1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I played in a band for years called Tangent. LoL. Sorry I hated the name, and everytime I see the word it brings back memories.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And yet Austin should be fired as DC

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Again show the one where Ben say we should stick with Trubisky before we went to Kenny.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know. Some people just say things, or they get into their feelings, or something. Right now we are number one in points allowed out of all the teams that have played 6 games, and we are number 1 in forced turnovers in the red zone...... yet when we lose its the Ds fault. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You were focusing your argument on 2025 so I addressed that. If you think Fields is better for 2024, that's fair. Based on their track records coming into this season, including 2023, I don't think that's true, but it's a fair point. You had been focusing your argument on 2025, which I don't think is where they should be focusing when they make this decision.

You brought up Tomlin's reluctance to name a starter so I brought up the most likely reason why he is still doing that. What is wrong with a coach grabbing on to every advantage no matter how small?

For whatever reason, the Steelers didn't want to admit they promised Wilson the job. Shrugs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't believe either theory, but they are not the same. There is a tangible advantage to sitting Fields. It allows them to keep the higher draft pick. There was no comparable tangible benefit to starting Trubisky and Pickett over Rudolph.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well if You can believe one. You can believe the other. Teams make decisions on contracts, and draft pick all the time. Why Do You think Richardson is starting again in Indy....when clearly two different Qbs in two different years have proven they are a better offense without him, and Watson is still starting because of the same reasons.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Richardson is their long-term guy. Flacco is not.

Watson is still starting because the Browns' owner is an idiot who thinks he knows how to run a football team. It is also likely why they got him in the first place.

I don't buy either theory, but wanting to protect the 4th-round pick makes more sense than just wanting to play the guy with the bigger contract.

9. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    If Fields was playing well they would keep playing him and not care about the 4th.