1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My Steelers 7 round mock 1.0

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Tdot Steeler Fan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1st - Cordelle Patterson WR
    With a little grooming, this raw prospect could develop into the tall WR Ben has always wanted. Was thinking of Keenan Allen but Allen looks like he has poor balance and no straight line speed or game chaning agility.

2nd- Giovani Bernard RB
    Seriously underated, reminds me of a Ray Rice type back. Low gravity, cutback back perfect for Zone Blocking scheme.

3rd- Bacarri Rambo FS/SS
    Exciting safety prospect who can play the run and has a nose for the ball. Is a playmaker with fumbles.

4th- Sean Porter OLB
    In what draft haven't Steelers selected a OLB, Porter gives Keith Butler another project to develop. Huge upside.

5th- Nico Johnson ILB
    May be a bit slow but can be the thumper to Lawrence Timmons with Johnson being the run stuffer and Timmons the playmaker TE covering LB. Also gives us another body incase Sean Spence doesn't return. (Praying for a healthy recovery for him.)

6th-Tyran Mathieu CB
    Playmaking CB who will probably drop due to off field and hasn't played since 2011. To those saying he will go 3rd-4th round remember Alfonzo Dennard last year? Was 1st rd material but slipped all the way to 7th. An exciting playmaking CB who is hungry to prove doubters wrong. Was also thinking Gavin Escobar (TE) at this spot for some TE insurance but I'm intrigued with Paulson right now.

7th- Jordan Rodgers QB
    Yes the younger brother of Aaaron. Can develop into a serviceable backup for Ben once Batch retires.

Don't think OLB is as big as a need as some say. Harrison if not cut is still serviceable and it's time for Worilds to play full time. He had 5 sacks in half the time Woodley & Harrison has.
    So what do you think? All comments are appreciated, this is my first ever mock.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I like it overall. I mentioned in another post awhile back that we ought to think about Rodgers in the later rounds. We know he's got good QB genes.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I hope we don't go RB and WR in the top two rounds. I'm hoping one of those goes to ILB/OG, or if the right value falls into our laps, S/OLB. That said, I like the RB and WR you've chosen. At the moment those guys are my choices as well, if we had to go that route. Bernard in the 2nd I could definitely get on board with. I like Patterson in the 2nd too, but he's risen way too high now. I agree that OLB is not as big a need as some are making it out to be, and so I wouldn't mind putting it off until round 3 or later, or even next year if James is coming back healthy. That's still a position where I trust the Steelers far more than any draftnik/pundit in the world.

I haven't yet seen the film on Rambo and Porter, but I like the idea of where you have us taking those positions. I hope you're right about Mathieu dropping to the 6th. You never know.

4. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like the mock. I'm not in love with Patterson, he plays like a little WR in a big body. I'm one of the people that believe OLB is a big need, so I'd probably take a Jones, Ansah, Moore in the 1st. Overall, I'd be happy with the talent that you've selected though. Love the Rambo selection in the 3rd.. Nice mock.

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be very happy with this, but I'm not a fan of Patterson. He's got a high ceiling for sure, but I'd like a more polished receiver honestly. If you swapped that pick with Keenan Allen or my favorite, Deandre Hopkins, I'd love this draft.

6. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    17th overall is too early for Patterson IMO. Honey Badger has been talked about on here before, but I don't see us taking him...period.

Other than that, I like the other picks.

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    1st Round WR's that I remember:
    1.Plaxico
    2.Troy Edwards
    3.Holmes
    4.Lynn Swann

3rd round and later picks at WR that I remember
    1.Hines
    2.Wallace
    3.Brown
    4.Yancy Thigpen
    5.Ernie Mills
    6.John Stallworth
    7.Randle El

You run a bigger risk taking a WR in round 1. Wait to later round to get a WR. Just my thoughts

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think that it is risky to take a WR who has questions marks. I haven't watched enough of Patterson to make a fair assessment yet (although I will soon), but I read a lot him being more of a highlight reel player than a consistent every down player. I have see a LOT of those types of players fail in the NFL because they go so many fewer opportunities to make those highlight reel plays against NFL talent. If your going to take a 1st round WR, and that guy is not a freak (ala Megatron), then IMO you need to see very consistent film.

