1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin looks like a genius for starting Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 20, 2024 at 11:41 PM.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    We can also hope Fields watched Wilson handle the game and how he puts air under the ball when needed. One of the posts said Russ got “lucky” on some of the throws. I know it seems that way but the point is for the ball to be up for grabs and offense has the advantage cause they know it’s coming. It would be nice to see them get Fields involved in the offense going forward. He is an amazing athlete and if he were to take the field with Russ, it will be an automatic time out by the other team.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    it was a no brainer and a decision that should have been relatively easy to make. Its not as if we had Fields first and Russ fell into our laps, it was the opposite. Russ was brought in to be the starter, he's healthy, lets see what he has in the tank......no brainer point blank and simple

5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes - D kept us alive early - with INT before the half being a GAME CHANGER!!!

We continue to not turn the ball over, CRITICAL!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I’d like to see if he can keep it up the rest of the season

But I saw nothing to indicate he can’t play next year

Keep Fields as a backup and this gives us breathing room to find a longer term solution

And we don’t have to reach in the next draft

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed we need someone better than Austin

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    +9 for the steelers in turnovers this year!

• Like Like x 1
  9. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I didn't like the decision going into the game - I definitely wouldn't have benched a young QB with a lot of heart, and a winning record - but, that's probably why I'm not on the Steelers coaching salary.

Edit: And of course, it would also be a bald faced and hypocritical lie if I were to, with a straight face, suggest that I'd not ever, even once, demanded in a Game Day thread that Fields should be immediately benched after a few errant passes. I guess that could also make me a bit of a hypocrite - but, a humble one, at least ;+)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 at 11:38 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    A lot of players have a lot of heart...I'll take the player that can use the entire playbook.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And that is why Tomlin makes the decisions and not a few board members here

Ok more than a few

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree that it was the right call, as I did last week, but it does not make sense to call it a no-brainer when so many analysts, former players, and members of this board were ripping Tomlin for doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Wilson starts the rest of the season and re-signs with the team, I can't imagine Fields would want to stay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Perhaps

But he would still be given a fair opportunity particularly in future years

Kind of like Mason hanging around

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    This one is going to be hilarious. Mark Schlereth just hated, hated Russell Wilson.

I think there is a separate thread somewhere on this board about Schlereth's comments

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I have been watching, playing and coaching football as long or longer than most of these analysts , if not all of them, point being, they get paid to stir the pot, I DONT. I call it as I see it and this was an absolute necessity to see if we have Russ at QB or if we have to ride with Justin. Thats not to say we dont go back to Justin at some point, the issues is that we had to see what Russ has now and going forward. It had to be done sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    True. I have nothing against Russell Wilson and I'm super happy for him. I don't coach football, though, of course, so my assessment will be flawed, by default. Of course, if Russell played as poorly in the second half as he did in the first, the conversation about Tomlin's decision to start him would be quite different. Thankfully, that's not the outcome we got. The "know the playbook" argument is a solid one, though, and that confidence-through-familiarity is one of the reasons why I felt like Tomlin made a big mistake by putting Mason Rudolph at the bottom of the depth chart the two prior seasons. But, of course, that's in the past now, so it is what it is.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph had started a handful of games in 2019. Fields was a three-year starter for the Bears and he played fairly well as the team went 4-2 this year. I think he will have more options than Rudolph did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes

But probably no where else as a starter so he may as well stay here

His price may just be more

And he may get more opportunity here this season

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I think part of Tomlin getting more credit than he probably deserves is that he makes so many bad decisions on and off the field, that any good one is amplified.

I said Fields wasn't really a capable passer, one or two highlight throws sandwiching a half dozen awful ones. That is the kind of QB that cannot win a game down 14-0 in 2nd quarter. That will lead to fumbles and interceptions and a 42-14 beatdown.

THAT said, I am NOT on the Russell Wilson hype train. We see all too frequently Cinderella turn into a pumpkin. I wanted Wilson to start, he played very well considering, but the schedule kind of toughens up moving forward. As a Steelers fan, I want to win another Super Bowl, or at least look good winning a single playoff game in route to a super bowl the next year. I am also worn down under Tomlin, skeptical, cynical. (Same as the hockey team and coach has worn me down).

Hopeful Russ plays well the rest of the year (and stays healthy), but skeptical.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Never going to happen.
    I have found people will break their necks to try , and say how wrong someone is, but disappear when they realize someone is right,or try making excuses.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 at 12:22 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s not necessary for me to have some people admit they were wrong. It’s pretty obvious and right out there for everybody to see.
    That’s probably why I don’t get to invested in these redundant debates.
    Some of these guys dig the hole so deep and take it so personal that they don’t leave their self an escape plan. Even when the lifeline is hanging right there for them their pride won’t let them reach up and grab it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Washington should set up like Shaq in the paint, box out and get the ball to him. It's crazy we cant figure out how to use our TE's in the end zone for a size mismatch!!

24. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Agree, Austin had a bad drop on 3rd down that was right into his chest!

25. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    I agree, our pass game had been putrid so the whole statement of this being such an unbelievable decision is curious as well as that many int he steelers management were not in favor (that scares me most as our pass game absolutely sucked with fields). You signed Russel to be QB1 and JF had you at 4-2 but 145 yards in passing wasn't going to get it done against real teams so moving to Russ was something I assumed would happen when he was ready to go. The only reason it would have been controversial to me was if JF had been lighting it up in the passing game. He wasn't so no that big of a deal to me.