1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The running game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 23, 2024 at 8:39 AM.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    What are your thoughts on this?

For me, it must be better...They had their moment but let's hope it will be better soon...They are 2nd in rushing attempts in the NFL but only 12th in rushing yards

Maybe it will unlock in the next two games vs colts and cowboys since they are the 2 worst rush defenses in the NFL after 3 weeks!

2. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    It will get better once Warren is 100%, and the O-line starts to gel. They can't afford anymore injuries to the O-line though. Let's hope that everyone get's healthy soon, and stays that way

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I think its gonna get better. I think once Seamalu returns you will see it get better and as the line builds cohesion it will get better. In addition as Fields progresses and we open the passing game more and utilize play action more that will free up the run game and teams will be less inclined to stack the box. I would love to see more designed QB runs similar to what Baltimore does with Lamar Jackson as I believe Fields can be just as effective. It may not be there yet though because right now teams are not threatened by our passing game. If these second and third options at WR start to step up it will dramatically open up the passing game. The fact teams are committed to stopping our run game and Fields is doing enough to beat them through the air and we still commit to the run game is testament to Arthur Smith having patience and knowing what he is doing.

Teams are gonna have to start to repeat Fields and the passing game and if they don’t and they continue to stack the box we will just bludgeon them for three quarters and win the war of attrition until the dam breaks and we wear them out by the fourth quarter and start to see big chunk runs. This all works of course as long as our defense continues to keep games close. If were down by two scores mid to late in the second half then that all changes. Not sure if we have the offensive system or the personnel to score quickly and come from behind. The one thing is if defenses do play prevent defense against us that really opens up high QB scramble plays for Fields underneath and in the flat to sustain drives and march us down field. Hopefully the Raiders continue to faulter and we can trade for Devante Adams in about a month and then we will be well positioned to truly open up the offense and score a multitude of ways. My concern is it really could become a bidding war for Adams amongst us, the Jets and the Ravens. I could absolutely see the Ravens going after him not only to boost their team but to prevent us from getting him. They are that type of organization. I could also see him wanting to go their and play for Lamar or to NY and play for Rodgers. I think each teams record and each teams potential will be the deciding factor for him at that time provided they are willing to trade him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There are some good reasons the running game has not been great so far.

1. Teams haven't been respecting the passing game, basically daring Fields to beat them in the air. Until yesterday, there was no receiver other than Pickens that defenses had to respect.

2. Warren is injured. He was hurt in the preseason, then did something to his knee yesterday. His absence hurts.

3. The offensive line is dealing with inexperience and injuries. This is the biggest issue. They haven't started the same five guys in consecutive games yet. They have a rookie center, a second-year right tackle, a second-year guard, and would have a rookie at right tackle if he wasn't on IR. Having to replace Isaac Seumalu with Spencer Anderson is a big downgrade.

All of these things get better. Fautanu's regular season is over, but they could get Seumalu back as soon as this week. He is a much better blocker, but he is also a highly-intelligent veteran leader, something that line needs very badly.

Hopefully, Warren will get healthy at some point. He is a dynamic compliment to Harris and an excellent third-down back. They miss his explosiveness. He has only been a factor in one of the three games so far.

The way teams defend the Steelers will change if Fields keeps playing like he did yesterday. Austin can also help in that regard. If he can continue to be a big-play threat, defenses are going to have to back off, which will create room for Harris and the other backs to run.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    As long as Najee is the guy that receives the main bulk of the carries, we're just not going to be the most efficient with the running game. He is always just going to get what is blocked and that's it. Yesterday's game showed that perfectly. When there wasn't a lot of movement up front, there was nothing there for him. I think he was less than a yard per carry pretty deep into that game. Then at the end when we were wearing them down with TOP, the OL was busting open HUGE holes and both Harris and Patterson started ripping off multiple 10+ yard gains in a row. We don't have a Le'Veon Bell anymore, so it is going to come down to how well we can block up front as to whether or not the run game will be successful. I think the OL will grow (Frazier has been a beast, and will only get better) and getting healthier will help a lot too. But the run game is going to come down to the OL and how well Fields can open it up (both as a passer and runner himself).

Side note, Dallas REALLY struggled containing Lamar in the run game (and it really helped open things up for Henry). I think Jackson had 87 yards that game. I hope we paid attention and will mix in some designed runs for Fields to help soften them up. If we take care of business in Indy like we should, we have a really good shot at going to 5-0 with a win at home vs. Dallas.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    And the colts struggle vs Malik Willis!

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not worried about it too many injuries on the OL, I expect it to get better as the season goes along.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is always going to be a mixture of blocking and the running of the back. Harris ripped through the Chargers for some good runs earlier in the game, too, but kept losing yards on those pitch plays that had no shot. I get that you don't think much of Harris, but to put the blame for the running game's problems yesterday on him just doesn't accurately reflect what happened in the game. It simply isn't true to say he only gets what is blocked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Very true. Back to back poor run defenses that have struggled containing mobile QB's should be a recipe for Steeler success.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Cowboys have given up 464 yards rushing over just the last 2 games. They are just dreadful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Perfect. I would like to think we will be gameplanning some QB runs along with our normal rushing attack for the next few games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They have already been doing some of that, though aside from the short touchdown run, it did not work well against the Chargers.

13. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Really liked what they did to mix in 84 near the end of the game. Gives teams another thing to think about

• Like Like x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure that was intentional. I think Harris was injured on that play when he tried to hurdle defenders. He returned for a couple of plays, including the big run to the one, but his arm was in a sling today.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And he ran hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The running game should get better, but we can do better by not running Harris on toss sweeps, I think he lost yardage every time we ran that. Just not quick enough to the outside. He should be limited to run between the tackles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Look at those plays again. Harris isn't the only reason they are failing. They have been poorly blocked. The one time he didn't lose yardage it was because Harris accelerated around the edge and got a yard out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    After week 3, NFL run defense rankings:
    Chargers are at 5
    Broncos are at 24
    Falcons are at 27.

So for a team that is running like we have been, we should be a lot better.

vs Falcons: 137 yards, 41 attempts
    vs Broncos: 141 yards, 36 attempts
    vs Chargers: 114 yards, 31 attempts

That is really not that good. I had thought it was much better until I looked at the numbers. I guess I was so used to the horror show that it has been the last few years that it made this year seem awesome......lol

This week, we go against the Colts who are sitting pretty at the 32nd ranked run defense. We better do some damage vs them with our run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Personally not too concerned about this yet. If they are still this low at the mid-point then some concern feels valid. Two road games to open the season with a new QB, OC and shuffled OL lack of efficiency seem inevitable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not to mention the #2 RB dinged up. we are starting a 4th rounder, 7th rounder, rookie, 2nd rounder and a 1st rounder across the line. this week it may be a 4th, rookie, rookie, 2nd, 1st. one game we had a 4th, 7th, rookie, 2nd, rookie. it should improve as we go. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It doesn't take a genius to see how the teams play us on Defense, and How after the 2nd half How the Colts had to play us, and low , and behold Najee magically got better. Also
    thank the Steelers for not listening to people, and making Warren our bell cow, or we would be in a load of trouble right now....., and the people that suggested it....would remain very quite. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Patterson will have a good game. You heard it here.:cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    5-0 would be great heading to Las Vegas!

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m thinking we may start 5-0. LOL.

Also thinking the Colts will be looking to stuff the run because this is so obvious for us to run.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024 at 10:35 PM