from elsewhere on the field. It's one thing to be effective playing zone when the guy lined up opposite you stays in your zone. It's quite another when you have to pick up somebody who is crossing into your zone, or picking up an H back who is running a wheel route down your sideline out of the backfield. I'm specific on the latter because if you watch the Terry Hawthorne Shrine Game clip on youtube, that's exactly what he covered flawlessly near the end of the clip - for an int in the end zone. Watch the clip below just before the 3 minute mark. Coverage aside, he also shows a willingness to mix it up and hit people - maybe even too much of a willingness. I saw him make late hits at the sideline in 2 games (vs. Ohio State, vs. Penn State), although one of them was kind of a ticky tack call by the ref. More importantly, I've read that he's had concussion issues, and that could limit his career if he isn't more judicious about when to sail into someone with wild abandon. Still, it's a lot better having to coach a kid when NOT to be overly physical than to have to get a non-physical player to enjoy contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lmfnt6dREE

Good player, and I think an absolute steal in the middle of the 5th round. Look for him to be a key special teamer this season and play meaningful snaps on defense in 2014.

Edits: a bit more info on him in this "official" bio on the school's website. Apparently he scored 28 TDs as a high school receiver/DB, and had a 44.8 yard punting average (emergency punter maybe?)

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hawthorne_terry00.html

13. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I like the Thomas pick. :yeehaw:

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like 'em all, but i hope justin brown makes this team. we need scoring badly right now. i hope these new weapons can make up some of what we lost in scoring.:cool:

15. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I had no idea who Hawthorne was, but, after watching some of his games posted by Snack, on the main page, I can`t believe he fell to us.
    Was it an injury thing?
    This kid looks OUTSTANDING!
    (Musta blacked out the headache he was to my Buckeyes, too...)
    Not many lb`s can contain Miller, the way he did...

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    He did have a couple injuries, but I think he mostly fell because he wasn't as good in 2012 as he was in 2011.

17. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Dont see it 58.....lucky this guy makes practice squad..We will see...

My fav...Bell the next Bus!!!!

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    58 is right, this guy will be a fan favorite and new leader on defense, he was already taking over in camp, telling people where to line up. Just has to improve on his pass coverage, he's good against the run and a sure tackler like 58 said. He just has to improve to the point where he can stay on the filed all 3 downs, he hits everything that moves, already impressing the coaches.

19. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bell is my favorite as well. Great minds think alike!

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    LOL....Lets see how we do BFT....

21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I posted when the combine started that I would love it if we got shamarko in the 4th...... after the combine, I was convinced if we didn't get him in the 3rd, that we would miss out.... 4th rd. rolls around and look who's sitting there........ I love this kid!!!!!!!!!

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Bell is the perfect pick as far as talent PLUS need PLUS where we took him in the draft.

My Dark Horse favorite guy is Vince Williams though...I like his nastiness...

23. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I sure hope Brown makes the final 53, IMO he will NOT last long on the practice squad before someone scoops him up.