1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play Russell W. on Sunday, if healthy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Oct 7, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is subjective. Heyward had that early deep ball in his hands, but couldn't hold on. It was thrown a little too far out in front of him, but you'd like to see him catch it. Pickens had one on third down in the third quarter that went through his hands. Again, the throw was a little off, this time too high, but he got both hands on it. The same was true of a back-shoulder attempt to Jefferson.

The one to Pickens was probably the most impactful. The Steelers had the lead with an opportunity to extend it. They would have had a first down in Dallas territory. Pickens is supposed to be a No. 1. Fields needs to make a better throw when his guy is wide open, but Pickens also failed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I give Wilson a shot, but I'd be expecting a lot more throw aways/sacks. He's not escaping like Fields but I'd also bet he doesn't have a half with just 4 completions and 35 yards. We also lose all the designed QB runs which means a lot of red zone trips end in FG's. There's literally no one I trust to get open and catch the ball consistently including Pickens. I really don't get why any opposing team would not double team Pickens the entire game. I also don't trust the line to protect. The more I type, the more I think it's a miracle we ever score at all.

3. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Didn't Heyward also drop a beautiful pass down the sidelines?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Only if those receivers are playing against our secondary! :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    So again... playing Russell Wilson begets little to nothing.

Behind the replay of "Musical Chairs" of the Offensive Line?! Wilson may not last a half! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not sure if Fields is, or isn't the future, but for the sake of the team.....you must see what the other Qbs have if they are healthy. It doesn't help when the backup Qb comes in, and He throws the longest completion up to that point in the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The Colts look better with Flacco than they did with Richardson. Sometimes, a Super Bowl winning vet just makes things work. Even Ben’s last year was way more productive on offense than what we have seen since he retired. Let’s see what Wilson can do and maybe we can sneak into the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is the exact same thing that everyone said about Mason, and yet while Mason is not a great Qb....he was better than anything we had going at the time. Are You willing to not start a Qb just because????
    I want Fields to do well. He's young, he will be cheaper than a lot of Qbs, and I genuinely like the kid, but it's unfair to the rest of the team if another Qb on the team is better at this point. Be whomever that is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If you mean he almost pulled in a slightly-overthrown deep ball, then sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You mean the same tds , and turnovers that Lamar the MVP of last year had.....those tds?
    Funny those tds won one guy a MVP, and got the other one thinking He was done. :shrug:
    And I don't want to hear about the record differences.....Ravens had the number 1 ranked D, and the Broncos had the 27th. There is Your record difference.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not sure he could either but I’d rather try that than the offense they keep rolling out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok. I didn’t vote for him but you’re probably also leaving off about 1,000 yards rushing.

I’m sure that isn’t the only difference either if I popped in the tape.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it started with Ben because he couldn't move anymore. :cool:

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Perhaps it is both the system and the quarterback holding them back. Both things could be true.

To some extent, I think that was true last season as well. The difference is that was a quarterback in his second season and this is one in his fourth.

15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I'm confused. I thought after last week we were seeing a step forward in Fields and everyone wants Wilson. Look there is a constant in all this. Coach Tomlin is the constant. I didn't expect that much this year. I was hoping for a 6 or 7 win season. But at some point with the changes that have been made to this point you have to wonder what the hell Tomlin is doing. It's not all his fault but he is the guy in charge. This offense looks little difference than last year's. Same results. if he has some kind of master plan at work here then now is the time to reveal it. I'm betting we go three in a row against the Raiders. This team has no cohesiveness. Neither side of the ball is playing well. It's going to be long year.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No he did not. Just off a couple of feet, he tried. I am glad the Steelers actually
    took some shots downfield.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Pickens did also drop a pass, right between his hand - high and hot, but one he usually grabs

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Steelers need to move on from Tomlin. I've got nothing against him but we need a new approach. I'm sure he would get picked up in a heartbeat if he wanted to continue Coaching. I understand each year is different but there are a lot of teams who seem to have their franchise QB in place. Still in the early stages for some. We are not even close to having one. Russell Wilson WAS a damn good QB. He'll have a brief stay in the Burgh. Fields will not measure up to a lot of the starters in the league.

Steelers need a change and to get lucky in the draft. Three years from now we'll get Pitt's QB;)

19. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    ‘agree, we are dropping LBs into coverage and they don’t cover any one, would much rather see LBs blitzing then running around in a zone. We don’t get pressure with just the front 4 anymore. If the front 7 don’t create pressure the coverage is exposed every time. Minkah has been out of position many times and we have a lot of coverages blown.Queen IMO is a total bust, last night over ran RBs multiple times and doesn’t get off blocks. We lost the last 2 games by 3 points because of 2 main reasons: 1. Offense philosophy is vanilla, conservative and think we only need 20 points to win. 2. Defense in both games could not get a stop in a one possession game when we need it. In fairness to the defense last night without them we would have got blown out by 21 points.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

in other words - TOMLIN.

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

most talk out of their hiney's or they don't know what they are watching. they don;t watch enough other GOOD football to know the difference

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

this was true about 7 years ago....

ROONEY likes it!!!!!

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Same old song and dance for years now

• Agree Agree x 1