1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Werner

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Sauce, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Sauce

Sauce Member

Jan 1, 2012
    With guys like Jordan and Ansah jumping up draft boards after the combine, do you think it's conceivable that Werner could fall to 17? On all pre-combine boards I saw him near the top, and now he seems to be moving down due to the performance and buzz of other candidates. Would he transition to OLB in the NFL, or is he a pure DE?

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He could very well drop into the teens if Ansah and Jordan fly up the boards. He can play OLB in a 3-4, IMO. I'd have no problem selecting him at #17.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I watched a couple of complete FSU games from this past season, and didn't see a single play where Werner wasn't in a 3 point stance. Even Ansah had some plays where he dropped into coverage. Can he do it? I'm not sure, but when I watch him play I can't help thinking that he is a pure DE. In fact, I think that if he fits in a 3-4, it would be as a 3-4 DE after gaining 20-30 lbs.

4. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    When I watch tape of Werner, I see a little bit of Kevin Green in him. If he can attack the L.O.S and create pressure, I'll take deficiencies in his pass coverage skills.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    thats funny cause i thought the same thing when i looked at drafting him. i dont think we have a shot at him but someone always seems to fall. a buddy of mine thinks put alittle weight on him and he is the next aaron smith. i had to laugh cause smith is one of my favorite players. just done his job at a high level and keep his mouth shut

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I too have him at a DE position, maybe I should reevaluate.

7. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    just seen an article where he is compaired to paul kruger

8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I doubt Werner gets out of the top 10. Too complete.

Now if guys like Ansah & Jordan do move up the boards, the real casualty could be Damontre Moore. Am I going to let a bad combine change my opinion of Moore? Not for a second. He is a legitimate top 10 talent and we could only be so fortunate to have him drop down to us at #17.

I will be keeping my eye on Moore on Draft day if he does begin to slide.

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    moore seems to me a worilds clone

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I still haven't watched a bunch of Moore's games yet to form a solid opinion, but if he is as good on "tape" as many are making him out to be, then I agree. When you're drafting late, you love when a guy's stock drops for a poor combine performance. His stats scream out "monster." Never mind the 21 TFLs and 12.5 sacks, he had 85 total tackles this past season. That's a huge number for a DE. Werner had 42. Even Alex Okafor, whose strength is run defense, was in the 60's.

11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy, Steel City unless Moore has a fantastic
    pro day I am gun shy on him. I hope the Steelers
    don't touch him with a 10 ft pole. He benched 12 reps?
    Athletic talent only gets you so far,hard work is what this
    young man needs to learn.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it would be different if all we wanted these guys to do is rush the passer. that's not all our OLB'ers do. we can be ga ga over 40 times and freakish looking athletes that we all want to be the next coming, but i don't think any of them are day one starters at the position for us. and definately not opposite woodley. now if we were replacing woodley that would be different. we want to replace harrison,and alot more responsibility comes with that side and position. jordan may have the best chance of anyone, becuse he has been used as a pass defender and not just a rabid dog to rush the qb with.:cool:

13. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    C'mon mac you're making it sound like rocket science. You draft talent and then scheme to either cover-up weaknesses or utilize strengths.

14. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    You make a good point Numbah, but that's what this time of the year is all about, over-analyzing.

15. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I understand how the bad reps and 40 time are going to affect him. He very well could drop - I am hoping for it. Bad bench and 40 numbers are aside, he was top 5 in Broad and Vertical jumps. This means he is explosive. I think he is certainly stronger than the 12 reps shown, but even if he isn't, when he gets into an NFL training program, those numbers will improve.

"DaMonster" is a gamer. His tape tells the story and he is one guy I'm not going to let a couple of bad combine numbers change my mind. His experience at 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE is just the type of twiner we need. His tackle and TFL numbers as a DE this year are incredible.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you guys know exactly why they don't play rookies here on defense. until they know what they are doing they will not see the field in DLB's system. it has proven to be a very good system and not just anyone will do.:cool:

17. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Not anyone will do, no... but I'll take a gamer over a workout warrior every day.

18. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with you mac.. But it's hard to quantify just which player's will be capable.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    sure 58, it's a crap shoot and thats why colbert says we will pick guys that have shown that they can get to the qb on a consistant basis and not just guys that get close.

all these guys have their faults. jordan,ansah,okafor,moore,mingo,warner,montgomery,washington,taylor,jenkins,jones,carradine and on down the line.

the highest potentially quickest starters i see would be jordan,jenkins, and then okafor and i worry about him because of his quickness to react and get to the ball or receiver once he diagnoses the play on the move.

i just think ansah's stregnth will be as a 4-3 DE. he should make a good living playing that position moreso then OLB.:cool:

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i agree , if i can choose djo jordan would be my favourite , but he will not be available , in our situation i would trade down to add picks

21. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    We just disagree on Ansah. One year of college ball and never given a specific position leads to mistakes. He played interior line alot at BYU because he was the best they had everywhere on the D-line. With a set position and the proper coaching he's going to be a force, IMO.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree on Ansah. One other thing to consider - he's already 270+. Guys rarely come into the NFL and get lighter than their college playing weights, so he's almost certainly going to be at least 270, and probably start to creep into the 280 range, over the next few years. That's a perfect size for a left DE in a 4-3. While he has the athleticism to do a lot, I think his potential is maximized with his hand in the dirt. I am more leery of Okafor as a 3-4 OLB than you are. I don't see a coverage guy at all. I see him as a left DE in a 4-3 as well - probably better day 1 than Ansah, but with more limited long term upside.

23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I had time to quickly watch one D-Moore game early Sat AM, so I picked the Florida game because it was his biggest stat game - 3 sacks. Honestly, I was not blown away. Two of his sacks were pure coverage sacks and on the other one I think the QB escaped the pocket in his direction and made it easier on him. He didn't exactly blow up Florida's left tackle, and was taken out of a number of plays. I do like his motor though, and one could argue that his persistence was a key to the coverage sacks. I have a lot more to watch, but I didn't see the dominance that you expect to see in a 3 sack game. He was OK against the run in that game, and did make a few nice stops near the line, so that's a plus.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree with you on okafor. that's my concern as well. as i said , between the time he diagnoses the play to the time he reacts to it is not great and thats lack of quickness, not so much lack of speed but quickness to react. he has done it quite a bit in the short area, but i've yet to see him running across the formation with a TE. of course alot of bigger guys will have this trouble.:cool:

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Alhough he played in the Sec, the prospects of moore going up
    against 330 lb ot week in week out scares me with the 12 reps. I have a hard time believing
    that he could be succesfull at this level, at that strength. Maybe the pro coaching/training
    could add some much needed strength? How could you go into your
    most important job interview UNPREPARED?Once again transitioning to the pro game
    does not add up. For the kids sake, I hope i am wrong. Believe it or not, I am really
    not a measurable type guy, I like players with big motors and desire.Doing 12 reps does not show me desire?