1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He did that so he would be available, then the team didn't let him play when he was ready. Then they signed a starter and pushed him to the bench. Then, when he expressed frustration that was justified, they gave up on him rather than show some patience. They mishandled Pickett every step of the way, including the step out the door.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So does Mahomes. So does Herbert. So does Allen. So does Jackson. So does Love. I forgot to mention C.J. Stroud. Caleb Williams is right there with him, too. Daniels is damn impressive, but there are more than three other guys in the NFL who are every bit as special.

My point in bringing Daniels up was to show that some things, like being able to throw accurately with touch, aren't necessarily a function of pro experience. Fields should have learned to do that in high school or college. He is four years into his pro career and he still can't do it.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It makes perfect sense to delay that process if they think they can win now. They are 4-2. It isn't time to play for 2025 yet.

No, it is not a terrible move. Wilson is their starter. That was clear pretty much from the moment they signed him. Fields was a cheap backup and potential reclamation project. He did not do enough as a passer to secure the job. He got progressively worse in the last couple of weeks. It was one thing to stay with the hot hand in Week 17 with a playoff spot on the line then in the playoff game the following week. It is another when there are still 11 regular-season games to go.

Your last statement is, at best, an oversimplification. The goal right now is to give the team its best opportunity to compete this season. Going with their starter now that he is healthy and has had some practice time is the way to do that. You asked a question on this thread and Tomlin gave you a clear and correct answer. No, Fields did not lock up the starting job. Maybe he will get another shot at it this season, but he did not make enough progress as a passer. He just threw for 145 yards against an atrocious Raiders defense. That level of play simply isn't going to cut it against good opponents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s a terrible move if they switch. He’s not leading them anywhere, hes a washed 36 year old bum.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Romo was slobbering all over himself about the way Daniels sees the field and uses his eyes to move defenders.

6. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    We have to get a look at RW before we go into the second half. We need to execute on designed plays to beat the Ravens and Bengals. We won't win by just having a QB who can make something out of broken plays. Maybe RW shts the bed and we go back to Fields. We have to try IMO.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if russell was healthy earlier than this i believe the move would have been made, he wasn't. we will need them all before this season is over. he needs some time with the team before we get to the real meat of the schedule. i think that puts us in a good spot with two capable starters to face the gauntlet we have in the second half. the time is now to do this before the bye. not too many teams will have starter A and B in their arsenal. wilson/fields/allen looks better than pickett/trubisky/rudolph. :cool:

8. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    I'll just post this here and say the trend isn't good for the offense or Fields. Sure, they scored 32 pts but it was a very even performance against a mediocre/bad defense.

Pass_succ and Run_succ (1).png

9. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Neither of these guys are winning a playoff game. Mike Tomlin is still the coach Van Jefferson is still the #2 WR and the OL is still decimated by injuries. Should have just rode the younger guy with more upside this year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    do you all or y'all for my southern friends realize how much more prep our opponents will need to get ready for defending both of these guys? it put's us at greater advantage.

if they don't see russell on the field they won't see how this could make them have to change and practice for him. DC's will be challenged to game plan for either and both. i know the defensive minds here would explode.

the edge is razor thin in the NFL anyway so making other teams do extra work could make just enough of a difference. don't fight this but embrace it. if it make's our overall team better and harder on the opposition why not? :cool:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 9:05 AM
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Pickett didn’t step out the door

The coward ran out the door

Tail between his legs

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, I know you like that bit of fiction, but that's all it is. He got pissed when they refused to give him the opportunity to win his job back and the Steelers decided it wasn't worth showing patience with him. Hopefully, that doesn't come back to bite him in the ass, but there is nothing to support your interpretation of events.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, you said that. I didn't want them to acquire either guy, but they brought in Wilson to be the starter and he is finally healthy enough to do that. Wilson's numbers from 2023 do support your claim. Unless you are in favor of giving up on the 2024 season, your premise does not make sense.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    You have your Pickett fantasy

I’ll stick to known facts

He had the opportunity to compete

He ran

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 10:03 AM
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please don't mislabel your opinion as fact. It is not a fact. It is an opinion that doesn't fit the available information as well as my opinion.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They brought in Wilson before they knew they could get Fields. Giving up on the season is playing Wilson while learning nothing about who can lead the team in 2025. Makes no sense.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011

I’d explain it to you again but

IMG_3384.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2024 at 12:35 PM
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fields has been solid in some areas, but their receivers only have 1 TD between them.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    And if DJ was still here that would add

Well zero

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If Wilson ends up starting and loses one or both of the next two games, then the season is essentially shot. Wilson is coming off an injury (a re-aggravation of the same injury at that), so no matter how many limited practice reps he got... he's still going to be rusty. On top of that, the next two games are against not great football teams, but teams that are among the leaders in the league in sacks (NYJ 4th, NYG 1st). With a recently gimped and immobile Wilson, it could lead to a long day of 3 and outs and turnovers due to getting sacked nearly every other drop back (remember that we are still missing 3 starting OL and our top interior back up in this weeks game). There is just too much risk to make this decision, and quite frankly its a decision that gets 90+% of coaches fired if it backfires (Tomlin is immune, so it will likely have 0 affect for him). The fact that it is being discussed at all is very concerning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    DJ had 5 TDs last year, their current WRs have 1 try again gramps :rolleyes:.

22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He's got 3 TD's so far this year on one of the league's worst offenses and arguably the league's worst team. I can understand not liking the DJ antics, but as a player he is very good. This offense would look a ton better with him here than it has with him gone (though Jackson has been just as good for us defensively so I get the pro and con of the trade).

DJ is a top 25 receiver in this league whether you like it or not.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That doesn't make sense. Giving up on the season is playing for 2025 instead of 2024, which seems to be what you are advocating.

They brought in Wilson to be the starter. If that wasn't the case, they wouldn't be considering starting him over Fields now. You seem to think they have some big investment in Fields as their quarterback of the future, but I don't think that is the case.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    It makes perfect sense, I don’t know where you get from anything I have said that playing Fields is giving up on the season.

You keep saying they brought Wilson in to be the starter but that was before they acquired Fields, that changes things. Did Tomlin ever even make Wilson the starter? The most I remember is saying he was in the poles position, thats not the same as naming him the starter. Something Tomlin seems very reluctant to do with either of them for some reason.