1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Another hard thrower was Brett Farve

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    We are digressing but the first time anyone realized how strong his arm was he overthrew a receiver in high school

By 72 yards

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    That’s crazy! Oh he was such a hillbilly!:roflmao:

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers are on the road to nowhere. Just as they have been for the last 7 years. Roethlisberger, Trubisky, Pickett, Fields, Wilson....it doesn't matter who is QB.

We all know the common denominator. Popcorn

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I have no idea what you are talking about about.

I thought your post describing all the little mistakes being made by the QB is correct. Kenny Picket wasn't benched because he was a terrible QB, he was benched because he wasn't a good QB.

6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Because there are only around 3 QB'S in the league with Jayden Daniels talent and Fields certainly isn't one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    You are not wrong. Tough to win in 2024 with a philosophy from 1946.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Come on man, I am using caps to help me emphasize important words lol I don't care what other QB's can do. I care what our starter can do, and I think our current starter should remain the starter for all of the points I've made responding to you. The only thing I'm afraid of with Wilson is his health. An immobile QB with our current patchwork OL spells trouble. I don't want to see Russell Wilson's career end that way.

Barring injury or multiple games of many turnovers, we should stick with Fields. If he isn't doing great into the bye week, then you can look at a potential change. Its the most logical point for anything like this to occur. I don't know what part of all this you don't understand? Just repeating "YOU'RE SCARED" "AFRAID" "I SMELL FEAR" etc. isn't actually an argument...

These things are sometimes hard to explain. I played a professional sport, and competed collegiately in a team sport environment. There is more to personnel changes than simply "well, we aren't doing great so lets just make a change". The reason I know this is because I actually lived it. The "locker room" and "human" aspect of the team is just as important as the product/play on the field, and it is hard to put this into words that people who have never played sports at this level will understand... I know you're not going to believe me, nor will you change your mind on it, but making a QB change at this moment in time is a horribly risky decision. If we change and Russ sucks, it essentially ends our entire season. Something like this happened with one of my coaches in college and it ended his career. A seemingly mundane decision ended up losing the locker room and costing him his job at the end of the season. He never coached again at that level... These decisions aren't made lightly. Successful, professional people don't make decisions like this, and I expect that Tomlin won't make that decision either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Care to elaborate? Or don't you have anything interesting or relevant to add?

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bradshaw's last NFL pass was over 40 years ago, so things have changed a bit. That said, I'm not so focused on taking something off a throw as I am on the ability to loft a ball over defenders instead of trying to throw it through them. Bradshaw made throws like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Throwing fastballs is great, but sometimes, you have to be able to loft it over a defender. There have been plays when Fields could have had a completion if he did that, but I really don't know if he even has that arrow in his quiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I mean....

What will be interesting is what Tomlin will have to say come tomorrow. Granted, I still believe he should announce the starter during the Bye Week but something tells me he may do so tomorrow. Going to be an interesting Tuesday Press Conference!

Side note to the point of Offense and Fields; anyone back on the D.K. Metcalf trade train?! Who knows how the DeVante saga could play out?! Granted, D.K. leaving is even more unlikely but given the fact that tensions are already mounting for him in Seattle, who's to say a loss against the Falcons couldn't be the final nail in the coffin?!

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would be thrilled to see them trade for the guy, but I doubt it will happen.

14. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Russell Wilson is almost done. Even if he wins a few games, I don't see the point. Fields at least can get out of issues with his athleticism and if the line wasn't shredded with injures and the Steelers had one more legit #2 receiver, he may be really good each week. But, I'm indifferent at this point. Steelers will never win another Super Bowl unless they find a MVP franchise QB and not get injuries. I don't know if that is possible without freakish luck the next few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i have said it many times in the past if you would read it. fields can't read a defense and throw the ball past the first read or two, he goes into run mode at that point. like him or not wilson can read a defense and pick out the coverage easier. going to the right spot on a given play. fields did the same thing in college and in chicago that he is doing here. no i don't want him as the long term franchise guy. i see watson more than i see lamar. MT thinks he has lamar. flow of the offense. russell will be better at making it happen. neither guy is the long term answer. there you go is that clear enough for you? hence the BS. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Sounds like your smeller might be broken.:hmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Hell, I wish Fields could be what Watson was with Houston. (Off the field, of course.) I just don't see it. I agree that neither guy is the long-term answer, which is why they would be better off starting the best short-term option. I think that could be Wilson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed

The best short term option is Wilson

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :lolol:

I was only interested in Watson in the very beginning. Once the numbers of what it would take to land him were out, I no longer wanted him.

But prior to his time away from the game, I stand by that, he was a stud.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe we will need to draft a QB. I just think it’s foolish to not see if you can develop Fields while they have him here this season.

Scribe keeps mentioning Daniels, well if we had him I would also want them to start him over Fields but we don’t, we have Wilson. Some people think he’s still 25 year old version of himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    BS. Neither may be the long term answer, sure. But there is no guarantee that Wilson is going to do better. My argument is that the rest of the offense is so lacking that our offense will struggle no matter who the QB is. Mahomes is struggling without any WR's, what makes you think Wilson won't? We have a banged up OL that isn't winning, a WR room completely devoid of talent outside of Pickens, and a RB that until last game was averaging 3.3 YPC. This offense isn't built for any QB to have success... It is just so blatantly obvious. We need to make a trade for a WR or we are pretty much conceding that our offense is going to remain the same all year long no matter who the QB is. It's wild to me that so many people think that were going to put a washed up QB coming off of multiple iterations of missing time with the same injury, and he's just going to instantly improve our offense. Absolutely wild.

Fields is better than Watson and worse than Lamar. These things are fluid anyways. If we had Saquon Barkley as our RB and Tee Higgins as our WR2, I'd be willing to bet that our offense would look a lot better (no matter the QB). We just need to get a bit better with our personnel. We're going to have a TON of money to spend in the offseason. I suggest we do so.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They would have kept Kenny but he asked out.

And he’d have gotten a chance to play and keep his job had he handled that situation differently. Bad move by him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    That was the whole plan to begin with. Russ was brought in solely as "motivation/competition" to get the best out of Pickett, and a "back up plan" of sorts if Pickett continued to be god awful.

The "let's just check" trope is getting tired. There's a reason its not happening now, and its because Tomlin understands the gravity of that decision and isn't stupid enough to make that decision lightly at this point of the season. Tomlin may be a disaster as an on-field general (X's and O's, game plans, challenges , etc.), but he understands the locker room and the players. The decision to move off of Kenny last year was made at the exact right time, and if the decision to move off Fields has to be made this season... then it will be made at the right time again.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Nah, not improving.

• Like Like x 1