1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin press conference Russell Wilson is the likely starter now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 15, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Wilson is going to get sacked 15+ times the next two weeks. He's more liable to turn it over than just get 3 and outs. Ugh, this is so weird lol why now? If you guys hated the first 6 weeks of offense, hope you're ready for Sunday lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Fields would get killed too. Maybe Wilson will do better at making the faster read

• Like Like x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

why now?

Where have you been for 10 weeks? Or should I say since February, when these acquisitions were made. Tomlin brought Russell Wilson here to be QB1.

He got injured, which enabled his back up to play.

He is healthy now, the offense is pretty anemic, and Tomlin wants to go back to QB1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    they may work HARD on screens this week, a few other new wrinkles. who knows. throw early and often on first downs, quick 3-5 yard plays, and a few longs ones. Maybe a 60 yarder to CA.....

but yes - this offense does and will struggle against good defense

don't be surprised, ANYONE.

5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Justin's been playing behind that line all year though and hasn't gotten killed too bad. His legs have definitely saved him on numerous occasions, though he has taken some punishment.

The first read better be open... I'm afraid that Russ wont have time to get through multiple reads. We're down 3 starting OL on an already needy unit. This isn't an encouraging thing imo.

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Overthecap.com lists 18 QBs with $25 mil cap numbers in 2025. There will likely be more when the off season comes. I’d guess Fields will how much be looking at a number at least that. He’s still young, has had some success and there will be teams that are interested. So, is $25 mil much? It will be a bit of a leap of faith to resign Justin.

7. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think the timing is bad. These are two must win games and Russ' has been injured twice now and is finally 100% (maybe?). We aren't expecting him to be rusty? We're expecting our WR's to magically get open now? We aren't worried that an immobile QB with 60% of our line injured is a recipe for disaster? We're just willing to risk the rest of our season on a guy who hasn't taken a regular season snap with the organization? Lots of rainbows and butterflies have to happen for this to work out in a positive manner.

It will be a pretty big shock to see Russ out perform what we've seen from Justin the first 6 weeks. I don't have a great feeling about Sunday night's game.

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    If it is at most a 3 year deal, then 25 is probably the right number. I don't want us to do anything at the QB position until we sign a WR2 and draft/sign a RB... The offense has too many glaring holes to be putting QB at the front of the line.

9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I am a Steeler fan, whoever is lined up behind center and in the black & gold I will root for 100%!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i have not had a good feeling about a Steelers game since around October, 2000, if that helps you feel any better?

our offense blows, and it has for years.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Josh Allen has thrown 156 passes and was sacked 8 times. Fields has thrown 160 and has been sacked 16 times.

12. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    well he had Frazier anchoring the line. This week we don't even have that. I think Fields has been a bit lucky too. 6 fumbles - none lost. Leads the league. I think that would catch up to him. Maybe the coaches are concerned about that too. Hence the change.

13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well that's on you haha I've felt good on plenty of occasions. Different people fan differently of course, no judgement here.

Our offense isn't good, but I don't think it isn't good because of Fields. I think the "instant gratification" crew are in for a rude awakening Sunday. I hope I am wrong of course, but I think the offense is about to take a big regression the next two weeks. Rusty Russ isn't ready for what he's walking into.

14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Two of those fumbles credited to him are on the center for snapping it too early, C's cant be credited for fumbles so it goes to the QB. 4 I would consider to be his fault. Over the past 2 seasons Fields and Wilson have the same number of lost fumbles, so I doubt that is the main sticking point. Also, Fields did lose a fumble against the Colts, so he hasn't lost 0.

Losing Frazier is going to hurt so much this week. I don't know why now is the time to make the change. Conventional wisdom says otherwise, but maybe it works out. Fields has been responsible for 10 TD's and 2 Turnovers as a starter, I don't think Russell has that type of production in him with our battered line and terrible WR corps. Hopefully I am wrong haha

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldnt be so sure of that. Tomlin doesn’t exactly have a great track record on how he handles QB’s.

