1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 4

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 29, 2024 at 4:29 PM.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    For as awful as the game ended, it was still the most fun I've had watching a game in awhile.

They shouldn't have even been in this game, but they fought back and scored TD's on three straight drives to get them back in the game, and had a fantastic opportunity to at least tie they game at the end. Until disaster struck. That was brutal.

They do have to figure out these blocking assignments. At least twice I saw a free rusher blow by Jones without Jones even looking. Is Fields supposed to slide the coverage? Is that Frazier's call? They look lost out there.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Knew you would turn around!

Fields is showcasing why he was drafted where he was. Talent like that simply doesn't dissipate barring extreme circumstances. For that matter, for how piss poor Chicago effed up Fields' development, it is incredible that he still has all that talent that he showcased at Ohio State. Dude can still play in this league.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Great write up as always, B&G. I just went back and watched the whole game. I’m not as upset as I usually am after a loss. This was one of those games where everything that could go wrong DID go wrong. Yet somehow they hung with it and almost stole a win. I’m actually encouraged by this. Colts got EVERY break and still barely hung on to win by three.

Porter had an off day and losing Daniels early threw the game plan into disarray. But Smith figured something out and Patterson was gashing the Colts defense, then he too got hurt. Steelers couldn’t catch a break and they still almost pulled it off.

Frazier blew it on the snap that hit Fields in the face. The replays I’ve seen show him snapping the ball before the LG tapped him.

Najee made the most boneheaded play I’ve ever seen him make by NOT getting out of bounds. Those two plays killed the last drive.

The call on Minkah was absolute nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Another point. We should start a petition to take the red flag away from Tomlin and give it to someone else. He has a unique ability to throw it when he will lose and to not throw it when he should have........

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Colts players came ready to play. They were hyped up from the jump. Seemed like this was their Super Bowl.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This, and they went at the kid. This doesn't say he won't get better, but they took advantage of him a bit today

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think it was an ankle injury, not a concussion. (Getting your bell rung is a concussion, even if it is a mild one.)

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. Herbig is a hell of a pass rusher, but the rest of his game just isn't there yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GtownNCSteeler

GtownNCSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Well if you are watching the dam ravens right now you can see after week 4 that the Steelers will be falling out of first place in our division real quick but we led for several weeks. Ravens are becoming a dominant team and KC are extremely happy they got them first because they don’t want none of the week 3 and 4 ravens!This team is stupid good! Henry has changed their whole identity!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    My opinion after the first 4 weeks:

1. The first 15 offensive plays is when we should be moving the ball down the field and score because we've already gamed planned these....and I haven't seen that once with this offense.

2. Our running game is really missing Jaylen Warren. Najee with 13 carries for 19 yards today vs the 2nd worst run defense is enough evidence and it showed when Cordelle Patterson was carrying the rock and running for 5-10 yards a pop. The O-lineman probably have sore backs from Najee running up their backs.

3. Why do we have press man corners and running this soft zone coverage? The middle of the field is always open for dump offs to the running backs and slants and we saw that again today. Even with 3rd and short we are playing off and allowing for an easy first down.

4. Why aren't we blitzing every so often to change things up and create a little more chaos for the QB to deal with? We have quick linebackers with Queen and Wilson. Show different looks and load up a side.

5. Arthur Smith needs to implement more quick passes to help out the inexperienced offensive line and to help Fields get into a rhythm to start the game out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    At least the colts showed TJ some love , They were hugging him all day long.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WC459

WC459 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2019
    Bills are frauds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I almost fell over when they threw a pass on first and ten once..... The rest of the time, whatever rb was in was getting the ball on first down..... Exaggerating a bit there, but not much.

14. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I agree with everything you're saying. The offense runs the same old conservative predictable opening plays every week. When was the last time the offense even tried a flea flicker? It seems like the Colts D knew every play that was coming. The 32 year old Patterson is much more explosive than Najee. Patterson can find the holes, Najee can't. I honestly think he's the worst RB on the roster, the offense is better without him. They got out coached. Steichan was playing chess, while Tomlin was playing checkers. Makes no sense why they never blitz. I wish one those presstitutes at Tomlin's press conferences would have the balls would ask him why not?

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think that was one of the questions at the post game press conference about them not blitzing more, he said something about them wanting to have seven players in coverage. Well their coverage wasn't good enough against the Colts, so they should've blitzed old man Flacco more.

16. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Ok, I didn't watch it. Good to know that at least someone asked him, lame answer though. Once again, Tomlin didn't make any adjustments, he kept going with what wasn't working. Pretty typical

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Austin is the DC not Tomlin :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    So Tomlin has no say in the matter?

19. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Why not? Just throw him the damn ball.

20. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Right. That catch and run by Washington was far better than anything I've seen from Freiermuth

21. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Muth is pretty sure-handed and has a good feel for zones. Few have the freak athleticism of Washington, other than maybe Pickens and Fields.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought the game was rigged?

23. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Rigged? The refs were poor but that’s across the league man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That dude things the NFL is scripted.
    Yeah refs suck bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I am 'Johnny Come late' but to tell you the truth, I need to watch this game again.

1. I don't agree with the Pickens assessment at all. I think his fumble wasn't as the broadcast team said, it was unfortunate in making a brilliant play.. it is a bad timing stroke of disaster. Had he held on, people would be singing praises.

2. Justin Fields. I don't like him anyway, so I have to carefully balance my thoughts. Justin has been serviceable in the first three game, playing well enough to win. I've never been blinded by that fact. Sunday I saw about what I expected from him in that some plays I just want to send him to the locker room, other plays he provides shock and awe. I worried about him playing against a defense like this which is next level from what he has played the first 3 games. Some may want to go all in on him, Sunday only proved to me that 'he is who I thought he was.'

3. Defensively, they dismantled us. That was tough to watch the first time through, the second time was worthy of an entire bottle of Pepto-Bismol. Mistakes, blown assignments, inability to come with the big play, etc.. Consistency just wasn't there.

4. The go-for-it call - I can't knock Tomlin and company for that. There is no reason this offense shouldn't be able to get that first down. I don't want to beat up Fields, but it was doable. In the end, the blame doesn't rest solidly on his shoulders, there were Un sustained blocks and it didn't really look like they were on the same page and no hard count.

5. Injuries.

In summary, I think the defense was the bigger disappointment though the entire team just seemed not ready to match the intensity of the Colts. Very poor effort on Tomlins part.