1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin press conference Russell Wilson is the likely starter now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 15, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do you know how many times we used Washington to chip, and then go out on a pass , and He was left alone by himself Sunday??? 4 times that I remember, and only once did Fields even look his way. Twice he was so open with nobody on him....he could have caught the ball , and just fell down, waited for the D to touch him, and he would have gotten 8 yards. Now whether another Qb will see him....I have no clue, but I don't know how they go back to their Ipads, and not see that. We are not using him to chip, and go out for nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Is 4 times a lot (seriously asking) it would be interesting to see the total times we sent TE's out vs the league average if there is such a thing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah the same exact amount of tds, and turnovers Lamar the MVP had last year. I know ,,but the wins....Lamar Jackson had the number 1 defense in the league....Russell Wilson had the 27th. I seen them give up over 60 points in a game.
    Look at it this way. Has Justin Fields looked better here with our team, and our great D... Yes, or No??? So as bad as he was before He got here....what makes You think Russell Wilson won't look better on this team??? Our D, and special teams can only help Fields, and not Russell???

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was just Washington, and I only mentioned Him because the play was so open twice you could have underhand tossed it to him. He had Muth open for a TD twice had he seen him, and I seen Heywards little brother open once for big yards, but Fields took off instead. These are just off the top of My head. I didn't write down the exact number. Thing is...will the other Qbs see them???

5. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This is a real head scratcher…why pull a qb that is 4-2? This could go south for coach popcorn and quickly or he could be the genious everyone thinks he is:shrug:

6. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    On a side note…
    Spencer Rattler had 240yds passing
    1td
    2int
    This was his debut… was missing #1 wr in Olave
    Yeah he sucks

7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Rattler put up 27 points in the first half but then the Falcons defense adjusted at halftime and completely shut him down in the second half. But all in all not bad for his first NFL start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Saints are still high on him. First start and you have jokers saying he is going to be a career back up… dont think so
    I think you meant Tampa Bay defense

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Possibly

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Possibly

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    No

12. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Fields sucks and coach T agrees
    But and i bet you didnt know this… Fields can run

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Just curious why so many people talk about Wilson like he’ll be a statue in the pocket. Last year he had over 300 yards and 3 TDs rushing. He averaged 4.3 yards per rush, and Fields is averaging 4.2 this season. He’s definitely not in Fields’ caliber as a pure runner, but if his calf is healed he is far more mobile than many QBs. Yet because he’s 36, some folks are acting like he’ll be on the field with a walker and an IV drip.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Iv drip… thats what diddy used… hope Russ isnt planning on doing a freak off

15. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Splitting first team reps. Ok i guess. looks like he's healthy so If he doesn't start its kind of weird after splitting reps.

I personally don’t see the fascination with Fields. Just a running Qb with a strong arm. I’d rather have a pocket passer with some mobility, an average arm, can read defenses, can make the right decision quickly, and wont get rattled.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Maybe this is the reason..
    Russell Wilson to jump-start the passing game, which ranks 28th with 166.8 yards per game.

17. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    That's when you typically select one in the draft one to bring along under a rookie contract, rather than shelling out for a vet in what would be a multi-year deal worth ~$30M APY to sit behind the vet you already have that in this case all carry a $40M APY themselves.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They aren't just looking at six games. Also, that winning record is built heavily on four strong performances by the defense. The two times the defense faltered, they lost.

They are looking at his entire career, which includes playing poorly enough in Chicago that they gave up on a guy they drafted No. 11 overall after three seasons.

19. Kinihun25

Kinihun25 Member

Sep 29, 2024
    Giants are 100% cutting Daniel Jones, if they cut him before the new league year of 2025 it's only a 22 million dollar dead cap.

20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Wouldn't be shocking if they did. The contract they signed him to made it easy for them to move on after this year if things weren't working out. The bulk of his hit is tied to base salary over the next two years ($76M), while guarantees (prorated bonus in this case) are low ($22M).

So while they'd eat the $22M in dead cap if they did cut him, they'd still save $8M overall from shedding his $30M base (and gaining $47M back in 2026).

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They obviously don’t care about his time in Chicago or they wouldn’t have brought him here in the first place.

Again, there is no reason to switch to Wilson, him leading them to a SB is more of a long shot than Fields developing. The only difference is one has the chance of being the long term answer while the other is a dead end. They also get their ducks in a row for entering the draft.

If Tomlin goes through with this it will be one of the worst decisions he ever makes. It’s so bad I have to believe he has no choice because it is in Wilson’s contract. So hopefully that just means we have to endure a start or two before going back to Fields once those contract terms are met.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That might not far from the truth. Most of his yards probably came on roll outs, not escaping a pash rush in his lap as soon as he snaps the ball.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If I can find one positive in all of this is that Muth will probably take off. It just doesnt seem like Fields uses his TE’s very much, even when he was in Chicago I don’t recall Kmet being targets much.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why do you keep talking about Jackson? I don’t give a **** about him. The point was to show Wilson throwing for the same low yardage that has you all clamoring for Fields to be benched. Wtf. Makes no sense.

You guys can say all the kind words about Fields as an individual as you want but its clear he was never going to get a fair shake by any of you here that have spent years bashing running QB’s. I mean Holy **** they 4-2 and you guys still want him benched, not even like they are 2-4 :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ha! That’s not the case, and it’s out there on video if you care to watch. Be careful though. If you watch you’ll see things like passes thrown on time all over the field, passes that are lofted over LBs with touch and a QB escaping the pocket to throw.

I was not calling for Wilson at this point, I was hoping that Fields would show week to week improvement and be ready to do a bit more once we hit those most critical division games. But now that we may actually be turning to Wilson, I’m interested in seeing if he can lift our stagnant passing game.