1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play Russell W. on Sunday, if healthy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Oct 7, 2024.

1. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Russell was at one point. I saw something that through the first 7 or 8 years of his career he had either the highest quarterback rating of all time for the best completion percentage. I'll have to look it up and post back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Correct - Russ was a beast for a number of years. was in a great 'system' for him.

4. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st we don't get to a playoff without Mason playing. 2nd nobody said Mason was great .....he was just better than what we had going.
    3th. Nobody is saying Wilson is great, but He maybe better right now than Fields.
    4th. He hasn't been a runner in many years.....he learned to move to buy time to throw.
    What's the problem if it doesn't work.....put Fields back in. We don't owe any of these Qb anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Last possession against the Cowboys who would you trust more? Wilson or Fields. There’s something about experience. Although Fields is more talented, it doesn’t matter if he doesn’t know how to apply that talent.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Fields last possession against the Cowboys ended in a TD to give us a 4 point lead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Fields was game managing against dallas. Last scoring drive was a couple short passes and runs and an unnecessary roughness penalty that got us in the red zone. Fields didnt do that much. In fact he was barely average for a game manager. We might squeak out a win against the Raiders with Fields but if the steelers are serious about reaching the playoffs they have to give wilson a shot.

If he's healthy for Oakland they should play him.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2024 at 2:31 AM
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Tomlin does not know what do to.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    With the way that Fields has been playing, I'd actually expect Wilson to be a downgrade. His limited mobility is going to do him no favors with our injured OL, and you can only throw quick slants so many times before they start getting sat on and jumped. This offense will improve once we add a real WR opposite Pickens and sit Najee behind Warren and Patterson. There is no reason to start Wilson unless we drop the game against the Raiders with a bad game from Fields. TBH, Justin should go to the bye week and we can make a determination at that time who we will be going with for the remainder of the year. QB carousel garbage never works. Roll with the guy that has been playing until the season appears to be in dire straits. We aren't there yet. Gotta keep going with Fields here for at least another week or two.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree with this. It's felt like this for years now unfortunately....

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Right now it’s just a flat line projection to number 2 on Sunday

Fields wins and plays well and the countdown most likely still will not start

13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The weapons around Fields have been subpar this season. A terrible WR corps, injuries to the RB's and a beat up offensive line. Fields has accounted for all 8 TD's the Steelers have scored this season but he needs a lot more help surrounding him on the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I want to see Russell Wilson come out as the starter. I am ready to see the Steelers break this 3 game losing streak with Mike Tomlin's QB #1, Russell Wilson!!!

If not, my odds say 50/50 he gets in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    2 game losing streak. Not 3 games.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL.. I guess I am already giving Justin Fields his 3rd loss.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    I dont get this fields is “more talented stuff”.

He's just better at running with the ball and has a stronger arm so he can make a wow play here and there occasionally.
    defense did most of the heavy lifting in our three wins. Now with injuries they’re starting to crack a bit.

Wilson can read defenses, better at processing, big game experience (Fields has none). Still mobile and decent arm strength. I don't expect Fields to turn into Randall Cunningham or Steve young overnight so i would think that Wilson will be out there after the bye if not sooner if were struggling against the raiders

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I too call them Oakland. That poor city loses their teams a lot. Just lost their baseball team.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t confuse him with facts

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed

More athletic I can agree with

Kordell was athletic but that did not make him a good quarterback candidate

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I honestly don't believe RW could be successful with the current
    offensive line. Young and inexperienced. They will get better, I believe if they don't roll him out he could not get away from pass rush. More check down , see Ben R. Last few years. No thanks.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    As much as I ***** about Ben’s last 2 years and the contract extension that aimed us to this mess he did have 55 touchdowns in those 2 years

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. Steelvision

Jun 28, 2022
    yeah they’ll always be Oakland to me. I still call the Chargers San Diego too. Davis was too cheap to pay for some of the wanted upgrades so he went somewhere where they would pay for what he wanted and make him more of a profit. Screw the people of oakland.

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    looks like I am one week off, this Sunday night is the coming out party?

We know what Fields is and can do. He does not suck, but he is not any special 'solution' for 2024. He may be around for 2025 and beyond - that remains to be seen

Can Russ cook with this offense? I am not sure, but ready to see some passes that get completed, some movement down field. Maybe the players respond - I don't know, but seems Tomlin is leaning that way.

• Agree Agree x 1