However, he hasn’t been named the starter yet. Maybe just gamesmanship by Tomlin. He said they will see about how they divvy up first team reps this week. That’s about as far as he has gone on the topic.

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i am being a bit funny, facetious, of course.

Russ could be a mess, but we need to get the ball in the air and down field. No Frazier for a while and we are on very thin ice. Fields too is a mess, in different ways. They both have strengths and weakness'.

Tomlin sees something that he wants to see LIVE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My point was we may very well end up wasting another season if they roll with Fields next year since they won’t have a definitive answer about his capabilities leading this team. Maybe it’s me but I would rather find that out this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So if Wilson does poorly the first half, does he get benched, do we here Justin chants?

I myself all this Tomlin saying Wilson is being considered is all just talk. I truly believe that JF will be the starter Sunday Night.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 4:30 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    When you're QB challenged, and we are, a good GM has to think ahead a good bit.
    You can get caught in mediocrity really easy.
    "He got us some wins, he'll improve" - I must have heard that from Washington's Front Office 100 times.
    He wins just enough to keep you out of the top 10 draft slots.

Of course, there is the question about which QB's will be available in the draft?

Both of these QB's are playing for a contract. At this point, I can't really say "sign X" for sure.
    Fields needs to have a game on the Jayden Daniels scale.. not just 'get-by'
    At this point, I'm just a blank sheet of paper when it comes to those two (Wilson/Fields). Someone step it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    i hope so too. I wouldn't put too much stock in the 10 TD’s. Its not like Fields has been directing long drives. He's benefited from a short field by turnovers, a blocked punt, and i think one of his longer drives they benefited from long runs and a 15 yd penalty. He did enough to get us four wins but he was greatly aided by the defense and turnovers. To me its been backup or game manager play.

Its the right move to get Wilson out there (assuming he does start). Have to see if he’s still capable of pushing the ball down field and giving the D more of a break. If he’s done, i guess so are we this year.

21. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    You're wild with the Omar hate. Getting laughable at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Let's hope
    You are assuming that that makeshift line will give him enough time to make those throws.

23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Break it down for a minute. There aren't that many that will be looking for starting QB next year.

Bills - no
    Pats - no
    Dolphins - doubtful (only if Tua retires)
    Jets - doubtful (if Rogers retires, under contract through 2025)

Ravens - no
    Browns - no (only 2.5 years to go)
    Bengals - no
    Steelers - yes

Texans - no
    Colts - no
    Jags - no
    Titans - maybe (if they give up on Levis)

Broncos - no
    Chiefs - lol
    Raiders - likely (Minshew and McConnell are it)
    Chargers - no

Cowboys - no
    Giants - doubtful (Jones under contract through 2026)
    Eagles - no
    Commanders - no

Bears - no
    Lions - no
    Packers - no
    Vikings - no

Falcons - no
    Panthers - maybe (Young struggling, Dalton 37 and a FA)
    Saints - no
    Bucs - no

Cards - no
    Rams - doubtful (if Stafford retires, under contract through 2026 but is 36)
    49ers - no
    Seahawks - doubtful (Smith 34 this year, under contract through 2025.. Howell behind him)

So the serious candidates (with projected 2025 cap space) would appear to be:
    1. Steelers ($73M)
    2. Raiders ($21M)
    3. Titans ($73M)
    4. Panthers ($41M)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Sorry you seem to gather that... it's wrong.
    I am at the doubting stage, he could well turn it around.
    I've been around some really, really bad GM's (Vinny Cerrato anyone?) Omar pales in comparison with some of those guys.
    Been around some good ones too BTW, Casserly, Bethard, Loomis.. Omar's story is still in its infancy.

It was the "golf swing" or "handicap" reference wasn't it. lol

25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    No assumptions can be made about how either quarterback would play against the Jets but I do know this: if Wilson gets the start and stinks it up, it's going to be noisy around here. If Wilson starts and lights it up, it's going to be noisy around here.

I can be patient enough to allow Wilson the chance to showcase whatever he has left in the tank but if he goes out there and throws a couple of interceptions coupled with a handful of sacks in a loss, I'm not so sure I will still have that same patience.