1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 4

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 29, 2024 at 4:29 PM.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Speed perhaps. He looks incredibly slow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He could be so much more if OC could figure out how to use him
    Especially in goal line situation. He is a mismatch nightmare or should be.

3. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Could have just left it at that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    The loss was bad but worse because of it being Flacco. Agreed

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Is that even his call. I do not know the logistics of challenges but perhaps those replays and calls come from another member of the staff?

6. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    With all that being said and it’s a legit list, if a highly paid receiver does not drop the ball he had caught at the 4 yard line we likely score and win the game. Or if there is not a premature snap at the worse time possible, we have a shot. We lost Herbig and didn’t have Highsmith. Hell, if Patterson dosent go down. And if you noticed, an old name popped up in our secondary (Edmunds) and he got burned. We are still growing as a team and I don’t think we are far off. We laid an egg, not as bad as the Bills, but an egg none the less.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No surprise it happens all the time. They did neutralize him and had no other answer for a consistent pass rush. Herbig going out with an ankle didn't help then coming back had a sack on Flacco. Highsmith as mentioned was missed.

The secondary looked putrid. Exception is Elliot. He came to play.

Cam Heyward needs to lay off the twinkies. Ogunjobi had a decent day. Benton made a few plays. A few.

And the ILBers were soft.

Bad day for the defense as a whole.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Did Herbig get hurt or did they just yank him?

9. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I read an article that he injured his ankle in the first half.

10. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I didn't really buy into our good start to the season being 3-0

Still had feeling this team is 9-8 or maybe at best 10-7

For paying a $130 million on defense, it can't get gashed as bad as it did.

Too many mistakes all around. But, they did show some grit trying to get back into it.

Getting down 17-0 early and even getting back into the game late is hard in the NFL.

Just move on to Dallas, try to clean it up, wasn't the best effort out of this team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Thanks. I missed it. I couldn't watch it live, so I was stuck with the NFL+ replay. I may have fast-forwarded through some of the discussion between plays. It's odd that Tomlin didn't even mention it in the post game. He only mentioned Daniels and Patterson. I hope that means Herbig is okay. He wasn't great Sunday, but things get even worse behind him.

13. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I didn’t know he was hurt while watching it live. I didn’t know till I read something later. Usually they follow everyone to the tent, but apparently not this time. It don’t sound too bad but ankles often come with the dreaded “high ankle sprain”

14. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    He's not slow at all, he ran a 4.65 40 yard dash at the combine which was the 6th best time of any tight end tested. Especially impressive when you consider that Washington is 6'7 270lbs

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes he has a say in the game planning, I was talking about making the game day defensive calls.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    get that stupid Raven> Queen <out of here-- he's an infiltrator put here by Harbaugh to F us over:mad::mad::mad::ratbirds: and so does Queen and take crybaby Broderick with him. And this center QB :poopy::poopy::poopy: has gone on long enough STOP IT. HENRY IS GOING TO GET 500 YRDS against us watch Queen will say there you go buddy run right past me.WATCH

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can only say this a few dozen more times...., but when You spend a whole week on working on keys, and things a Qb likes to do at certain situations, and how they will defend it, and practice this , and go over it during the week, and then the same Qb that you practiced for all week goes out on their 2nd drive of the game. All of that goes out the window......, and on top of this.....the Qb that you are now facing is not only a better Qb, but a totally different type of Qb that You have game planned against all week... it can be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I told my wife when Tomlin threw the red flag that there is no way we win this challenge and should have just called a time out and saved the challenge....but saving them and getting them right are not on Tomlins resume'

• Like Like x 1
  19. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    [QUOTE="Actually, several of the sacks Justin took, he only lost 3 to 5 yards. Of course that was that glaring fr decision he made in the fourth quarter.[/QUOTE]

On the replay for the game.

At about 10:30 in the first, sack for 7 yards that was negated by a roughing the passer call. 7 yards back is reasonable to me.

At about 7:50 in the second, he was under center, went back about 10 yards and was in trouble, ran forward and did a shuffle pass to Patterson for a gain.

At about 5:00 in the second, under center he dropped back about 8 yards and was about to get crushed. Barely dumped it off to Washington who then had his hurdle run.

At about 1:10 in the second, Fields in shotgun sacked for a loss of 4.

At about 1:05 in the second, Fields in the shotgun almost sacked for a loss of 8, but scrambled for a big gain.

At about :18 in the second, Fields from the shotgun back as far as 8, sacked for a loss of 3.

At about 13:50 in the third, Fields under center, back as far as about 6, sacked for a loss of 3.

At about 8:46 in the third, Fields in the shotgun, back as far as 10, was tackled, barely got a dump pass off to get back to the los.

At about 7:50 in the third, Fields in the shotgun, the fumble sack. It was about 20 yards back.

At about 12:55 in the 4th, Fields in the shotgun, back as far as 12 yards in trouble threw it away.

At about 6:00 in the 4th, Fields under center, back about 10 yards, pass batted down by defenders in his face.

At about 1:36 in the 4th, Fields in the shotgun, the muffed snap that ended the game.

My conclusions based on this game only, and I am sure that I missed something as I was skipping thru the replay.

He was not back as far as often as my memory recalled after the game. Probably near to 20% of the pass plays had him back 10+ yards from the los. I don't know what normal would be considered.
    Fields is far more comfortable in the shotgun than under center.
    Under center, his first action is to always sprint back to where he would have been standing for the shotgun or a bit further and it is going to be a pass play 95% of the time. I think there was only 1 or 2 handoffs from under center, but I was not specifically counting those.
    In the shotgun when he has protection, he will stay there or at most take an additional step back before passing. But when he has defenders coming, he tends to run back and try to roll out of it. He seemed to do pretty well finding someone to throw the ball to when under this pressure.
    When Fields in in trouble, he still has his eyes downfield. He got a few really nice gains when it looked like doom was on him.
    It seemed like the offensive line broke down faster when Fields was under center than when he was in the shotgun.

Overall, I still think Fields performed well.

For any of you football brains out there, what is the advantage of being under center rather than in the shotgun for anything other than a less than 1 yard to go play?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 2:47 PM
  20. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Fixed it for ya lol
    Coach Tomlin needs to lay off the twinkies

21. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn’t make any adjustments?
    We outscored them 24-13 the last 3 quarters of the game.