1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2025 cap space for every team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 22, 2024 at 8:26 PM.

1. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Did Roman Wilson get injured again yesterday during practice?

I thought it was a great value pick when we got him in the third, but did he drop to the 3rd because of injury problems?

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You say a lot correct, but You have said Najee wasn't good, Russell Wilson wasn't good, and Moore wasn't good....those off the top of my head.... Tell me as the season has progressed......where would the Steelers be without those said players??? I believe You have mentioned in other post of wanting to trade each one of them. So again where would the Steelers have been without them???

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And????

4. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL... Is this one of those posters wanting to trade Watt, so we can get some extra draft picks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Not necessarily. Picking up the option gives them the opportunity to keep him for just one more season, then move on. That gives them two years to find a replacement. They could have still tried to sign him to an extension after picking up the option. In fact, they would have had more leverage in those negotiations because he wouldn't have been a free agent after this season.

I advocated all along for picking up the option, then letting him walk after the 2025 season. Get that extra year of his prime, then let some other team pay for what is likely the decline phase of his career. If he somehow has a breakout a few years into his career like Henry did, then they still have the tag as leverage to try to sign him to an extension.

The Steelers surrendered cost certainty. They surrendered leverage. They likely surrendered a very good player in his prime just as they have the pieces in place on the offensive line. Sure, they are still sorting out where some of those pieces will play, but they have one big building block now that wasn't there Harris's first three seasons. They have a stud center.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    There's a lot to unravel here. For the players:

Wilson: I had doubts about Wilson (still do to an extent), I thought his first game was ok. He got pretty lucky with nearly all of the low percentage plays (some of which were poor throws) being made by Pickens and Muth. He easily could've had 50-75 yards less passing. He didn't move well in the pocket, and had some accuracy issues. Does that mean he can't get better as the rust comes off? Certainly not. He definitely can, and will have the opportunity to show that he can. He did some good things out there too. I'm just not ready to crown him "the answer" when the game went exactly like the Raiders game did the week before. The offense was less "dominant" than the 32 and 37 points seem to suggest. Team effort with many turnovers by the defense and multiple blocked kicks.

Moore Jr.: Moore still isn't good, and I am not quite sure why the board has changed their mind on it? Surely two nicely graded games by PFF hasn't clouded us from remembering the turnstyle that Dan Moore has been for the majority of his career? He was rated in the top 10 at LT through week 2 at 78.6, but has already dropped that number down to 71.9 with 5 weeks of 69 average rated play, and will likely continue to regress to the mean where he's largely been a high 50's to mid 60's rated player throughout his career. Our line is injured and Broderick Jones looks worse this year than he did last year. Fautanu is out, Cook out, etc. He's been healthy on a roster full of injured players, so that is really nice. If we want to keep him next season, that is fine, he should be relatively cheap to retain. If we let him walk, we should have 0 issues replacing or elevating his level of play at the position. The bar isn't set particularly high.

Harris: Najee is on a two game hot streak... We will see how his season ends. I'd be ecstatic for him to turn a corner this year and be a better version of what he's been, but 2 really good games doesn't change who he was the first 58. I typically don't let a game or two determine my overall thoughts on a player, especially when there's a huge sample size to pull from. I will say that the Raiders game was the one time that I felt like he did something that set him apart (and honestly is the only game I've thought that way since a few flashes his rookie year). I think he's made other good runs of course, but the league is littered with good backs, and I don't think he's done enough to separate himself from the pack. I still think he's a middle tier starter at best at the moment. He has a shot at changing my mind of course, but he would have to turn in a huge season with double digit TD's and a 4.5 YPC average. At that point I would probably flirt with him starting to make a case to crack the top 10, but there is still a long way to go. Even if he has that huge year and we sign him to a multi year contract worth 10+ million a year, the first year AAV will still be less than the option, so we'd save in 2025 either way.

Yes, the team would be worse if all of these guys didn't exist and no replacements were brought in. That doesn't mean I don't think others could perform the same (or better) than these players in the same situation, but that's not the question. It has been nice to have all of them so far this season. I think we could be without every single one of them next season and be in the same (or better, depending on who we bring in as replacement) situation as we were with them. There's still 10 games left to prove one way or the other for all of them.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    No lol I've said a million times you don't trade your superstars. You keep them. I've been vehemently against that stupid nonsense.

I'm sorry that I don't share the rose colored glasses that others seem to have with Najee's first 58 games of his career. I'm also sorry that my opinions don't get swayed by a week or two of good play. Of course there will be some things I get wrong, but there are a far larger group of things I have and will get correct. I'll be sure to admit if/when I get something wrong (always have around here), but I don't come to knee jerk conclusions. Just because a career 3.9 YPC guy (58GP) plays like a beast for 2 weeks against some bad teams, doesn't mean he is all of the sudden he's a top 10 back... That just isn't how it works. Now if Najee turns in a 10+ TD and 4.5 YPC season this year, then I'll gladly admit I got hoodwinked by his first 3 years (mainly 2022 and 2023) and he actually became a high end player. You can count on it. But its not there yet, and I think being ridiculed for holding that position is pretty lame. Its not an unreasonable opinion AT ALL.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Moore might not be the franchise LT, but I don't think he's as bad as you make him out to be.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Its a fine enough position to have, but I don't think he's improved as much as he's been given credit for either. I don't think he's a cuttable player, I just don't think he's been a top 32 player at his position.

With how Jones has looked so far this year, its not out of the realm of possibility that we might try to resign Moore... but I just don't think he's a good enough player to get paid top dollar on the market. He should be relatively cheap.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I believe this is what every fan believed of Chuks... A decent cheap player that can fill in.... And then the Steelers sign Chuks for $29.5 million.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The question was where would they be right now. Not give me a 300 page type of You trying to make excuses . Without Moore....no starting tackle at least at one spot. Without Najee.....we would have been playing a guy we knew nothing about.....since number 2, and 3 have been hurt. Without Russell Wilson our Wrs would still have one td.