1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers playoff chances through 7 weeks…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Oct 22, 2024 at 11:02 AM.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    At this point are looking very good. They currently are the 5th seed in the AFC now at 5-2 and 4-1 in the conference. The next teams in line are Denver at 4-3, Indy at 4-3 the Chargers at 3-3 and the Bengals at 3-4 and that’s really it. Teams like the Patriots, Browns, Titans,Jags, Raiders, and Jets are all either 1-6 or 2-5 and are pretty much done as far as I’m concerned as far as having a legit chance to still catch the Steelers. The Dolphins are 2-4 and have no Quarterback and are also pretty much done as well. So that currently leaves 5 teams for 3 spots assuming the Ravens win the North. The Steelers, Broncos, Colts, Chargers and Bengals and that’s it. The Steelers own the head to head tiebreakers over the Broncos and Chargers.

So if the Steelers beat the Giants Monday night and get to 6-2 they would pretty much need to just go 4-5 the last 9 games to get to 10 wins which I feel will be good enough to get in in the AFC the way things look now. The Broncos would have to go 7-3 and the Chargers would have to go 8-3 if the Steelers win 10 games to overtake them since they both lose the head to head tiebreaker to the Steelers. The Colts own the head to head over the Steelers but looking at their schedule I don’t see them winning 10 games maybe 8 or 9 at the most looking at their schedule. And while the Bengals still could catch the Steelers being only 2 games behind them at 3-4 with two games remaining against the Steelers that’s pretty much it.

So the bottom line is if the Steelers beat the Giants and get to 6-2 it would take almost a complete collapse in these last 9 games for them not to make the playoffs. They are in very very good shape at this point for them to get in the playoffs as we reach the end of October here in the next week or so.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2024 at 11:07 AM
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Playoff WINS is all that anyone really cares about.

I think most of us were @ 50/50 odds entering the season of being in the playoffs,

heck - 44% of the teams "make" the playoffs. it is not some sort of HIGH achievement these days.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    And the AFC is not as good that last year too.The Browns are awful,the colts and Broncos are right now in the wild card spot,etc....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - plenty of teams flat out SUCK this year in our conference. We weren't sure how bad they would be, in the offseason!!!

Injuries are eating teams alive.

We technically have 2 QB's that can run this thing, right now. Not a bad thing!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The only way the Colts go on a run is if Richardson gets hurt again and Flacco comes in. Flacco is 10-1 over his last 11 games and has thrown for at least 2 TD's in everyone of them. Anthony Richardson is the worst starting QB in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Fortunately the back half of our season is easier

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Say that to the fans of the ones that don't make it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly.

9. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    "Playoff WINS is all that anyone really cares about."- Except for Tomlin....lol!

But anywho, this team will go nowhere, even if they make the playoffs. Injuries eventually get everyone in the league and then it's about your depth. Very few positions do we have quality depth. But the truth is, even our number ones (across the board) are not as good as many of the teams that consistently make the playoffs and actually win games (Niners, KC, Balt., etc). So....

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  11. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    face palm!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You can’t win if you don’t play

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Barring injuries to key people I like our chances . I feel our roster
    has better quality. Players need to step up when the lights are brightest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If Wilson can continue to work, and just get a bit better, and having Fields as an great backup.....with this D, and Special teams we can beat anyone.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2024 at 7:23 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If only they kept the great Jack Colletto, they would win some playoff games :hehehe:

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    lot's of football left to play. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Second half of the schedule doesn't look as bad as it did in September. Bengals and Eagles are beatable.... and Browns suck. That's 5 games the Steelers can win if they show up and play.

The Commanders are scary as hell. Commanders offense is built to lay an epic beat down on the Steelers. I don't like their offense vs our defense... it's not a good matchup. I'd rather the Steelers play the Chiefs, Lions or Vikings right now... than the Commanders.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Since there are 17 games does the second half of the season technically start at the beginning of the third quarter of the Redskins game

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Players need to step up when the lights are brightest.[/QUOTE]

sounds like a textbook Tomlin quote. :smiley1:

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    sounds like a textbook Tomlin quote. :smiley1:[/QUOTE]
    No, that's my quote.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    No, that's my quote.[/QUOTE]
    Let's just go 1-0 this week and see where everything stands after the bye.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    we couldn't beat the Colts Can we with Russ Will we beat the Chiefs will we beat the Bills Will we beat THE Ravens the Bengals if Russ CAN BEAT THESE TEAMS, we could win a Superbowl not just a playoff game

• Like Like x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I disagree about our depth. We have pretty good depth in a lot of places. Some we don't, but that is the life in the NFL....

QB - Great depth - we have a guy who was top 15 in the league in passer rating through 6 games sitting on the bench. Fields is an NFL starting caliber player. Great depth of course
    RB - Warren and Patterson are excellent depth players (Warren is already a huge part of the offense when healthy)
    WR - Our starters (outside of Pickens) suck, so our depth here is bad
    TE - Washington, Pruitt, Heyward. Solid TE depth
    OL - We're testing our depth right now unfortunately. I'd say its just fine, but not spectacular

DL - Adams is a great depth piece, Lowry is fine too. Can't say bad here
    OLB - Herbig is fantastic depth and plays a ton rotationally. The rest of the room is bare with Leal down, but our top depth piece is great
    ILB - Roberts and Wilson split a lot of time. We're definitely 3 deep at the position.
    CB - When Sutton gets back, I think our depth is perfectly fine. Sutton is the top outside corner back up and starting slot guy. Bishop is starting to play better and is fine as a back up slot. Trice is a solid depth guy and Pierre is mostly a really good ST guy
    S - Kazee started a lot for us last season and is the top depth guy here. Killebrew is a better ST player than S, but nothing to scoff at here.

Overall our depth is solid to really good in most areas. Just WR is really thin. OL would have much better depth if healthy, but that unfortunately isn't the case.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011

You seem to need some commas

• Like Like x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    If you have two quarterbacks, you actually have none

- John Madden