1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Justin Fields Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Sep 22, 2024 at 6:13 PM.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    This is just about how bad the bears situation is.....Like they let Fields had many bad habits in his 3 years he was with the bears

3. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree. The only real thing we get from this comparison is to show that maybe the problem is, in fact, Chicago and not the QB.... Everyone thought that Field's inconsistencies and sporadic struggles were HIS fault and the Bears were only an upgrade away from being better. However, the "generational talent" in Williams is faring no better than Justin did in his time in Chicago. There is certainly plenty of time and opportunity to grow for Caleb, so there is no reason to write him off just yet, but all the same issues that plagued Justin are hurting Caleb right now.

One awesome thing about the Justin Fields scenario here is that he is only 25. Younger than Pickett. He still has a quality 8-10 years in front of him and if we can develop him into a quality QB, then we should have some prime years of contention. Still a long way to go (don't want to overreact after a 3 game sample size), but it is definitely an encouraging sign that Fields might be able to be that guy for us with a continued upward trajectory.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    If any QB get's drafted by the Bears in the 1st round, he'd probably be better off pulling an "Elway" and refuse to play for them

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    From a playing perspective, it might make sense. From a money perspective though... they're going to be enticed to play in the Chicago market. If they turn out to be a good QB at all, they can cash in there better than nearly anywhere else (outside of probably Dallas, LA, NYC).

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But we have no idea how Williams will be there after only 3 games in the NFL. That would be like judging P. Manning his 1st year after 3 games ....just because the Qbs before him sucked there. If we go by this .....P. Manning would never have been good....He went 3-13 with 26 tds, 28 ints, and 3 fumbles, and the Qbs before him weren't any good either.
    It's way way way too early to judge C. Williams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's what they told CJ Stroud,and Joe Burrow. Also I'd take a long hard look at the Colts before P. Manning arrived.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I didn't read the whole thread. I appreciate Fields has looked capable, controlled and limiting mistakes, all with a hobbled OL group.

The fact he has looked good in games where he hasn't had to carry or push anything is not quite making me confident he shuold be clear-cut starter.

The proof, good or bad, is still missing. We have to see how he and the O handle themselves down 6 or 10 in the 4th quarter and plays longer than 5 yards needing strung together.

I believe Russ Wilson is the better passer, but also has warts, so not all-in on him being starting QB, but we just HAVE to pump the brakes HARD on this Fields adoration (admittedly its controlled admiration by most fans/pundits, but WAY too early).

Fields has lots of time to solidfy himself as a very capable, albeit non-pro bowl type QB or to completely implode. I don't want to see implosion as we need a QB badly, but it would not shock me to see two straight 3+ turnover games by him when being asked to do alot more (ie behind by a score or more).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Good point, but the Bears are a particularly tough proposition. I mean, how many QB's have the Bears had in their long history that you would consider "elite" other than Sid Luckman of the 1940's? I guess that you could make a case for Jay Cutler, at least statistically speaking, but what did he ever win?. Jim McMahon was average at best, but at least he was good enough to help a very talented Bears team win a SB in the 80's. Maybe Celeb Williams can become the QB that the Bears are hoping for, but he's off to a rocky start, and history hasn't been very kind to the Bears QB's.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 2:44 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Wonder if Wilson uses preparation H for his warts?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well Jay took them to an AFC Championship...., and Rex Grossman took them to a SB. Hell they have as many playoff wins in the last 20 years as the Cowboys, but I don't hear anyone talking about how badly they are run. It's all perception. People hear....the media say....they have never had a 4000 yard passer. Well many teams have won SBs without 4000 yard passers. Hell the same media gave Lamar Jackson not one, but two MVPs, and He will never be a 4000 yard passer, or at least He hasn't yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    True, I forgot about Grossman, and Cutler got injured in that AFC Championship game. Times have changed though, you'll never see a "Rex Grossman" lead a team to a SB again. It seems like there's some kind of curse when it comes to Bears QB's, especially for the last 25 years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    This makes no sense to me...why exactly can he not be a pro bowl type QB? He's young and performing well in a new system 3 weeks in. I think there is plenty of untapped potential and ability to be a pro bowl caliber player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Defense have never been the problem for the bears....But they can't develop QBs....

17. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You go to SBs who gives a F**k if You have a Qb throw for 4000 yards. Apparently the Ravens don't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We just seen P. Manning win a SB....with 9tds, and 17 ints, and a fumble. What 5 years, or so ago.

20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    Rex Grossman is the worst QB ever to start a super bowl game!

This topic is about QBs not about team

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I think the colts are going to come after him and take away his first read. It’ll be interesting to see how we counter.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah....worst than P. Mannings 9tds, and 17 ints???. It's not even close
    Also when You say that. It shows You haven't been watching football long. I could give you worse..... but like many people today....if the media says something it true ....people believe it.....
    and No the topic was about teams developing Qbs.

23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The Bears make the playoffs like only 6 times since 1995 despite so many great defense.....This is because the QB position was just horrible too often!

24. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I was talking career wise,but year wise,yes Manning in 2015 had likely the worst single year for a SB starting QB

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Trent Dilfer. There has been a lot, but the media doesn't harp on it. Not having a Qb that has ever thrown for 4000s yards is all You can really say that is truthful about Chicago....., and that means nothing. Have been many, many many Qbs win SBs that didn't throw for 4000 yards the year they won the SB. Many.

• Winner Winner x 1