1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin press conference Russell Wilson is the likely starter now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 15, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    You might know more about football than Mina Kimes but I'll bet she takes a helluva lot better shower after the game than you do,lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Was this the guy in preseason that only played center?

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some chatter coming out of the locker room last week ... that the offense moved better with Russ at the helm?

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wilson isn't playing with the same line. Fraizer is going to miss at least one game, probably two, and that is a significant loss.

It could be that the receivers aren't getting open often enough, but Fields is also missing some opportunities when they are open. Both things could be true.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields is far more likely to run than Wilson. You have to play that threat differently.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are plenty of people who haven't played or have only played at lower levels who understand the game far better than any 15-year NFL veteran.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    i dont see Fields as some escape artist like Fran Tarkenton who buys time with their mobility. The guy takes off running after 3 seconds, his first read isnt there, he sees a lane and he takes off, its not like he’s scrambling to look for the open man.

Thats typically how his runs have been

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm late to the discussion - have been drinking - and don't have the time, focus, nor energy to wade through all of the discussion. So forgive me if I repeat something someone else said.

Tomlin can get away with this move without push-back from the team since Russ was officially / unofficially the starter before the season started. "You don't lose your job to injury."

So let the experiment begin. But give Russ a shorter hook. 2 games. If he struggles (thanks to our putrid o-line among other possible reasons), back to the bench. If not? Win win. Fields will get his day again sooner or later.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree. At times I think he looks for a lane when he should be looking for a receiver. I do enjoy his designed runs. If our O-line makes a hole he can really get some yardage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    There are plenty of people on this board who understand the game far better than any 15-year NFL veteran.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Both QBs have their strengths and weaknesses. I am not sure if Wilson's long ball strength will be effective against the Jets strengths on defense, pass rush and cornerbacks. After 3 seconds, many QBs have lower passer ratings. My concern with Wilson is what happens after 3 seconds.

12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Same boat as you, sans the drinking. But there was a time...... ahhh, the good old days.

Anyway, I think this is the right move at the right time. People are going to over-react that are on Fields bandwagon, and I get that. He hasn't necessarily done anything to lose the job. "He's taking care of the football; he's not turning it over." Great! Isn't that rule number one for any offensive skill position player, to take care of the football? "He's great with running the football." His deficiencies as a passer offset that. There's no argument to cover that up.

Wilson could be washed despite good numbers last year with Denver. Different time, different system, philosophy, etc. And another year older. However, I want to see what a proven veteran can do with Smith's offense. That is assuming the entire playbook will be open to him to run as he sees fit. We all know the warts. Patchwork offensive line, lack of a threat at wideout outside of Pickens, etc. But I expect Russell to be able to use his TE's and backs even more which are staples of Smith's system. I like the move, and I firmly believe that had he been healthy, he very well would have started already.

This isn't about being right. I can care less about that. It's about winning football games. Apparently, Steeler brass thinks Wilson still has what it takes to more effectively move the offense than Fields. I'll defer to them. If it comes to pass (pun intended) that there are little difference results wise, then they can always put Fields back in and see how he handles the balance of the season because this isn't a championship caliber team anyway and they need to know what they have to do in the off season to get a capable QB in the building.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Thank you for thinking of me so highly.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I say nice things sometimes

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Look at the QBs and the OC there haven't been a lot of opportunities for him.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s had 23 games of opportunity and 2 big plays

That is a simple fact

Don’t make excuses

This is as bad as saying Mason didn’t have a fair opportunity

LMAO

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m not in favor of this especially the timing of it with Frazier going down and coming up against two teams that pressure the QB alot. However if this means Tomlin has more trust in Wilson and we open up the offense more and we actually play more aggressive defense then I might be ok with it. We will see how the game is managed.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

He can't throw the ball to himself duh :rolleyes:

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I give you credit you sure do have a big box of excuses

Hopefully Wilson.3 pushes Austin to the bench

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Was coming to post this. Stark difference between how he handled a benching and Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    She lives and breath this **** every day, I’m sure she can handle her own in and football debate.

That comment says a lot about you my guy. Not a good look.

What about Schlereth, is he qualified or just you and your almighty opinion that counts?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Fields seems like a fine young man with a competitive spirit and a set of balls

He will not run from the competition

Pickett obviously tucked his tail between his legs where his balls should have been and whined his way out

Puck Fickett

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    True. He’ll be fine with handling being benched and will be ready if they make the switch back to him. From that perspective, @S.T.D point of why not try and just witch back if it doesnt work is valid but I still feel they are losing valuable time to develop Fields by doing this. I don’t believe for one second Wilson can lead them to a SB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1