1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Steelers Draft Discussion Thread [No Spoilers]

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Apr 25, 2013.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't bow to the professionals when the GM starts listening to the fans that's when he ends up sitting with the fans. I just don't understand when fans get bent out of shape over a draft pick and say how terrible a pick it is just because the team didn't draft the player you like.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    What choice do you have? Sorry, but what a meaningless line of conversation this is. Message boards are for discussing and sharing opinions. I assumed it was pretty well known that no one here has a say in the team's management decisions.

And the FO being perfect is implied from time to time when someone throws out the 'I think I'll trust in the FO, they know better than you' card. It happens on here on occasion.

3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    colbert said they had a third round grade on him , thats why they traded up to get him...
    I said along time ago that we would prob draft jones,

4. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Tell me again why we drafted him? Good player!! Just dont need him!!!

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    well since i don't believe they will ever say the mess around , if they really have the third rd on him what they had on nassyb ? a first ? and dysert ? he was a 7rd , everywere landry jones was scouting like a 5th at best , i don't know i don't want to be to harsh but a a 3rd round on landry jones if is real scare me more than the pick they made

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    who we talkin about jones??? os thomas?? JONES is much better QB than the others here, esp (geno,) the kid is a winner, as far as Thomas i guess they wanted a hard hiting sfty. I have watched OU just aboufght evry season and this has been Jones'es wrst season yet,

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    No they had a 3rd on thomas, Pollian said JONES was the best QB in the draft, i believe he knos what he is talkin abot, Im not a big fan of jones, he is ok, but i do believe he is goning to be a great bckup,

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The man with the Steelers tattoo is officially a UDFA,get some.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought we were going to take Brown, would have been happy if they had but I'm happier with Bell, he'll help us immediately, better then Franklin and Lattimore, best in the draft IMO whereas Brown wouldn't haven't made as much of an impact immediately, more of a down the road player.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    ahhhh that's better ..maybe . i hope bell become the new s jackson and a brown the new mcclain

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Nope. Just picked up by the Jets.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Where did you see this? I was listening to Mike Francessca and he was saying what a crazy time it is for the 2 hours after the draft. Anything goes in trying to pick up FA, he said they really should document it, I think he's right, would be really cool to see this process.

13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Iguess he got his feeling's hurt bcause we didn't draft him, now he is jaded .:lolol: I dont kno why anyone would play for the jets, that org is a mess ,

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Twitter. I think it was one of the guys you see on the homepage sidebar.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    When you are an UDFA, you play for whoever throws you a bone.

Ah, thanks :thumbs_up:

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dang, TTF, that little guy keeping you up at night? ;)

I will say that our FO and coaching staff spend ALOT of time evaluating these players so I generally trust their decisions. That shouldn't stop any of us from expressing our free speech rights and criticizing them when we think they should do something else though.

17. nwsteelerfan

nwsteelerfan Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Nor should it stop those of us who for the most part like the way the draft was handled and also show support for the FO while being considered 'blind followers'.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Certainly, however I haven't seen one person try to stop anyone today from showing support, nor label someone a blind follower. I have however seen the opposite today for people who had a less than positive opinion.

Anyway, Go Steelers! :towel:

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey, I'm in the camp that likes the way the draft was handled. The point of my post was FREE SPEECH. Sorry you didn't get that part.

20. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    About the Landy Jones pick:

The time really is about right to start thinking about the QB who will take over from Ben. I thought (hoped?) that person might be Brock Osweiler last year, but it was probably a year too soon. This year, I sort of hoped Matt Barkley would fall into their laps. But I am fine with the Landry Jones pick.

The Steelers didn't draft a QB to play in 2013. Or 2014. They chose the kid who would develop and be ready in 2015 or 2016. So they wanted someone they could develop, and Jones seems to be that kind of QB. He is very smart and has played (performed well) in an up-tempo offense. Every draft pick is a gamble. This one maybe more so. But don't forget: Tom Brady wasn't highly thought of, either. Neither was Colin Kaepernik or Russell Wilson. You never know. You weren't going to find a can't-miss QB prospect in the third round.

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If our line gets its act together Ben could play for 7-8 more years.

Its fine if they pick Landry, but don't sign Gradkowski then... or sign Gradkowski to be back up for a number of years, but don't draft a qb in the 4th round when some good players are still on the board. Seems like a waste to me.

Do one or the other, but not both. If Ben gets hurt we won't win the SB anyways....

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I've been over this so many times though I just don't feel like it anymore. I'll just say that Ben isn't getting hit any more then other QB's that have played into their late 30's. Last seasons injury was a fluke, that played looked like nothing and a freaky injury resulted from it. If Ben sustains a significant injury again this year, then perhaps I'll start to rethink things.

23. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Its funny that all i heard for weeks was taking bray is ok cause he can sling it. Let him play behind ben. Now we draft a qb to sit behind ben and its a wasted pick. I dont understand

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Never heard that from me. I didn't want any QB.

25. nwsteelerfan

nwsteelerfan Member

Feb 9, 2012

After reading through the thread this morning I realize I was 'overreacting' by quite a bit. I guess I was a little surprised at the negative reactions to the draft and responded poorly. I guess that comes from living near "Seattle":shrug:?!!