1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin press conference Russell Wilson is the likely starter now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 15, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Years ago I read a stat that if your team gets 3 turnovers your chances of winning is like 90%. Dallas Cowgirls proved that wrong.:shrug:

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    But starting Wilson should help their passing game, I keep hearing from the media that Austin is wide open but Fields doesn't see him.

3. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I heard Pickens was thinking the same thing but with an added expletive term

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not in this offense and certainly not together in the same game. it still will make them have to concentrate on more than one game plan. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they still have to account for either guy being in the game. both can throw and both can run. extra time will have to be spent to get the defense on the same page for game prep. they have a short week also. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

it is / was an oversimplification. it is the PROBLEM of just using numbers. Tomlin is looking at inefficiency. The O is inefficient. Can Russ help it improve? Mike wants to see, to find out. I have my doubts, but Mike wants to scratch the itch for a few weeks. Cant' blame him. I too want to see Russ cook, to hit CA in stride, to pass down field. We will see.

Fields has looked POOR for 2 straight weeks. the loss to the Cowgirls SUCKED. the OLINE is a mess. that is NOT the QB's fault. We have had a miserable offense for years now.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know that, Mac, been watching football a long time, its just an over emphasized advantage was my point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't say the runs don't count, but as a passer, he had his worst game as a Steeler. You had been talking about him improving, but that isn't the case. His last two games were his worst. That is particularly troubling because the Raiders stink.

What you seem to be insisting on ignoring is that Fields was never the starter. This was Wilson's job all along.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    You do know I included his rushing TD into that, right? Russel literally does 3.4 touchdowns more on average.

But guess you hated on big ben as well? His first pro bowl season he had an average of 210 yards.

Screenshot_20241016_110231_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 12:15 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    He was one of the most sacked QB's last year at 45. There's an analysis I read, that while by it's nature is somewhat subjective, that had almost 30% of those sacks as his fault. I'm someone that's for him starting, but avoiding sacks is not one of his strengths.

https://steelersdepot.com/2024/06/how-many-of-russell-wilsons-45-sacks-taken-in-2023-were-his-fault/

11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Wilson is going to be a pinata in there with this offensive line. I hope he survives more than 2 quarters

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Of course you have to put stock in the TD's. Gotta get the ball in the end zone when we have a chance... He may not be directing multiple 90 yard TD drives a game or anything, but there is something to be said for cashing in with TD's instead of FG's when you're in the opponent's end.

Yeah, we are towards the bottom of the league in yards per game offensively, but my whole argument is that it has to do with our banged up OL and lack of WR's outside of Pickens more than it has to do with Fields not being up to snuff. We're going to see Wilson have a lot of the same issues that Fields has. His WR's are still going to be covered, and he's still going to be under heavy duress like Fields was (maybe even more so since he doesn't have the escape-ability that Justin has to avoid would-be sacks). We knew going into the season that we weren't going to get high end QB play based off the roster alone. Nobody was under the impression that even in a best case scenario Fields or Wilson were going to give us top 10 QB play. We knew our WR room wasn't good and we knew our OL was young and new (and now its heavily injured). Now that we aren't satisfied with our offense not being that good (something we knew prior to the season), we are clamoring (and really just holding out hope) that a quick fix lies lurking around the corner (it isn't). Its just crazy talk that has taken over the board and its been fascinating to see.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But You should give a rats a$$. Why don't you see that without some type of balance teams just keep playing our run game. I'm not a Lamar Jackson fan by any means, but He has always done at least enough passing wise to give a semblance of balance. Every team we play says......stop the run....unless it's 3, and long....stop the run.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will say... not bad for his 1st game. Fields played all preseason ....yet do You remember what his 1st game was like???
    159 yards passing. No tds, and a fumble.

16. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    You do know we got rid of Canada with a 6-4 record last year? So 4-2 doesn’t mean much. And our offense is still not much better.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is Bull$hit, and You know it. Just because we want to see of the offense will be better....doesn't mean we hate the kid. Did I , or Did I not want the same thing when we were winning with Kenny Pickett???? Be honest. I didn't hate KFP, but my eyes seen game after game that he wasn't seeing open targets. We are winning the exact same way now. The Defense is number 1 in points allowed, and number 4 in forced turnovers, but You are trying to tell me it's because of Fields why we are winning. Hell we have won games He hasn't scored a point in.

18. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So all in all you only care about the wins? And you will fall off the RW train once he has back to back losses and get back on the JF train that you was on the first 3 games of the season?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    all THE Wilsons this week? Russ--- Roman and maybe just maybe Wilson from Castaway I'm excited:beg::smile: :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So You are moving the goal post again....because the first one you now realized was not very good??? LoL. I'm mean It will not be hard to beat a Fields first game. 159 yards, no tds, and a fumble...., or how about Fields 2nd game ....117 yards passing, 1 td, and 1 fumble. LoL

22. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011
    no im just asking? I mean we were 2-0 in Fields first 2 games weren’t we and you was on his train and had no talk of RW starting. Am I not correct? But since you didn’t answer I’m gonna assume you will put the blame on it being his first game back from injury if we lose?

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And this....winning, or not is why most Wrs hate playing with a Qb with a run 1st mentality. DJ has more tds in Carolina than our entire Wrs added together has. LoL. If people don't think the Wrs aren't getting frustrated. LoL.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will bet you real money on this. If the D , and special teams do exactly what they have been doing on every single win we have had this year... We won't lose. How about that???

25. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011
    If that’s the case, then who does it matter who is QB?

So we lose if the D and special teams don’t do what they done in every single game we won is the most important thing then what is the point of who the QB is.

I mean in the Indy loss JF was 22 for 34 with 312 yards passing and 1 TD.

In the Dallas game he didn’t have the stats, but he did give us the lead late in the 4th qtr and the Defense allowed them to drive the field for a TD.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 1:55 PM