1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotta have next year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Oct 7, 2024.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    We gotta find a good oline coach, and a def coordinator next year.. and take some of the power from Tomlin

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I understand the sentiments and agree on some of it. Austin was badly outcoached last night. Tomlin's conservative approach isn't working.

That said, though I've never been a huge fan of Meyer, I have a hard time blaming him for the problems on the offensive line. Jones isn't healthy. They have lost two starters and a key reserve for the season. Seumalu just played his first game and he clearly isn't 100 percent yet. They are starting two rookies and one second-year player and they have had no opportunity to establish any continuity up front. None of that is within the control of the offensive line coach.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

will NEVER happen

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Unfortunately true

Tomlin IS the DC

He needs to go.period, it's past due, but Art will never let him go

Sad

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Would be cool if someone started naming coaching prospects rather than 100,000 threads of coaches suck, get better ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That isn't our job. We don't have access to the information that Khan and Tomlin have. We don't have their expertise. Good head coaches find good assistants. Tomlin hasn't been able to do that.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    It will never happen. He is limiting Arthur Smith, its obvious. There is a reason why he doesn’t have a coaching tree. He will never find a good defensive coordinator. Tomlins idea is to develop a tool underneath him to say yes and agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think it was Paul Alexander's opinion last season that Tomlin doesn't want position coaches or assistants that might question him. It's impossible for us to know this to be the case but when you look at who he has had as his coordinators since Lebeau and Haley, it makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    None of this is our job. I'm talking about keep starting the same thread with a different name over and over. At least bring an idea with it.
    Who is Iowa's DC? BC's OL coach? Who are some of the year in year out better units and who is coaching them?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Doesn’t get old making the same excuses year after year? ON the defensive side it is always “We just need to communicate better”; On the Offensive side it is “We just need to build continuity on the offensive line”. The premise is always we have alot of new players etc. Its just bull crap. The Caommanders have nearly 2/3 of the team that has changed over. Yet they are lighting people up and playing aggressive defense. The issue is Tomlin’s philopshy and schemes on defense and offense. He certainly is less involved on offense but his overall philopshy is very present. Ultra conservative and don’t turn the ball over.

On the defensive side his hands are all over it. They went from an attacking aggressive style defense to an ultra conservative defense. Under Lebeau it was the Defensive line that was tasked with gap contain and occupying multiple blockers allowing the linebackers and safeties to flow freely to the ball and attack. We played alot of zone under Lebeaue which I didn’t;t like but the front seven style of play with the ILB’s I loved. Under Tomlin it is all about attacking with the two down lineman and edge players with gap penetration. The back ILB’s and Safeties and CB’s are asked to play ultra conservative under Tomlin. It will never change. Thats why we never invest heavily in CB’s honestly. They aren’t valued in our system. The ILB’s will never ever be stars in our system like they used to be under Lebeau.

I like Baltimores style of defense. Big massive DT’s to clog up the middle and push the pocket and allow your ILB’s and secondary to make plays. Alot of aggressive in your face press man coverage, etc. Lots of exotic and disguised blitzes. KC, Minnesota, Baltimore all have inferior talent to us on defense but they play alot more aggressively. This whole death by a thousand cuts defense just watching teams slowly marching down the field on us is so frustrating to watch. We never used to be like that. Wr used to humiliate teams. Not anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    ill name one, anf i yhink he sucks but gotts be better thsn Tomlin.......Bob Stoops lol

12. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    The Ravens have given up 126pts. Only 3AFC teams have given up more and they are the bottom dwellers in each division. The Patriots have given up fewer points.

We are doing well enough on defense that IF we were putting up 21 points per game we would be 4-1. Our defense is not the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022

Look who the Ravens played. We played nobody. You have to put it in context. I knew this defense was in trouble when I saw Herbert dice up in the Chargers game before he got hurt. Both the offense and defense are the issue, but we knew going into the season our defense was going to have to carry this offense until it got established. The onus is on the defense, they are the highest paid defense in the league.

14. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Steelers are 4th in total defense, 3rd in rushing defense, and 8th in pass defense. This is against NFL competition.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Give it time they won’t be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I agree with that. But I put that on the offense being under 20pts per game. It's hard to stop every team over a 17 game season. The offense has to pull their own weight at some point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Would have been cool if they kept Brian Flores. His defense looks great in Minnesota.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Who is getting paid more? The offense put the Steelers ahead with four minutes left in the game. The defense allowed Dallas to drive down for the game winning score. I suppose that is the offenses fault. The defense forced maybe one three and out the whole game. It’s their own fault why they were tired. This game just like the colts games is on the defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Generally I don't get Viking games but have seen two this season. They are tough. Maybe their older fans will have memories of "The Purple People Eaters".

• Like Like x 1
  20. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    The veteran players always make more than guys on rookie contracts. When this recycles I guess the offense will be making more.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get all that, but when a position group has been decimated in the way the Steelers' offensive line has this season, that is not an excuse. It is a reason.

22. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015

23. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    If your cheap with the pay compared to other franchises or you don’t know how to spread your money you get what you got.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, Stoops is so great he retired from college football and wasn't winning anything at the end of his career.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    So how much do they pay compared to other franchises?

• Winner Winner x 1