1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on Todd Haley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Apr 1, 2013.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    In this conversation, the difference is sample data. People are frothing at the mouth to compare a 1 year body of work to a 5 year body of work.

Aint that always the way. We've heard that song so many years in a row...we know the words by heart. :roflmao:

2. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    But isn't this exactly what happened at the end of the season when Ben got back from his injury and the offense turned to crap? Thats what I seem to remember. The quick pass, quick slant offense that was so successful early on was abandoned and a BA type offense emerged....and most people blamed it on Ben.

So when the play breaks down and Arians is the OC its the bad play calling. But when the play breaks down and Haley is the OC, its Ben being stubborn.

Ok, got it!

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/baltimore-ravens-john-harbaugh-wanted-safety-ed-reed-gone-040213

Can you believe this crap? You can't go and make your star players mad by making them practice in pads mid-season and not being all touchy feely with them. If the players don't like the coaches, you're in for a locker split and a mutiny, I tell ya! I mean, how in the heck can you have either a head coach or an offensive coordinator that makes his players mad and doesn't coddle them and give them their way all the time and expect to win the Super Bo...oh wait a minute. :eek:

4. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    LOL, I see what you did there....:roflmao:

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    For me this isn't about BA vs TH, it's about Haley bringing his bag of crap everywhere he goes.

Arizona + Haley = problems
    KC + Haley = problems
    Pittsburgh + Haley = several reports of locker room problems. Hmmm, could it have anything to do with Haley????? Noooooo, stop it, impossible, he's a sweetheart of a man, no chance it's him, puhhhleeeze, silly to suggest it, just stop, he's Gandhi.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think you are way over reacting.
    Edit-It's almost like you want him to fail but if he does so does Tomlin. Or is TH just your early scapegoat should Tomlin not get the team to the playoffs again?

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    sar·casm

Noun
    1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
    2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You edited this while I was mocking you. To answer, is that the gist of what you are getting from my posts? No, I don't want him to fail, I want him to stop being an ******* and win.

9. Concussion

Concussion Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I could be wrong but I think you mean:

i·ro·ny

/ˈīrənē/

Noun
    [TABLE="class: ts"]
    [TR]
    [TD]The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I was most definitely using sarcasm :lolol:

11. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I didn't see him being the ******* on the Steelers sideline or hear about it in the locker room that you adamantly point out. It's all hear say and rumors that you are running with in order to try and make some sort of point of which is irrelevant because he isn't going anywhere. We get it. You can't stand him. Hang it up. Get over it. It's also funny because at the same time you really don't see any faults with Tomlin which from time to time are blatantly clear.

8-8 Sucks. I hate it. You hate it. The other fans hate it. The Rooneys hate it but you still cannot hang it all all on the OC. For all we know. Big Ben and that ******* Haley might be having lunch together right now laughing about all the non sense.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're really not reading me at all. Up until these reports started surfacing, I didn't have much of a problem with him. There were definitely some things he did with play calling that I didn't agree with but he also did some things which I thought were good. I'm not trying to make any point, and certainly don't think that by airing my gripes that it will somehow make him go away, don't know from where you pulled that. This goes back to last season when Jack predicted his hiring, I was dead against it because I knew this would happen. You can close your eyes and pretend there isn't any problem but all you have to do is connect the dots, this problem has arose everywhere he's been, do you really think it's all a coincidence that suddenly there are locker room problems and that Haley has nothing to do with that? Or is it you simply don't believe Allen or any number of people who has voiced the same thing? Where there is smoke there is fire and you and others are sitting in a smokey house trying to convince yourself it's not on fire. I'm hoping like crazy that Wallace and Mendy were the ring leaders of this mess and that the ones left behind can deal with Haleys vitriol, because if you believe Haley doesn't rub people the wrong way, well then you might as well believe that the Chin didn't shower people with spittle.

And another thing you are wrong about, I've said a number of times that Tomlin has faults. Just because I have his name in my handle doesn't mean I think he is perfect, I just choose to call out the really dumb things said about him.

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    They basically have a bromance as far as I'm concerned. I heard "Say you Say me" from Lionel Richie on the way to work today and I thought "man I bet Ben used to sing this to BA all the time". LOL!

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Who do you work harder for some you despise or someone you respect?

16. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    TE - I'm reading what you are saying but I still think that you are over reacting to this rookie OC hiring. I personally know first hand that Todd can rub people the wrong way. I can go back to bullying instances back in 7th grade if I choose to but I'm not going to. It doesn't make one iota of difference being that it was the norm back in those days as opposed to the politically correct era that we live in now. I'm just stating that it is my belief that you would rather see him crash and burn just to say I told you so. At least that is how it sounds in this thread to me.

I also believe that the Rooneys knew what they were getting with hiring Haley in that maybe they needed someone to step in and not be a buddy to Big Ben and to actually try and get him to play a more confined style that is not back yard sandlot fling it and wing it which will ultimately cost them their QB's durability and longevity. Protecting their investment if you will. No one can argue that it worked early in the season until Ben got crunched and then went back to his old style.

