1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play Russell W. on Sunday, if healthy

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Oct 7, 2024.

1. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

I agree he's missed throws, do you think RW isn't going to miss throws as well? You can't live expecting your QB is going to play perfectly every week to carry a terrible offense. Not gonna happen, this is 34 year old RW not RW from a decade ago.

It's a mess becuase for years we haven't had the QB and probably still don't, but the offense has been terrible for years, and still is, and Tomlin's playing offense like it's 1972.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So, We are now officially doomed?:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The defense did not do its job against the Colts. It did not do its job last night. It isn't just about the massive failure on the final drive of the game. The only reason the Cowboys didn't score over 30 was Prescott making inexplicable unforced errors.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah, pretty much. :smiley1:

5. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Realistically this was always going to be a bit of a rebuilding year. No star QB, no star RB, no star WR, a young OL. The D is good but not great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, don’t start Wilson. People looking for a unicorn. Go watch some Denver games and you’ll see a lot of the same running out of the pocket and 3 and outs. I know what everyone is clinging to, 26 TD’s. I think it’s fools gold. He’s another year older and has a bad calf which he will likely re-injure because he likes to run around still. Denver ate 80 million to get rid of him, I dont care what his relationship was with the coach, if he could still play he’d be there.

130 yards is abysmal but Fields has been playing well overall. It’s not him, it’s the small ball Tomlin likes to play. The offense still looks like it’s being run by Pickett. Wonder why that is.

A lot of the feelings towards Fields is predetermined and were just waiting for any reason to dump on him but surprised he didn’t win fans over with the shot he took and then came back in the game and led them to a TD. Sit him? F-k that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Didn't they say during the broadcast that Russel Wilson said he was good to go for the Raiders game?

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed - they had to be GREAT, like 2000 Ravens, 2008 / 2010 Steelers , to go anywhere.

they are not, but that is b/c LeBeau is not here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They have to at least give Wilson a chance to see what he can do, 17 points and 130 yards passing by Fields isn't going to cut it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    they were soft on exactly what they said and didn't say. it was weird, I thought.

11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well, you are well stated with that, since March, when they both came over.

I am ready to let Russ Cook. Can't score any less, with him.....

offense stinks

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The offense has looked this way for the last 5 seasons with three different OC's. It's embarrassing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought it was pretty clear?

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was tired - LOL - may have missed that.

I am sure we will hear a lot this week on it.

Russ still listed as 3rd on the depth chart seems to tell me he is not 'ready' yet.

15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I remember when Josh Dobbs came in for a couple plays because Ben got hurt. Threw a perfect laser to get a first down. We know how that story ended. Not saying Kyle Allen isn’t the answer, but that sample size is awfully small. BTW, people can call for Wilson to replace Fields, but they better have some patience. Wilson hasn’t played a meaningful NFL game since week 15 last year. Tough for him or anyone to just flip a switch and be game ready. The struggling Raiders may offer him an opportunity to get back into it but the running game has to complement the passing game

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes, it is.

Tomlin is the constant.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I find it interesting that in one breath someone could say this team is trash, and in the next they're complaining about how the Steelers got beat by an "inferior" team. That makes zero sense. Who in the world thinks this team is legitimately better than the teams they are playing? They certainly weren't better than Dallas going in.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Well if I've learned anything from this board over the years, I'm sure we'll all be very patient if Russ struggles. Sorry, I don't know how to do the green font thingy.

Or did you mean Russ will quickly become a patient behind this O line? Yes, that makes more sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It was a poor effort across the board. How the hell do you lose a football game when you convincingly win the turnover battle? Even Cleveland is laughing. Thinking about it now, Dallas stopped itself more than Pittsburgh stopped them. That's unacceptable. Playing the way Tomlin wants means there is nearly zero room for error. When you play that conservative on both sides of the ball, so much has to go right to win because the margin for error is so slim.

There is no defending either side of the ball. If Prescott plays a clean game, Pittsburgh gets blown out last night. There's no question in my mind. Offensively, Pittsburgh scares no one other than its own fans.

Yes, they are beat up. Well, so is Dallas. Maybe even worse. Still, somehow, they found a way to win. Bottom line, they made just enough plays on offense and Pittsburgh didn't. At home. Obviously never know, but in my opinion, Wilson would have made a difference last night. Moving forward, I think overall Wilson could help because I feel what got Fields on a fast train out of Chicago is starting to show here. But I'm not delusional, either. This line isn't good enough and there simply aren't enough playmakers on that side of the ball to really do much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields has missed shows he should make. I'm not expecting perfection, but he has to hit the open receivers. Yes, I think Wilson will make more of those.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have a draft pick that has never seen the field. not sure what they are waiting for. we have good TE's use them. throw the ball where our receivers can catch it. use pickens as more than a jump ball receiver. don't overthrow them. don't throw into triple coverage. use a back out of the backfield besides the slow one. lot's of ways to free up receivers but the QB has to be able to find the open spot. this is the NFL, receivers are not going to be wide open waiting for the ball to get to them. matchups matter and the QB finding that matchup pre snap and post snap. running after the first read is covered is not good. flow. the offense has no flow to it. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    This game was exactly the trepidation I've had regarding Fields.
    You guys bellyached about Pickett and what we are seeing is a QB that is more athletic (although Kenny could run) and tamed down so as to not toss the picks which Kenny was doing either.
    None the less, I think Fields gives a little more, but I don't know about this "future of the franchise" stuff....

What aggravates was the lack of will to go out and make a WR happen via trade or Free Agency to be #2. I just can't help but see that as just being cheap.

This offense currently plods along and against aggressive Defenses..
    I think Smith is better than what I am seeing... I think he doesn't have enough of his guys and lastly, I think Wilson might be a better operator.

Anyway around it, If I am Omar, I take my lessons learned and we're going to fix this offense and if that means fixing the Head Coach as well, so be it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    reading defenses. fields is not good at it. i do think allen does it better. fields couldn't do it at OSU, he still can't. he misses matchups. one read and maybe two and looks for a run lane, that takes his eyes off of down the field. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think with Russ maybe we can expect what the offense looked with Rudolph but is that going to win a SB?

I say let Fields continue to grow. Make a decision at the end of the year based off of what he did for the season.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe Pickens needs to learn to run better routes and play more consistently before he can be more than a jump-ball receiver.

26. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we see what Fields can bring, he would be part of the re-build, which is coming in 2025.