1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Werner

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Sauce, Mar 1, 2013.

1. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Ansah can play OLB what does it matter how much he weighs? The Steelers obviously don't care about the "cookie cutter mold" or Levon Kirkland would've played DE.

2. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    does anyone know if they dock reps at the combine. if so is there anyway to find out how many uncounted reps a player would have had.

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    You can mention "most guys at that weight..." but the fact is most guys with his size don't have the crazy amount of speed and athleticism that he does... His size/speed combo is the reason he's such an intriguing prospect.

He'd be the DL/LB version of Troy Polamalu (who's basically a S/LB). It's a moot point anyway because he's not dropping anywhere near us.

4. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Yes, the strength and conditioning coach from the Rams counted them up. When the player finished, he often subtracted reps that were not clean, locked-out, etc.

5. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    so do you know how many moore might have been docked? is there video anywhere of his bench test?

6. antennaman1969

antennaman1969 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    No, I'm not sure they shot video of his "performance". I checked NFL.com, Youtube, and Google. Just a highlight clip without him.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You've got quite a high opinion of a guy who has 1 season and a whopping 4.5 sacks in college to his name. Troy is special because of football IQ. He recognizes patterns in what teams are doing and makes amazing, intuitive guesses at what they will do next. Take away his smarts, and he's simply a quick, hard hitting, run stuffing strong safety with questionable coverage ability. At this point, Ansah is a very good athlete with high potential. The only place we've seen that potential on display is as a 4-3 end, which in most schemes is a relatively simple position to play mentally (i.e. not a lot of responsibilities for a guy with limited football experience to deal with). He will probably impact Day 1 as a rotational player in a 4-3. As a 3-4 OLB, especially in our system where rush/drop decisions are often dictated by offensive formation, it could be a while before he's ready. He could pay off big in the long-term, but I see a longer road for him at OLB than DE.

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd say most of the NFL GM's agree with SBD. He has the intelligence, dedication and work ethic from all accounts to adjust quickly with the proper coaching. He may impact more quickly at DE but that could be said for many of the DE/OLB prospects. It's a mute point anyway, nobody we draft on that side of the ball will start year one.

9. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Just curious, have you watched any of his tape?

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Of course. I'm not sure what about my statements would indicate otherwise.