Blaming him for locker room issues is far fetched speculation at this point in the discussion IMO. Wallace wants the ball more. Well, who doesn't want to be the hero? Problem is when he got it thrown his way he often dropped the pig skin. Thats not going to bode well with any OC out there. Mendy is just a scatter brain indecisive runner behind a mediocre line and that is why they went to the RBBC which failed. There are 53 men on every NFL roster and 32 teams also have some sort of locker room issues. It's just human nature. Not all will get along.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I work for whoever my boss is and I do my job regardless. With a question like that it's almost like you think Ben might sabotage the team or something. Ben doesn't play for Haley. He plays for the Steelers. It shouldn't matter who the oc is. Ben should be giving everything he's got on every play.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Although me and Tomlin_Era are on different sides of this issue I can tell you that he wouldn't wanna see Haley fail because that means the Steelers would fail and that's where his allegiance lies first. As does mine. As does JackAttacks. As does Strummerfan. As does Dick Shiner. We just disagree on this one issue. Tomlin_Era was a big fan of Haley for a certain stretch of this season and his issues are based on honest concerns that he has personally with Haley. I really believe if Haley pans out that he'll be a cheerleader for him again. Just as I will step down as President of his fan club if he doesn't pan out. As of right now I am still in office though.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Also as JackAttack and myself have said when we talk about wanting to see an OC that will get up in a dude's face I think a reason I might want to see that as a fan is...A) It can cause a guy to dig a little deeper and B) It's a way for a fan to let a player have it vicariously. I honestly think there were times during Bradshaw's career where he would have flat out like to have flattened Chuck Noll but he done what he was told and our trophy case bares witness to that. I've even heard that Jack Lambert was hard to get along with but when it came to the field they were pros and were able to overcome their differences and again the trophy case bares witness and so does Canton. Phil Simms didn't like Bill Parcells but Parcells got more out of him than any other coach could have. Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka couldn't stand each other but we all know the story of the 85 Bears. If those two could have sat aside their ego's who knows what heights that team could have reached. Maybe the same goes for Ben and Haley.

20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Unfortunately that's not the way it works. Ben is an employee just like you and it has nothing to do with Ben sabotaging the team. Although it could prevent Ben from extending his contract. WHen you lead people(haley's position) there are two ways to go about the task. YOu can yell,scream, and throw temper tantrums or you can earn your employees respect. If you go the Haley route your employees do their job;however, if you earn their respect they go the extra mile. I guarantee you if Haley had chosen the latter we never would have seen that Roethlisberger press conference where he through Haley under the bus. Personally I think Ben's comments were spot because Haley played directly into the defensive coordinator's hands, but it wouldn't have happened in a press conference. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying everything has to be all warm and fuzzy while they sit around singing kumbaya(sp?), but these are grown men earning millions not high school kids.

21. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I just wanna know where any report is that Haley has lost his temper. I've not seen any. This is pure conjecture when people talk about this. Haley almost won the Super Bowl in AZ. He's not a scrub dude. Also people keep saying that Haley did that with Warner and Fitz. Well BA has been pretty lucky in his qb situations too. No pun intended.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

[video=youtube;tqdvn_BQUgU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqdvn_BQUgU[/video]

Conjecture my ass. You think he got a personal foul penalty from the sidelines for his pleasant demeanor? You can claim that he almost beat us, but he didn't and that's the end of it. For the love of god he's a career sub 500 coach. Todd Haley inherited a potential future hall of fame QB in Warner. Arians developed future hall of fame QB's in MAnning and Ben. Andrew Luck may turn out to be great, but there's a just as a good a chance that he doesn't. And to say/imply/infer that Arians didn't have some positive impact on him is foolish.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...s-sideline-antics-wearing-thin-in-kansas-city

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That's common knowledge. Has he misbehaved while employed by the Steelers?

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Seriously? I've never accused you or anyone else that bash Tomlin of wanting to see him fail just so they could say I told you so. I'm voicing concerns about a guy who has a history of this stuff and now more reports of problems surface at his new team and people get on Tomlin about his lack of emotion and cliches as if any of that makes a freaking difference. If anything, I'd want Haley to succeed so he can get a HC job some where, if he fails I'm stuck with his sorry ass. You're right about one thing, I don't like Haley, I don't like the way he treats people, I think he's a grubby little **** but I'd never want to see him fail because it means the Steelers fail. As far as the Rooneys go, they aren't God, they can be wrong you know and when it comes to hiring OC out of house, they usually are, if Haley doesn't turn things around you can add him to the list of failed OC's that were brought in from the outside.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, I have no problem with fiery, I think Cowher was the perfect blend of a coach, he was fiery but also a players coach, he commanded respect and his players loved him. Haley hasn't figured out how to do it without alienating a bunch of his players.