1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No Sanders , No problem

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Apr 11, 2013.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Tom Brady will make Sanders look like an all pro...and the Pats are much closer to another SB appearance than we are IMO.

and I hate saying that.

I could be wrong..and I hope I am...but the Steelers have put all their eggs in the 2013 draft basket......If we are lucky we are fighting the Bengals for the last wild card spot...and the Browns are safely in 4th....if we are unlucky...the Browns are sniffing our heels for #3 in the division.

HACK

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think cotchery is just as good. he is only going into his 10th season. the last two he has barely been used. in the last 3 years they have near the same amount of receptions and near the same amount of TD's. when cotchery was the 3rd guy in NY not that long ago, he outshined what sanders has done. we are paying cotchery 1.5 mil.

i do believe between cotch and buress we would have a decent set of receivers to start the season. either cotchery or sanders, we would have to re-sign next year. cotch is a mil. cheaper this year.

lets not forget manny can now catch a pass and not be touched by a hard hit, whereas in pittsburgh it's the other way around. he see's the writing on the wall with this offense right now in rebuild mode. he's also been hurt every year he's been here. they have gotten rid of others for that. 3 years in a row and cotchery would have to play anyway. just saying there's + and - to it.

:cool:

3. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    AAAAaaaaahhhhhhh!! Brady's mom just stole Hack's identity!

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I honestly think Dan the man is going to say you don't want to be here see ya

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Dwyer did what was best for his career, as do 99% of players most of the time. How much was he going to make on the open market when all he has on tape is a couple of good games with some more bad ones and a fumbling problem and a reputation for poor work ethic? Mendenhall is the better back in every way now, in the future, and in the past, and he only got $2.5 million. Dwyer's best chance is to stay where he knows the system, and is on a team without a running back. He's the #1 here right now, and I don't think you could say that about him if he went to another team. I don't think he'd benefit from going elsewhere to be a backup. We'll try to draft or sign someone, but at worst he'll have competition. No one straight over him. Not even if we take RBs with our first two picks. It's Pittsburgh. Dwyer doesn't work at all as an example, because although neither of us has access to his diary, I'm fairly certain that he would leave for another team if offered enough money or a better situation.

Sanders, on the other hand, is a proven player who is in a system that does NOT benefit him, and has an opportunity to go to one that absolutely would. He didn't say "screw Pittsburgh, I'm outa here." He said, "Well I'll sign this, and if the Steelers want me, they can keep me." After all, if not, then they didn't want him after all, did they? Doesn't that mean the Patriots wanted him more? Where's the loyalty on the Steelers' end of things? Shouldn't he feel more at home with the team that wants him more?

I'm all for loyalty, but all it's ever been is a tiebreaker, or at best, a minor discount with other factors built into it, like not wanting to move and uproot your life. And these things usually come into play after many years with a team, not after 3 years of backup duty. I don't blame Sanders for signing at all, and I wouldn't blame the Steelers for whichever decision they make. But I think the idea that any player that looks at another team doesn't deserve to be here is laughable, and if we operated that way, we'd be relegated out of the NFL and into Division II college ball pretty fast.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What did Dwyer have to lose by waiting to see what would come his way? When the Steelers put that tender on Sanders most here thought that was a safe play because who would give up a 3rd rounder for him? Now that the Pats did, all of the sudden Sanders is some great receiver that can't be replaced. My point is, someone took an interest in Sanders despite the risk of losing a 3rd round pick. You can't say someone wouldn't have been equally interested in Dwyer. You may find it laughable but Dwyer is clearly showing the desire to be here over Sanders. Sanders is playing this card for what, a million dollars? We should further hurt our cap space to assuage his feelings of being wanted?

*had to come back in an edit this as I misread what you wrote. I for one am not saying Sanders doesn't deserve to be here, I'm saying Dwyer has shown more desire to be here.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's interesting, BF (almost typed "TE" there), because I think we're seeing the same events at different moments. My point the other day was that as soon as it looked like Sanders was leaving, people were acting as thought he was some kind of bust who we could easily replace. So that led to a kind of counter-argument where other people were pointing out his importance to the team. Which then leads to your point here.

For me, I've not changed my opinion of Sanders. He is still a valuable asset to the team, and he will be hard to replace.

As for Dwyer - I'm not going wholly for the idea that players are motivated purely by money. I think a lot of things come into play when considering a contract. Troy P is a great example of this. But it also makes sense for Dwyer to stay here, as - just like HugeSnack said - his body of work is so far fairly limited. He's our little secret in that respect, which, if he stays in shape over the summer, could be very useful next season...

As a side note, Sanders' work is obviously also limited - hence why the Pats went in low with the salary, I guess - but we should also remember that the Pats currently have that 3rd rd draft pick which we are so sure we can find another Sanders with. I'm wondering why the Pats are not that confident? Is it because they have draft picks to give away? Different strategy by Bellichick? Hmm....