While I am starting to warm up to a number of receivers in this draft, I still think that the only one that I see who shows the consistent every down play to be worth a 1st rounder is Keenan Allen out of Cal. He quite literally does everything well on tape, and I've watched every complete game of his that I can find online. The only question mark is whether he can be a deep threat - not because he has shown anything negative on that front - but because he's never had a college QB who can actually throw a deep ball within a 10 yard radius of where he's aiming it. I would take him at #17 without hesitation because he shows up on every play and helps his QBs by always finding a way to beat coverage and get open. We need that kind of guy.

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    hate the first pick with a passion. not crazy about second. i like the rest ofthe draft. i would hate it if we went offense with first two picks. patterson is a head case. i.will continue to say it every chance i get. i have meet the kid and know alot about him. trust me

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I ve been pretty clear how I feel about Patterson...I LOVE him and would be the happiest person on the planet if we drafted him. However, I think he will be long gone by the time we draft - Im thinking the Bills will take him. I love your third pick too!

11. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    what about him makes you love him? just curious.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll answer this one too since I also like him. He's got good speed, size (6'3"), was successful in the SEC and has an added bonus of being a good return man. He also gained 308 yards rushing with 3 TD's, the guys a complete weapon. Now, if what you say about him being a head case is true, that would be troubling but I really have not seen that reported anywhere, the closest I have seen to a knock on him is that he is raw.

13. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the first pick will be the best talent between: safety, mlb, and d-line. It is the defense's turn for round 1.

I think that rounds 2 and 3 will be the best talent between receiver, running back and maybe tight end. Round 2 may be a defensive guy that they liked that dropped.

I am expecting in rounds 4 and 5 between: safety, lb, and d-line depending on the round 1 pick.

Rounds 6 and 7 will be picking the best talent available, any position.

I do not have names.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  14. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    i can tell u for a fact that in meetings he would not listen to coaches. he never learned the playbook and that was obvious with all the wrong routes he ran. as hard as bray was to coach, i know a former coach who said if he were tyler he would get pissed too. i ask him abiut two picks bray threw in a game. coach told me himself patterson ran wrong route. if the steelers coaches do their homework and talk to some of the former staff at tenn, they wont touch him in the first. he is talented i will admit but he thinks he knows better than the coaches. a teammate told me and i quote " there is a reason he went to jr college. dooley is trying to save his job is why he is here"

15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Raw may be a understatement I remember reading a scout saying he had no idea how to run pro- routes and he didn't catch many balls at the combine. His exact words were that you would have to start from scratch. Not my idea of a worthy pick at 17. I would want and expect a more polished receiver at that high of a pick. I'm officially on the Tavon Austin bandwagon he fills so many needs for us. Size shmize the guy is a weapon anywhere you want to line him up. There will be bigger receivers with talent to be had later on,if we so choose. Ideally I want to trade back pick up another pick and still select Austin. We need to surround Ben with weapons with the time he has left.

