1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin press conference Russell Wilson is the likely starter now

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 15, 2024 at 12:09 PM.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This exactly. It's foolish not to at least try something. Nobody says. Hey get rid of Fields. I really like the kid also. I just want to see how the offense responds to a different Qb. That's all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ah. Green Goblin

3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Fields has been solid, better than his time in Chicago with limiting turnovers and improved completion percentage. That has resulted in a higher passer rating. He's not creating more yards though, through the air or ground, and this team is not scoring enough. There is blame to spread around for that, but he has missed some open guys and made some poor reads. He still drops the ball more than anyone likes. There's also been a lot of good play.

If they want to make Fields the future, they can afford to do it, but Wilson is here and you almost have to see what he does. The leash can be short, and with this OL, he may get killed anyway. Justin may learn a few things standing there, watching and listening. If Pickens comes alive, or the PA runs look great, or the scoring improves, that says a lot. If none of that happens, or things somehow get worse, that answers some questions, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelLion69

SteelLion69 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    I agree. I see Fields as a bridge QB and backup to the next franchise QB, who is not currently on the roster.

I am not a proponent of paying an aging QB like Wilson serious money. Even if he gets this team to the playoffs, the Steelers need to move off him and find their future franchise QB in this draft or the next.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    let's hope not. If Russ actually plays well, as you said he will want to be paid. If he is looking for Dak money let him walk, if it's stop gap 3 year contract somehwere between what Baker and Kirk to you might consider it. Ties you in for a year, but can get out of it if things go south quickly. Whatever move they make, unless they get a rookie (unlikely) the QB room will be more expensive next year, how much more is yet to be seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think You misread some fans. I don't believe most ever root against Fields, or want him gone. I believe most just want to see what another Qb could do. Fields is still here, and I'm glad of it. Unlike many who wanted to trade off Russell Wilson.....I would never suggest that with Fields. The NFL has shown....You need two Qbs that You aren't afraid to use.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This man....this...exactly ^^^^^^^^:this!:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Fields needs to play more than 50% of the snaps to have the 6th turn into a 4th.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This move caught me off-guard; I did not have any thought the Steelers would do this.
    But they know the plays, they know how the QB reacts, they know the strengths and weaknesses.

Fields has just been adequate.
    But I will give him credit for carrying out what he is being taught; don't turn the ball over, take what the defense gives.
    I expect a notch or two more from Wilson since he has a proven history. His skill set might have lost a step but hopefully he gained a step in the brain.

Team chemistry? I wonder how this impacts that.

The future?
    I could see them bring back Fields, but I think ideally as #2 or interim starter.
    I could see them being back Wilson, but I think he might be too costly. Ideally, he's the best choice for an interim starter.

Omar has a problem to solve here, I wish I could say I had confidence in him.
    He's not even addressing the #2 WR before the trade deadline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Figure Russell gets his first start without Frazier so right up the middle could be an immediate pressure problem!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Wilson better get that ball out quick. The line is still waiting to gel and the rushes are going to come at him quick

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Do we think that has anything to do with this move? We have many holes to fill and he isn't lighting it up so why not give Russell the job from here on on out and unless he ****s the bed we save a 4th round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If RW throws 3 TDs against the Jets, team chemistry won’t be a problem

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well this makes the wait till Sunday night longer. Funny, I was always against a running QB and after 6 games I started enjoying having one. Now if he had Hurts or Jackson's arm we'd have our QB for the future.

Sure hope Russell's ass doesn't meet the turf to much.

15. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'm sure this place will be reasonable and not knee-jerk at all if Wilson struggles against the Jets.:rolleyes: Actually, I don't care how the fans react. I want Wilson to get a few starts if healthy before going back to Fields. I think Tomlin will give him that chance.

I'm for Wilson starting, but I have no delusions that he's going to come in and light it up. The Jets defense is good, and our receivers as a group are not.

16. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    It was the right move. Of course they have to have a gameplan to open up the passing game to stretch the defenses. They were not doing that with fields.

17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Oh boy. Get ready for a bunch of "3 and outs" by our offense IMO.

18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Fields is nothing more than a backup. It's cheaper to just draft a QB than resign him and drafting one could net at worst similar results. The more Fields played, the worse he looked. He made plays for sure, but he's not the long-term answer, and it's apparent he's not a short-term answer neither.

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin should have waited to announce this later in the week. Jets will now have plenty of time to prepare for Wilson as opposed to Fields.

20. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    STf is gong to be mad at me but this is not a good move timing wise. They should have put him in agains the Raiders. The Jets are one of the top pass rush teams. They have one of the best interior tackles in the league. We have a backup Center starting. Russ is going to be under duress this whole game. I doubt we produce in the run game like we did last week. We need Fields to scramble for long runs and to evade the rush. I don’t think were going to get that with Russ especially in his first game back.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Hopefully you had a chance to cover other topics other than QB choices. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Or is this all just a ploy? If he does fake em out it's brilliant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The Jets have the #4 sack defense in the league and the Giants have the #1... this is bad timing for MANY reasons. Now Frazier is out... Russell is going to get killed back there because now our depleted line will have to deal with defenses pinning their ears back on every play to try to get sacks. Better buckle up Steelers fans... these next two weeks of offense is going to look BRUTAL.

24. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    agreed, frazier going down is a problem. McCollum may need help and Najee better stay in to block on passing plays, maybe pop out on a dump off last minute. Smith needs to earn his pay

25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Jets defense sucked against the run last night therefore Wilson will throw it 35 times.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2