1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotta have next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Oct 7, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I bet a 4 point lead is not what He meant

3. SteelLion69

SteelLion69 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023

I agree on the defensive coaching. It would be nice to have a defense that can play off the successes and momentum of the offense.

We are going to agree to disagree on QB. Fields and Wilson aren't good enough. We do need a QB in the draft, especially since Tomlin isn't going anywhere.

Investing any significant cap space in Fields or Wilson is pointless, better to go with a cap friendly dual-threat healthier rookie that can hand the ball off.

I do think a Reid or Shanahan could get more out of Justin Fields, but we don't have that kind of brain power at the head coaching position. I suppose if we had #1, we can do without #2 for awhile, so I agree with you in that sense.

4. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean the same Guy who say Trubisky was all that, the same guy who said Mason was the worst Qb on our team. That guy....the Guy who said so many things wrong nit about this team, but many teams. The same guys who said we need to get rif of Ben....Ben the Qb that scored 55 tds in the last two years of Him playing.....so we could have all these other Qbs that added together haven't scored that many tds since He left. That Guy???

6. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Again you keep on skipping over the part about EXPECTATION. “To much is given, much is EXPECTED”. The defense is tenured and experienced. The defense has pedigree everywhere. Multiple All Pro players at all three levels. A decades old system that hasn’t changed. A head Coach that essentially runs the defense.

Now lest compare the offense: A new OC. Two new QB’s to the team and the system this year. Two new Offensive Line rookies starting. A guard coming off injury for his first game of the year. two of our three starting RB’s oo=injured. a new outside zone blocking scheme that we aren’t even sure is a fit for the starting RB. Essentially one starting capable WR.

Him are you starting to see the picture now? Do you understand why the expectation is much higher for the Defense to win us games. By the way Dallas isn’t and hasn’t been lighting the world on fire with their offense. Their line has been an issue all year and they were down a starting WR. They had no running game coming into this game before playing the Steelers. So yeah the expectation was for the defense to win us this game. We had the chance at the end of the game to do this but we couldn’t.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude....3 HCs, and what 5 OCs later, and Fields is not much better. Yet it's never a thought that at this time He's just not good enough????
    I like the kid, and I hope He can be better, but just blindly putting the blame on everyone else is just strange

8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You just pointed out all the things he said about offensive players and in particular QB’s. He was right about Ben at the end of his career. But in this particular article he is talking about Defense which is something as a professional player he knows deeply about especially in the context of the Steelers defensive scheme as he played in it. Yes I trust what this guy and what my eyes are telling me here. This defense is broken right now.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We are top 3, and number 1 in many many many Defensive categories right now ....we are down to our 3 string olb....why is everyone acting like this Defensive isn't any good???

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He was right in saying Trubisky would be better than Ben??? That was right??? LoL. Tell Me how a Qb that had 55 tds his last two years....is worse than all the Qbs we've had since not having that many tds added all together???? With a straight face tell me how that's better???

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Thank you for admitting the defense failed. This is Tomlins game plan. He loves to keep games close to the last drive of the game. With it being up to the defense being out there to stop the opposing teams offense. You are we Failed. It is a flawed philopshy. In today’s game when PI penalties are called as often as Kamala Harris cackles and says she was raised in a middle class family; it is very dangerous to play this brand of football. It is catching up to us. thank you for admitting the defense failed.

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The expectation is for this Defense to be Elite. From my perspective this defense should be winning us games. It has not, it has lost us the last two games. I think this defense has the potential to be elite but Tomlin needs to get out of his own way and stop micromanaging. We do not have an innovative blitz package or scheme. We have not figured out how to protect our Nickel CB. We can’t stop chiunki plays. We can’t defend the pass, espciecally over the middle. We keep playing soft zone. We can’t stop the run without a five man front and stacking the box. We are certainly not top 3 in the last two games in any categories. The rankings re inflated because of the first few weeks when we didn’t play any QB’s. I am very concerned about this defense. In fact more so than offense.

13. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I know what the better unit is. That's all I'm saying it's been the best unit on the team for a long time. This team is poorly coached, that's the main problem. This is like watching MC's offense all over again. Just keep doing the same things over and over again, watching it fail, and then carrying on doing it anyway.

Fields might not be the long term answer, but he's not the problem, we have been dogwater on offense long long long before he arrived.

14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I misread what you said. Of course they weren’t better than Ben. But he was right in saying Ben was washed. It was at the end of his career. He didn’t have his legs under him which was a huge part of the way he played successfully. We all had hope for Trubiscky, but the offensive system was terrible and that just further broke Trubiscky. I broke Pickett as well. Im not saying those guys were going to be all pros but who knows what they could have been in the right system with the right coaching.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And it won us 3 games. Did it not??? Look at all the other Defenses that are close to us in everything. Their teams are scoring points, ours is not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I am utterly convinced from the last few years especially that it is so darn hard to evaluate QB talent without the right coaching and system in place to support them. I still think it is too early to judge our QBs because the offensive line isn’t complete and we don’t have the wr2 yet. I don’t think you throw Fields out yet. He has shown some good things. Yes if the QB falls in your lap you draft him but if you can upgrade the team elsewhere and not reach for a QB then you build that way and build the team around Fields. Clevleland gave up on Baker and were desperate and got a high priced vet who has faltered. It has destroyed their franchise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes I will give you that. I just think the offense is where we thought it was going to be at this point. Probably a little further behind but I am willing to extend them some grace based on the injuries on the offensive line and the fact we do not have a wr2 at the moment. The defense is concerning because I am starting to see the same problems crop up from years past and we were led to believe those problems were going to be rectified based on the signings and draft picks we expended on that side of the ball. That leads me to believe this is not a personnel issue but a schematic and philopshy issue which are Tomlin issues. I am not convinced the defense would be any better if we got a second all pro perimeter CB and slot CB in there. You can not rush only four as much as we do and play soft zone two deep safety and not expect to be picked apart or have teams run draw plays up the gut and just chisel you. Its very frustrating to watch. KC and Minnesota wouldn’t let that happen. My question to you is do you think KC or Minn have better defensive personnel than us? If so I would love to know who and at what positions. Yes in some areas they may but as a collective across the board they do not.

18. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Expectation....13 points and 3 turnovers. Just what I expected.

19. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    You seem more bent on 'this is Tomlin's fault' than what actually happened in the game.
    When you hold a team to 13 points AND get 3 turnovers, the EXPECTATION is the offense puts up points. They did not. Just one more score and we're not even talking about that last drive because it would not have mattered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Where's the fun in that? :smiley1:

I'll give it a shot though

My list:

Me

21. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I like it. Go on....

22. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    You're average franchise pays more than the Steelers.
    That's why your left with average records

23. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Down side with me as coach
    When I tend to over eat edibles
    I have terrible time management skills, look wide eyed without really looking, I challenge all the wrong events and sit passively when I should be more challenging.

24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    First of all we didn’t hold the Cowboys to 13 points, we held them to 20 points. The offense in fact did it’s job. They were up by 4 points and handed the game over to the defense with a lead. More than a field goal lead. That is typically n ideal situation when you supposedly have one of the top defenses in the league wouldn’t you think? You see hell bent on blaming the offense.

25. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    The average final score in the NFL is 24-21. This offense is not getting to average. The defense is holding teams to below average.

This is the way it has been since Ben's elbow injury. For whatever reason, for every reason, we have not been able to score points at an average pace.

• Informative Informative x 1