I know everyone says we have similar guys in Brown and Sanders,but Sanders staying healthy is a question mark. We all thought we had so much depth at WR last year and look what happened. Austin can help us in so many areas WR,KR PR and can even come out of the backfield if need be. He is 5 times the player we thought Rainey COULD be. He was training with Ike a month or so ago,so you have to respect his work ethic and Ike even said he's a special player. We shall see.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    IMO Austin is nothing like Brown and Sanders. I see him as an elite slot guy. He's Welker+. The only problem that I have with taking Austin is that I'm not sure how he would fit into our scheme, and how our QB would mesh with him. The guy could be an absolute weapon with the right system and QB. With guys like Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Rodgers and others who get the ball out quickly, he's a killer weapon because he will almost always be in and out of his break while the CB is still reacting. We're talking 100+ catches, 1,200+ yards and a handful of TDs out of the slot. However, I'm not sure that Ben is the right guy to maximize his potential. Does anyone really see Ben working underneath routes all day to a quick slot guy? While Austin has the speed to go vertical upon occasion, that doesn't seem to be his game.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy's game, and I think that for the right system he may be the #1 receiver in this draft. However, for us I want a guy with size, crisp route running, hands, and the ability to catch the ball in traffic. We need an X, not a slot.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers do a very good job scouting WR's, I'm sure they will do their hw and steer clear if they don't think he is a good fit but I like his teammate better anyway, Justin Hunter, I'd rather take a receiver in the 2nd but Hunter had a good combine and many think he will go in the later rounds of the first now, we might have a shot at him. He's the type of target Ben would love.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hear what your saying and you are right, but he is so dynamic. I think all our guys have the ability to go vertical and I like the unpredictability of that,instead of one designated deep threat(wallace). I would like to have size at the WR position as well. Like I said we could address size later in the draft or bring Plex back for another year. I also think the other dimensions he brings like KR,PR could help us tremendously . He's not a talent that is so easy to pass up on especially if we can trade back. We're one injury at the WR position away from being in dire straits. With Manny's track record of being hurt ,its a possible scenario. I know you don't draft a player assuming injuries may happen and I realize we have other holes to fill as well. If we decide to go another route be it defensive or OL or whatever that's fine but if we are going WR in the first then nobody is more worthy and no one will have as much immediate impact as Austin.

There used to be a old auto repair commercial back in the day. There was a guy with a hammer in his hand and he used to say "We'll make it fit". lol.

19. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    the only problem i have with justin is his inability to catch the ball consistantly. i have found out that last year he was worried about the knee alot. is worth a first no. in the second or third i guess i would give him a shot. he is a good kid but seems to lack concentration. i will say the coaches praised him before the injury. he was a good teammate and worked at his route running. after injury not so much. but the inmates were running the asylum by the time he came back from acl. put him in a strong locker room and maybe he works out.

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Hunter's production in 2012 was higher than Patterson's as well. 73 catches/1,083 yards/9 TDs vs. 46 catches/778 yards/5 TDs. I wonder who was drawing the more focused coverage? It would seem likely that, at least early in the season, Hunter would have been the focus of the opponents' coverage scheming because he was the more proven player entering the season. When I get around to watching game tapes of these guys, I'm going to pay special attention to watching them both, seeing which of them is drawing the top corner and safety help, and also watching (to the extent that it can be seen) how crisply they run routes and how they block downfield. IMO the best way to do this type of evaluation is to find a game tape that focuses on a defensive player that they were facing. For example, a quick search on youtube turned up a "Dee Milliner vs. Tennessee 2012" video. That one may reveal a bit about the Tennessee receivers.

21. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I love Justin Hunter... In the manliest man love kind of way.

He's been my 2nd rounder in every mock I've done, but I read this week some scouts are saying no way he gets out of round 1, UGH! Prior to his knee injury he was getting Randy Moss comparisons. After his knee injury I could see him being a Plaxico, but as he showed at the combine, his knee is getting better and he's getting his speed back.

Hunter reminds me a lot of Sweed, who could've been a force but he was very mentally weak. I don't think Sweed had bad hands, I think he just got in his own head too much. Ben would do cartwheels if we drafted him, I'm sure.

However, it now looks like he's only an option if we traded down.

22. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry, yesterday was crazy so I didnt get back on here after posting that so, thanks, Tomlin for answering. The size thing is huge for me (save the jokes please lol). I see all of these teams who have a big, strong WR and they go up and FIGHT for the ball. Even if its not a perfectly thrown ball, they can still come down with it. Brown and Sanders are SMALL - fast but small. He was really fast at his combine, too.

23. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It is really interesting to watch....suddenly guys who were going to be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds at skill positions are moving quickly up the board. It happens like this all the time, every year. No talent. Weak on high end guys. Then suddenly teams fall in love with player X and they start shooting up the boards. The draft takes a completely different shape.

24. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    hunter made his hay against akron, ga st, troy, and missouri. when he faced a top db he struggled to catch the ball when he was covered. banks at miss st held him to a cuple of catches i think. same with bama and georgia. he struggles against good competition

25. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    realy u can say the same about patterson. take away the ncst, troy and i think florida his stats r average. he had monster games against ncst and troy. he ran a reverse against georgia but i bet he didnt catch three balls