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Because he couldn't, not in same league as Manny. As some posters have already stated, it is not
    as easy as you think to replace a GOOD wr check out the list Huge Snack provided? I would
    prefer we sign him long term, but at what price? He could look at Mike Wallace #s and say
    I can play just as well, if not better, I have better ball skills, Route running skills, i Should be worth
    close to what AB got? And the Steelers are going to say? The Steelers signed who they thought was
    the best WR of all them, If the Steelers want to keep Manny they will have to pay market price.
    When you have the Dolphins overpaying by a wide margin for Mike Walllace, it is hard to gauge
    a fair price for his talents. We shall see, how much they like his talents by the contract they offer.
    Are they scared of his not being able to stay on the field? this could go a long way in how
    they determine their offer?

9. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I kind of lean in Mac's direction. I don't want to see Sanders walk but I never like to see anyone walk. I have the luxury to have that kind of loyalty, these players - not so much. I think Crotch (yes, I know that is not right) is a good receiver and capable. Who knows what Bur can bring to the table next season. I don't think we are lost if Sanders leaves. As far as being an all-pro with Brady, I will believe that when I see it, mainly, because I just don't believe he can keep himself on the field. Brady is a great QB but he does hang is receievers out for a beating once in a while. As for drafting a receiver in the 1st, I am not for that, I would much rather see JH's replacement taken their but that depends on who is available. I'm pretty sure some of you wouldn't like my 1st round pick!

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I don't understand this line of thought. The FO isn't exactly showing him any loyalty and the best qb in the NFL will be throwing him the ball. If someone came to you and offered to double your salary with the best boss in your industry I'll bet dollars to donuts that you would sign on the dotted line as well.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I thought Joe Flacco was now the best QB in the NFL. :shrug:

12. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Lol.

Joe Flacco isn't even the best QB in Joe Flacco's house.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah I know, I keep going to log in under TE :facepalm: I think the thing with Sanders is just a defense mechanism, trying to make the blow less painful by some fans. I would be fine keeping Sanders but they have to keep him for longer then one season, otherwise I'd want to roll the dice with this draft, there are no guarantees but there are some tantalizing prospects in this draft. What if we came away with two HOF wideouts in this draft, it's happened before ;)

As for Dwyer, I'm just glad he did sign quickly, I still think he can be very good, just has to condition himself better.

Of course he could have, what did he have to lose by seeing if someone would show interest? Whatever his motives were for staying here, money wasn't a concern since he discarded any chance of making more.

14. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I like Breaston a lot; and you're right: he fits. If they can afford Bradshaw, too, then why not. But Breaston would be my priority.

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think if you look at the Vet contract that Breaston would get, it would be less than the qualifying offer that Sanders had, which means signing him rather than Sanders leaves you with MORE cap space than you had with the qualifying offer to Sanders. If the Sanders offer was for 2.5 million, my guess is we could get both of these guys for less than that.

16. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Antonio brown said he doesn't think the Steelers will match the offer. Is Sanders one of the players brown was talking about when he said a few guys were about themselves and not the team. We don't know what goes on in the lockerroom and maybe the Steelers only put a third on Sanders in hopes of somebody taking him.

17. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    The Steelers will match and keep Sanders if he's open and positive toward a future beyond this coming year. That's something none of us can know or predict. You only get that by being involved with the negotiations and dealing with the individual. If not, they'll take the 3rd as a gift, to what would have eventually happened anyways, and move on.

"Does he want to be a Steeler?", cliche yes, but relevant. If yes, then both parties will be able to work a deal for years to come.
    If not, best of luck and thank you for your service.
    "Next?"

18. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Not really Wallace said the whole time he wanted to be a steeler its all about money nowadays very few players show loyalty

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Of course, they say it, and money will always be the key for most of us (us, not just them).
    Not what you say, it's what you really want.

You can't be insulting too. Meaning you have to at least come to the table with a respectable offer, I think the Steelers do BTW, to provide the opportunity for loyalty. I just feel that there is a lot we don't know. As fans we hear and see snippets and then wonder why Rooney didn't shell out another million or two? Perhaps, he/they saw/heard something in the person that told them this is going to be an ongoing issue always. Sometimes it makes sense to cut your ties, and stop the financial bleeding.

Still,

There are some, that will work with them.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Breaston has some issue with his knee he may not be healthy, doesn't seem teams are that interested in signing him.

21. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    As this saga continues I really feel they take the pick and part ways. I'm telling you they drop down 5 spots in the draft, snag another pick and go from there. This team with 5 picks in the top 100 allows the FO to get 2 WRs help on D and so on. IMO Breaston will not be here. Just don't see it happen

22. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I personally like Sanders and I hope he stays. That said I don't want to overpay for him. If he stays I thinks he contributes immediately because he is talentled and knows the system. A rookie or free agent probably won't hit the gate running like Sanders would. I believe that Sanders is a solid #2 WR that shows flashes of greatness and mental mistakes (Sometimes in the same play). He could easily fix this and have a great career here. If he goes I beleive he will have a great season with Marsha who I hate but recognize he is a future hall of fame QB.

23. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Can we really call it a saga? Guy is made an offer, awaits Steelers to match or fly. It's not yet on a par with Lord of the Rings.

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    is looking at belacheat and hearing marsha whine everyday worth a million dollars for year at either place?

hey coach i like the threads, where do you do your shopping and tom, i love you man, throw me da ball.

:cool:

25. Stiller3

Stiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I wouldn't match that offer no way no how. Not a worthwhile deal to me. There has to be better places to spend that.