1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on regular season wk 4

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 29, 2024 at 4:29 PM.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. For the first 3 quarters, both sides of the line were completely dominated

2. Communication on the 2nd level of the defense was sorely lacking

3. Slant passes were killing our coverage

4. Refs called some head sratchers and missed some really blatant calls

5. George Pickens was wildly inconsistent.. spectacular one minute and sophomoric the next

6. Justin Fields appeared timid in the 1st half and missed some downfield opportunities.. the 2nd half was almost spectacular, but his weaknesses still reared it's ugly head... the consistent snap issues are all on him

7. The 1st half collapse is on the coaches

8. Once again, our defensive effectiveness is predicated on our pass rush, or lack thereof

9. Deshon Elliott and Cam Heyward were the only defenders that played a full 60 minutes

10. Injuries killed us throughout

11. Najee Harris just didn't look right

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    All good here- I'll add that it was nice to see what Darnell Washington is capable of.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

Its too high to draft a blocking tight end I know that much. Steelers again, mis-using players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Number 8 seems to be the running theme overall. For that matter, a lot of people noted how horrible the entire Defense was in the first three Quarters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I like him, but he's honestly more of a novelty than anything. I don't think he can ever be a legit consistent receiver

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I would've been tempted to simply write "no comment"

7. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    How are the snap issues all on him, the guard never tapped the center, he had no business hiking it.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The center to QB exchange happens on almost every single play of the game. It is the most common action of the game. Yet somehow, every game this year, we are muffing it up a few times. There is a problem here and it needs fixed. It has cost us every time. This time, it took away a golden opportunity to come back and win the game.

Justin Fields has some skill and I think he has the potential to be the guy. I am happy with keeping him at QB. My biggest complaint is that he frequently dropped straight back a long ways. When he gets into trouble, he is in trouble way back and takes a big loss. I also think that his passing needs to become a bigger part of the game, especially with our RBs getting banged up. Today, 22/34 for 312 yards, 1 td, no int, 104.0 rating. That is solid.

Pickens is great. Not good, but great IMO. He has some problems, but he is making some fantastic plays. IMO, his problems are extending the ball for extra yards for no reason. An extra yard on a 37 yard play is inconsequential. Extend it for a 1st down or a TD, but don’t take the risk that comes with extending the ball for no benchmark gain. Also, tuck that ball. A 5 finger death grip against a DB or Safety is not enough. If they get close to that ball, they are knocking it away. 7/11, 113 yards, 16.1 avg.

The Steelers need to work on 4th and less than 1. I feel like we are 0/50 on this play. In fact, it seems like we usually lose a yard on this play. While I don’t expect it to be a gimmee, we should be getting this more than we are not getting it.

Calvin Austin is a great splash player. When he does not bounce around and look for a spot to run, he is awesome. He made some big plays today. Grab the pigskin and roll!

It is much easier to play from ahead than to play from behind. 3 points in the first half, 21 in the second. Can we move some of that effort from the second half into the first?

Refs.......man o man. This is going to be a long year in the NFL. It is not just our games either.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  9. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    I don't know, I mean - is that entirely fair? I mean, at least some of the problems could also be leveled at Frazier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    When he does get the ball, he is a beast. Such a big guy. He must really be lacking in a few other areas for them not to use him more.....too slow, bad hands, bad routes......something.

11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree for the most part, but it's not fair to blame Fields entirely for the snap issues. Frazier has been problematic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding Kenny Pickett vs Justin Fields?!

Yeah... I'm not seeing it. One was universally a Top 10 talent at worst when he came out of Ohio State. The other was projected anywhere to be a 2nd Round Pick to a 5th Rounder at worst.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickens was disappointing today. But in his defense....the entire offense was a disappointment. Colts should have won the game by at least 2 scores. Colts had some bonehead mistakes and penalties that kept it close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Frazier and Fields both have to do a better job, though Fields was right when he said he has to be ready for the snap in that situation. He had kicked his foot once. Maybe a veteran center adjusts better, but Fields still has to be ready. That is a hell of a way to lose a game.

The defense was terrible most of the game. Porter played a poor game and they never figured out how to cover a slant all game. That's just inexcusable.

The Steelers weren't ready today and the injuries are just brutal. Harris isn't 100 percent and he's all they have left at running back. I imagine Daniels is going to be out for a while. This team is now missing its top three guards and the first-round pick who was starting at right tackle. That's just brutal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    For those that blame Frazier on those errant snaps, consider the snap count.... if you look at film of the miscues, it's Fields looking away just as the snap comes in... that has happened too much for it to be on the C.... Fields ' timing is off and he's trying to do too much

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    12. TJ was almost non-existent
    13. Why do they continue to keep Leal and Loudermilk? Do those guys ever do anything?

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Fields shortcomings were present but he tried to will the team for a comeback in the 4th. For that he gets another start.

This O Line needs to get right. Hopefully they get Seumalo back next week. Danials going down with the ankle didn't help. Jones, man I don't know at this point. Still shaky.

Watt being contained the whole game was a negative as well. I really like what Elliot brings to the table.

Bring on the Cryboys...

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    We had over 400 yards of offense that is a good thing

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Serious question.

You wouldn't happen to be the Snoop Doggie Dogg would you?

D O to the double G! Shizel dizzel nizzel

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The officials missed a couple of blatant holds on Watt, including on the touchdown that put the Colts up 14-0, but yeah, he had a quiet game. The Colts threw everything at him and Herbig wasn't able to take advantage. They missed Highsmith big time today.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That was impressive. That's the kind of play he made at Georgia that got people excited about him. I still don't think he's going to catch a ton of balls, but if he can make the occasional play like that, he's going to be a big help to the offense.

23. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    looks like Moore moved closed to the snap, probably on the D-lineman's movement. McCormick definitely wasn't ready. No great having two rookies, one giving the signal to the C.

24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The blame game does not fix the issue, you have a rookie C who for the most part is doing great, a rookie G in his first start who is supposed to tap Frazier, a QB who has had issues in the past and it continues, and at that one critical moment there was really no need to rush. Blame it on one or all of the above, but all of the above need consistently addressed and practiced to get this knocked out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

SO........

HOW MANY MORE TIMES IS THIS GOING TO BE A THEME?!

This all started back in 2021 via the players. It is STILL ONGOING. WTF?!

• Agree Agree x 1