1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Did Fields lock up QB1?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 13, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Don’t see how they go away from Fields now. The low passing yardage is concerning but the guy is playing winning football and I still believe the yardage has more to do with conservative play calling than Fields. I wish they would open it up a bit but they are trying to limit mistakes and it’s working, he’s thrown one interception. They are playing it safe and he is making the plays when they need him to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Too many short passes and not enough passing TD’s.

Look …. If Russ sux, we can always go back to Justin, but we got to see if we can improve the passing game.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    No

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Easily yes. He's looked mostly good, despite being a bit inconsistent here and there. Russ doesn't survive with our back up OL... Ride it out to the bye and figure it out then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    If he hits on just a few of the passes he missed today, I would have a more positive feel about him. I don't think Tomlin goes to Wilson but I don't love Fields inaccuracy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I like Fields a lot. I think he could be a good long term solution for us. I think Wilson is more polished veteran that could be better short term for us.
    Going to be very hard to take the spot from him unless he has a couple bad games.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
  7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    This is a good take.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I see Fields more and more as a stop-gap.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Just got off of work so I only had seen bits and pieces of the game I am afraid. Many are saying that, in terms of passing, this was Fields' worst game to date. I myself will have to see the All 22 to give you my opinion personally.

Regardless though, if there is one thing I can say; Fields' turnovers are way, way down compared to his time in Chicago. That alone will keep him in the starting spot for at least another week. Having the Steelers go over 30 points isn't too shabby either.

10. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Ive been a Fields supporter since day 1, because ideally i want to find our QB of the future, the intangibles he brings, and he is younger than Wilson, who would give us a couple years if that. With that said, I don't know if I can say he is a lock just yet. I haven't seen enough from the passing game aspect and that's concerning. I'm not sure if it's:

1. Fields not seeing the field well and or the play calling?

2. If they are being too conservative and handicapping Fields a bit to make him more of a game manager?

3. Could it be that the offensive line is patchwork and Fields is feeling the pressure?? I don't think that's the case because it looks like he has time...most the time, and he seems ro have good pocket awareness.

4. The receivers not being able to separate consistently. We have our combat catch reciever in Pickens, we now need our elusive route runner who can create separation.

5. Our lack of running game not helping our passing game?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2024 at 9:23 PM
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think like Glenn said, it will take a couple of clunkers for Tomlin to switch to Wilson.

we also have to see what happens with the trade rumors this week. Speculation was they were holding off on a Devante trade until after this game.

One way or the other Tomlin has to **** or get off the pot, either get behind Fields and name him your starter or make the switch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I'd imagine Tomlin will make his decision come the Bye Week. If there is a time in which Tomlin can do so, I'd wager that the Bye Week gives him the best opportunity to do so.

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I’m a lil over Justin’s “let’s go sailin” passes anytime we have a good opportunity. Still a W’s a W.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Ya, that's the most likely time. Fields will be still QB1 on the depth chart, but Wilson will start after the bye week.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Right now Wilson is QB1 on the depth chart

We saw how that worked out for Pickett

Last edited: Oct 14, 2024 at 7:46 AM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    really? Lol… I didn’t know. I’m always a step behind Tomlin.

17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    No, hes a backup. If he couldn’t run he wouldn't even be that. He cant push the ball down the field. His accuracy and decision making are poor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Can’t win every game the way they did today. Field’s still struggles a lot in the passing game.

Personally you owe it to Russ to give him a shot. We all know Tomlin told him he was the guy or he would have never came here to be a back up. You blunder this and forget signing top FA vets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    special teams and turnovers got us over 30 points. Cant depend on that kind of luck every game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    If we go in 6-2 at the bye there is no reason to start wilson coming out of the bye if Fields is healthy

21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If the Steelers win the next 2 games and go into the bye week 6-2, then there is no way that Tomlin will switch to Russell Wilson after the bye.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I saw your post and at first I had thought that I doubled posted. I guess we were just thinking the exam same thing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    My concern is that the offense looks a lot like it did last year with Pickett. We have started so slow each of these first six games. We have not shown signs of being able to move down the field and score that much in the first halfs, let alone do it quick. Last week in Dallas, they went up quick forcing us out of our comfort run game and be more aggressive, so the stats looked a little better but they weren't great.

If the running game didn't work today and we didn't get the turnovers, it would have been really close. I like Field's ability to run, but I think that success was more of a failure of the Raiders D for not having a spy on him. Better defenses won't let him run as well.

Fields has made a few nice throws on the run which I really like, but he realllly struggles throwing in the pocket. It is almost as painful as watching Pickett. So Fields is better than Pickett because he can run and make some throws on the run, but overall I don't see him being good enough in year four to be out long-term option. And if we are only playing him to see what we have in him, I don't know. We are 4-2 with a really good defense that is carrying the team. I think they should roll with Wilson to try to get to the playoffs and win in the playoffs rather than trying to develop a future QB.

I know this is a minority opinion, but I would rather see Allen than Fields at this point. But you have Russell Wilson right there. Use him and try to win the Super Bowl then figure out QB for the future in the off-season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    I think the Steelers have no choice. Wilson is at the end of his career Fields is young and could help the Steelers for years to come. Right now this is not a good position for any Qb with a below average oline and no go to Wr. The best offense the Steelers have had this year is Fields running im not sure Wilson could match this.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Based on what specifically?!

Not sure if Tomlin himself wants to ruin the hot hand right now at QB. Again, as I said, I didn't watch todays game. All I had heard was this was Fields' worst performance as a Steeler to date in terms of passing the football. Should this inefficiency continue next week against the likes of New York?!

I would expect a change there and then. That said, be it Russell or Justin, who else not named George Pickens can become a WR 2?! Van Jefferson clearly isn't it.