1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The running game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 23, 2024 at 8:39 AM.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I have no idea whT you said but man I do love numbers!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Steelersfan84

Steelersfan84 Well-Known Member

Sunday
    Need more outside zone runs so Fields can boot off of that.

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If he runs like he did against the Chargers with him and Najee, those cb's and safety's of the Colts will be waiving the
    white flag.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Harris is one of my favorite RB's but the absence of Warren does impact his game and the Steelers ground game.
    Warren has the speed to take it to the house from anywhere at any given time.
    I look at Harris much the same way as I look at Henry.

The blocking has been an issue. Hopefully they heal up and we see some consistency develop.

Speed kills and as long as those WR's can stretch the field, the more defenses hesitate. Wilson's speed will be a nice addition once healthy which looks like it maybe soon.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    100% I laugh every time I see your avatar pic! :rawk:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tank McGee

Tank McGee Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Patterson 4.9 yards per attempt
    Warren 3.9 yards per attempt
    Harris 3.8 yards per attempt

I hope the Steelers never waste another 1st round pick on a running back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    KEEP throwing on first down....

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

and PLAY THE KIDS!

9. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I predict that this year's KICK to the running game will be Mason McCormick. Although it will be nice to get Seumalo back also.

Anderson was just to much of a downgrade, and needs to just be the swing tackle for right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not so fast my friend, remember what the Colts did to the Steelers last year in Indy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So far this year if You watch the D....that's exactly what they are trying to do. Chargers had to change their tactics a little bit after the 1st half

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Would somebody please explain small sample sizes? I'm trying to play nice these days.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Tank McGee

Tank McGee Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Harris career average = 3.9 yards per carry. Would someone please explain football? I'm trying to play nice these days.

14. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Small sample size...... Those annoying little packs with only 2 nutter butters cookies in them. Who eats only 2 nutter butters? That is a small sample size. It should be at least 8!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why? Who are you? I hope you didn't hurt yourself moving the goalposts like that.

You compared the averages per carry for this season, which are very small samples, especially for Warren and Patterson. Now you moved the goalposts to talk about career numbers. I should have asked people to explain trends to you as well. Harris had the best average of his career last season despite an offensive line that stunk the first half of the season and a passing game no opponent had to respect. He has dealt with those things his entire career. Maybe we need to work on context, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not buying into the thinking that just because the Colts and Cowboys are bad against the run the Steelers are going to win. Teams are still going to stack the box until the Steelers passing game improves.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I doubt it will get much better, but if Austin can be a second threat, along with Pickens, and if Fields can continue to use his legs to stress the defense, there should be room to run. I think the bigger issue is the play of the line, which is nowhere near where it should be due to injuries and inexperience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Trade rumor is
    We will trade Harris and Warren and become a passing offence

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude. I was hoping You would say something....because I'm so tired of explaining simple things that should not be hard understand.

20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The big difference is the QB's in that game compared to this year. The Colts had Gardner Minshew and we had Throw A Pick Along With Mitch. This year the Colts have Anthony Jamarcus Richardson and we have Justin Fields. Our QB situation is better while the Colts is worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    It sure sounds like Mason McCormick is going to start this week.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Colts are a top 5 team in explosive pass plays, and they have a good RB in Taylor who didn't play in the game last year.

23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Small sample size for Warren and Patterson this season. Harris' workload has been heavy so far. Especially since Warren's career YPC is 5.1 and Patterson's is 4.3 since becoming a RB full time (he mainly did WR runs/jet sweeps prior to his time in ATL so it is hard for me to want to include that in his average). It is less the fact that we shouldn't draft a RB in the first round again, and more that if we do we need to get a player better than Harris. I'd be 100% okay with spending a first round pick on a RB the caliber of LeVeon Bell, Nick Chubb, or Derrick Henry... just wouldn't want to draft another middling RB with that high of capital. Another thing to keep in mind too is the shorter career span of an NFL RB. Most positions can make it to early-mid 30's while very few RB's have legs once they reach 30. So a 7-8 year career is a very long one, while WR's can go 10-12 and QB's even longer. Puts a premium on that back being ready to play day 1 and ready to be a stud within a year or two. I wouldn't say never, just we need to get it right.

I've made the argument in other threads that there are just more good RB's than there are starting RB jobs. The difference between RB20 and RB45 is very small, but the difference between RB5 and RB20 is pretty drastic imo. Essentially a low end starting back isn't going to be much better than a high end tandem back. Many are just mix and match skillsets. Very few backs have that all around skillset that makes them that true #1 bell cow back. The rest are missing something, and has to have that deficiency made up with a secondary back to be in tandem with. You look at CMC, Hall, Cook, Gibbs, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Barkley, Kamara and Achane as guys who can kinda do it all. Henry, Chubb, and Taylor are really the only backs that don't catch the ball at an NFL level... however they are all massively exceptional as a runner so it doesn't matter. You just build your team around it. Those guys are the top 12 backs in the league right now IMO, and what I would call Tier 1 backs. Jacobs, Jones, Pacheco, Montgomery, Mixon, Etienne, Walker III, and Conner are kinda the next tier of guy. You can put Harris at the very bottom of tier two or top of tier 3, doesn't matter to me.

24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That is what has Colts fans enamored with Richardson. He has the arm talent to make massively exceptional plays down the field... However, he is sub 50% completion percentage and has throw 6 picks and fumbled twice in 3 games. Because of this, I would assume that the Colts are probably top 5 in disaster pass plays as well. Taylor is a huge boon for them, but I think a clear strategy lies in place. Contain Taylor and try to harass Richardson into making more disaster plays than explosive plays.

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We need Minkah to play deep so he can get an interception.

• Winner Winner x 1