1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why nothing will change under Russ

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 17, 2024 at 11:38 AM.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Because Blast only repeats the same thing 10 times.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  2. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    :beathorse:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    How clueless are young QB's about running an offense from under Center? Ben was talking out this with Pat Mccafery, and they were saying it is so hard to get young QBs to get under center that teams are now running the Victory formation out of the shotgun .

I thought that was the Stupidest thing I ever heard: and then I saw it this weekend on Friday and Saturday . WTF???

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s what they are being taught in college

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Once again hall monitor, this is a message board if @Blast Furnace wants to rant let him be. You just like poking your 2 cents in on everything . You are an annoying fly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    1. No, we didn't. Russ was named QB1, but there was never a guarantee until after the last preseason game that he was the starter. Fields played the first 6 and there was always a shot that Russ wasn't going to get back in the line up. This sentiment just is factually incorrect and easily debunked.
    2. This sentiment is true. Of course it doesn't guarantee that there is not future for Fields with the team. Especially if Russ fails as a starter (which he has an extremely high probability of doing).
    3. Of course. We're just fans, but this is a message board where fans can discuss dissenting opinions while still cheering on their favorite team. Not sure why people having/stating opinions affects you so negatively?
    4. Stop this. Different people "fan" differently, and disparaging or looking down on others who don't "fan" in a way that you deem acceptable is a bad look. This is a forum for fans of a team to have civil discourse with dissenting opinions. If you can't handle other people having different opinions or expressing their fandom in different ways then you, the YOU are the one that should get a different hobby. If you can't find a way to allow others to exist in a public space outside of the box you wish them to exist in, then maybe you aren't emotionally mature enough to handle a public forum or public discussion. You might find more joy in spaces where people willingly exist in the mental places you want them to.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'll let it play out, but this clip kind of puts a big hole in my hopes that now Freiermuth would get al lot more balls in the middle of the field. I hadn't watched Russ enough to know that he's that adverse to using the middle of the field. I was also hoping for a lot more play action. That stat that his completions actually go down when he run PA is pretty damning. It isn't a big percentage, but play action passes historically make almost everyone's completion go up not down.

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Of course things aren't going to be much different... but in today's world, people default to "instant gratification". Something isn't going the way they want it to, and suddenly its all "if only we did this, everything would be great!"... which obviously is almost never the case.

Tomlin has admittedly in the past made these decisions based on "gut feelings" and entirely devoid of logic and reasoning... so why would this decision be any different? He's got the gut feeling that benching probably our best offensive player through 6 weeks is going to light a spark under an otherwise underwhelming unit, so that is the decision that we're going to have to live with. It's either going to work, or its not... Conventional wisdom points to this not working out, but stranger things have happened in the past. I hope it works.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so how do you know what will change? you do seem pretty butt hurt that fields is going to the bench for a game. we have no idea how they are going to use both of these guys. maybe just wait and see before all the speculation. :shrug::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I agreed with his post

What was wrong with it

It’s a message board can’t he have 2 cents worth

He’s worth it

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    There's is a decent chance he plays better but huge change? Might want to temper your expectations just a tad. You're forgetting that this is Wilson's first game with a new team and coordinator, after only one week of practice with the ones. You're thinking there's going to be no rust at all?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Last week 149 yards passing, the Steelers are currently averaging 166 yards per game.

I am thinking 250 yards against the Jets... Too much?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    For what it's worth, here's a Reddit page with some Broncos fans and their opinions on Wilson from last year. Some good, some bad. Sounds like some of them had the same complaints about Wilson as people do about Fields this year. I guess we're probably going to find out soon enough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DenverBroncos/s/4Gq7MaePaE

14. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Seems a little high to me. I would be happy with it for sure but I definitely see them really trying to lean on the running game to start with and try and get Russ comfortable first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didnt say it was a bad thing :shrug:

But Wilson doesn’t play the way Brice thinks he does. You’ll be calling him Pickett soon with how much he leaves the pocket.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Because all you have to do is watch the film to see what Wilson is capable of doing and it’s how Tomlin has our offense constructed. Maybe thats a good thing and why he wants Wilson but this isn’t Wilson from 10 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think people aren't taking into account the style of offense the Broncos had and what Sean Payton was looking for. I think Russ is a much better fit in this offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I hate our style of offense but if he can make it work and they are winning thats whats important.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    maybe we will see more long accurate passes with Russ, I saw him throwing deep a lot at beginning of that video what is wrong with that---- if we run the ball, and he can hurl it far that sounds like what we want something like Bradshaw + Russ will run I see looks good

20. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    You are correct…not a big fan

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    And some criticize me about Rattler! His very first game passes for over 250yds!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I was looking at last years passing charts and it looks like Russ completed 1-3 deep middle passes (more than 10 yards beyond the LOS) per game. Dont know how many attempts. So i wouldn't say he wont or cant do it. I think it depends on the game plan. If he can get us more like 200 plus yards per game instead of 150 yards per I’m good.

23. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    To be honest… I didn’t want either one of these Jabronis but…this is what the Rock told me IMG_0788.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Same style year after year… sorta like Groundhog day

• Like Like x 1
  25. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    It doesn't matter what any of us think but we're going to voice or opinions nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 1