1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin press conference Russell Wilson is the likely starter now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 15, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So what would you suggest if RW starts and puts up similar numbers to JT and we get the win? Will you be saying, but the Jets has a better Defense?

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’ll also see a lot of what Schlereth has been saying. I have no doubt Wilson is a better thrower of the football than Fields but he’s not the guy he used to be.

If they had a losing record I could better understand doing this, it’s just crazy to me when you are 4-2 and coming off a 32 point game.

If they do it that is. Tomlin is being so weird about naming a starter, why not just say Wilson is starting if that’s what you want, does he really think it will trip up the Jets that much not knowing who will be under center.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Well

Now that we are all in agreement

5. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I wish when people thought they were posting statics, they actually posted statistics.

Screenshot_20241016_073646_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20241016_073756_Chrome.jpg

As you see it's 20 yards more. But what else do you see. Ohhhh that's right you see 5.8 TD on average per game. With 1.8 interception. Meaning 4 touchdowns on average. Meaning 28 points on average, and that's just passing.

But i know you fields fans are going to say, "but dude fields rushing TD"..... which is 0.83 on average per game. While wilson was 0.2.

So yes, I still want to see what wilson can do. Specially with a scheme like arthur smiths. Because that is something wilson will love with coming from a west coast offense.

@S.T.D here you go mate, sure you'll appreciate this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don’t care who plays quarterback as long as we win

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    the jets having to practice to defend both makes it much more of a challenge for them to prepare. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    If the Jets have any issues on defense it's their run defense not their pass defense, so I think this is vastly overstated. Tomlin thinks he's cute playing these games with who is starting, and it's getting old just like most of his act.

9. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Jets have plenty of game film on both Wilson and Fields.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Not in a Steelers uniform. :dancing:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Love Mina, but that could go either way. Better passing game will help the running game rather than hurt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was the entire point of giving themselves an out after this season. They gave him big money, but were really only committed to two seasons. He has been better the last few games, but he still isn't playing at a level to justify that contract.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sorry, but your evidence does not fully support this premise, either. Remember the situation they were in when they got Fields. They had just dealt Pickett, leaving themselves with only Wilson on the roster. Fields provided them with a cheap backup with some upside. They could have just as easily seen him as a one-year backup option. They rolled the dice on Haskins, too, but in both cases, they didn't have to invest much to get the guy.

The Steelers don't give up on seasons this early, certainly not when they are 4-2 and tied for first in the division. It would be giving up if they refused to put their starter in now that he is healthy when the backup has been decent, but poor enough as a passer that he failed to grab the job when he had the chance. That is the reason to start Wilson, because they think he gives them a better chance to win now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are using oversimplification here. They scored 32 points because the running game was dominant and because the blocked punt and turnovers gave them short fields late. It also helped that they faced a truly terrible defense. Even with all that happening, Fields' struggles as a passer held them back until well into the third quarter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  15. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I heard a stat this week that teams that block a punt have historically won 90% of the time. I bet it's even higher if you block a kick for a TD, which makes it all the more hilarious that the Browns did this and still were able to lose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Let's face it, if it wasn't for the 3 questionable calls against the Raiders, and the 2 punch outs by TJ, they could've easily lost that game. Fields has been ok all things considered, but they need him to be better than that if they want to be a legitimate SB contender this year. If Tomlin thinks they'll be a better team with Wilson, then I don't have a problem with starting him against the Jets. No question in my mind that Wilson is a better passer than Fields, if the O-line gives him the time. That's a big if though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a bunch of nonsense, just trying to dress up the same low yardage to make him look better.

And he has 10 TD’s through 6 games, I dont give a rats ass if he passes for them or runs them in, still 6 points.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Make all the excuses you want but you just dont see QBs getting benched who have a winning record coming off a decisive win. Yes, the 2 TDs he ran in counts, he did very good things in that game, it all counts. This will be another bad decision by Tomlin.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I mean... I personally have been on record in saying that if or in this case when Wilson starts, begin Scouting QBs for both 2025 and 2026; already likely given the teams Scouting Trail. Our guy isn't on the roster given this latest development as far as I am concerned. Extend Fields and/or Wilson by one to two seasons and go from there.

Tomlin doesn't believe in Fields the way I thought he would. Granted, Fields hasn't played great himself... so he isn't blameless here. That said, having Fields sit isn't going to aid his development either.

20. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I'm one of those guys, which I admit might be an overreaction but I'll have to wait to reserve judgement until I see him move in the pocket.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They didnt have to trade Pickett but they saw a chance to get a QB that Tomlin has long coveted.

Wilson is starter only in name, he has never played a snap for them, continuing on with Fields would be very easy to do if there is nothing in writing saying they have to play Wilson.

Putting a past his prime aging QB that his last team paid 80 million to play for someone else isnt the better option.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I look at it this way. The Steelers went 4-2 with their second string QB. That is damn good. Wilson is a 9 time Pro Bowler. He knows how to throw a football and read defenses. And should he go down we have a damn good #2.

I must admit I'm really going to miss the threat Fields provides when a play breaks down. Wilson will have to throw it away while Fields can get you some yards. Sunday night GDT should be interesting.

I wish the Steelers would use Fields in games too. Doesn't matter how it gets done as long as a W is at the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Years ago I read a stat that if your team gets 3 turnovers your chances of winning is like 90%. Dallas Cowgirls proved that wrong.:shrug:

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    But starting Wilson should help their passing game, I keep hearing from the media that Austin is wide open but Fields doesn't see him.