1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I played in a band for years called Tangent. LoL. Sorry I hated the name, and everytime I see the word it brings back memories.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And yet Austin should be fired as DC

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again show the one where Ben say we should stick with Trubisky before we went to Kenny.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know. Some people just say things, or they get into their feelings, or something. Right now we are number one in points allowed out of all the teams that have played 6 games, and we are number 1 in forced turnovers in the red zone...... yet when we lose its the Ds fault. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You were focusing your argument on 2025 so I addressed that. If you think Fields is better for 2024, that's fair. Based on their track records coming into this season, including 2023, I don't think that's true, but it's a fair point. You had been focusing your argument on 2025, which I don't think is where they should be focusing when they make this decision.

You brought up Tomlin's reluctance to name a starter so I brought up the most likely reason why he is still doing that. What is wrong with a coach grabbing on to every advantage no matter how small?

For whatever reason, the Steelers didn't want to admit they promised Wilson the job. Shrugs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't believe either theory, but they are not the same. There is a tangible advantage to sitting Fields. It allows them to keep the higher draft pick. There was no comparable tangible benefit to starting Trubisky and Pickett over Rudolph.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well if You can believe one. You can believe the other. Teams make decisions on contracts, and draft pick all the time. Why Do You think Richardson is starting again in Indy....when clearly two different Qbs in two different years have proven they are a better offense without him, and Watson is still starting because of the same reasons.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Richardson is their long-term guy. Flacco is not.

Watson is still starting because the Browns' owner is an idiot who thinks he knows how to run a football team. It is also likely why they got him in the first place.

I don't buy either theory, but wanting to protect the 4th-round pick makes more sense than just wanting to play the guy with the bigger contract.

9. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    If Fields was playing well they would keep playing him and not care about the 4th.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I think Fields played well enough to keep his starting job at this place and time during the season. He’s getting it done with his feet and with our Oline and that is a bonus. At the same time, I can agree that this offense needs some kind of spark and it probably is a good time in the schedule to see if Wilson can provide that. One thing I would have done differently though is that I wouldn’t have announced the starter until the last moment. Why let the other team know who to prepare for if you are making a change?

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin still hasn't announced who will start at quarterback this week.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And any thought other wise is complete foolishness

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    People are making random speculation to fit their own conspiracy theories

And then there is reality

Tomlin states the reality of the situation:

Justin has been really good, and we've been really good at times, but not to be confused with great," Tomlin said. "Man, this is a competitive league. We're trying to position ourselves to be that team, and we got a player with talent who hadn't had an opportunity to play, so we're going to potentially explore those things.

"Sometimes it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what Justin has done or has not done. Justin has been an asset to us.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    my argument is that there’s a possibility that Fields can play for Steelers for a few seasons if Tomlin lets him continue to play and improve week after week.

by changing to Wilson, when the season ends, they again have no idea if Fields is a good long term solution or not. If they do bring fields back next season, they then wasted all this season’s possible improvements. And for what? Thems ain’t winning a SB.

unless, they’ve already decided that they will NOT go with fields long term - which I don’t agree with.

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin is a little too honest with the media to say that Wilson is the likely starter and not start him. JMHO.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    They have been watching Fields every day for 7 months

Maybe they do know if he is the long term solution or they know he is not

You me and the rest of the peanut gallery are trying to base it on 6 games limited on TV

17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Fields is the first QB in the Superbowl era to be 4-2 and be benched for game #7 while healthy. He is also the first QB since 1950 to have 5 TD passes, 5 rushing TD's and only one interception in the first six games. Tomlin is taking a big risk if Russell Wilson doesn't ball out on Sunday.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve never seen him say it :shrug:

If you have then provide your own receipts lol. You always do that :lolol:

But so what if he did? Makes all his opinions invalid? Then I guess everyone else’s is as well since we have all gotten things wrong before.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not hard to find. Go to his show , when Trubisky was 1st starting. No, but it shows he is definitely not always correct, and it also shows....if You have watched his shows. He will not talk bad about any Qbs.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m going to use that on another poster who always wants others to do his “homework”

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really. What about when the Broncos switched from Brock Osweller who was 5 -2.... back to Peyton Manning ???

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. It really just says. I don't want to see....because It's there ....other guys on this board have said they remember him saying it, and anyone can find it as easily as I can. If someone thought I was lying about it. They would search for it to prove I was wrong. Like they do on anything else.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How did you come to that conclusion? A good organization keeps one eye on the future while dealing in the present.

I clearly think Fields is the better option at QB for this season and you also get to find out what you need to do for next season and whether you should draft a QB or not.

If they had a QB sitting on the bench that I felt was better than Fields than I would not be pressing the pov I currently have.

But IMO they don’t have a better option, I don’t believe Wilson can play anymore and you and many other fans will come to realize what thousands of Bronco fans already know.

Being in the poles position just means you get first team reps. I didnt realize or forgot that he was named captain, that would be awkward to not have him start then.

WR’s drop passes and QB’s make errant throws. I can dial up any QB’s tape and show bad passes and not seeing open guys.

Now go back and read what I said.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Until I see Wilson play here I don’t feel qualified to debate this point one way or another

I will say it is becoming very clear the Steelers coaching staff disagrees with you

25. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    ‘well, I’m dutifully fulfilling my role as an active and responsible member of the peanut gallery. :)

if the peanut gallery ceases to exist, tomlin wouldn’t make $20M/year for not winning SBs. So we are a key part of the entertainment industry of NFL. We r the idiots paying $s for all of them to make money.