1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If defense sucked, would you still be wanting fields?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 24, 2024.

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    A few rounds of Pimms Cup will affect your vision. You must be seeing double and feeling single Thig. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Agreed. I understand. But I'm wondering how many of y'all would flip if we lost the games.

For instance last years first three games scored more against us than this year.

So I'm just wondering seeing a QB that didn't even break 200 yards for two games and has a ratio of 2:1, you would be totally fine with?..... because we will lose games.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Of course not if we had needed more than that. All he needed to do was manage the games in weeks 1+2, and he did. I was very skeptical of Fields based on his history and film with the Bears. However, he did some really good things on film Sunday. The running game was doing nothing until he started hitting passes in the middle of the field. We needed him to deliver in the passing game in week 3, and he did. That’s where things sit right now. It’s a week to week thing for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I was the same.

I'm just thinking if we lost games, people would not be acting fine with him.

5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    You should seriously be put in timeout for trying to stir up sh!t when the team is 3-0 and for once there's some universal optimism throughout the board regarding the quarterback. Who gives a sh!t what may or not happen if they lose? This board and it's esteemed members don't need any help turning on each other. Shame on you.

6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    100% not trying to. I just seen how this board was. We had people wanting Malik Willis (not just trolls).

And yes, it's even people who are regulars and been on here years. Even jeh said the other day that fields was a good backup.

So I asked, deal with it. I'm fine with him, but I think if games were lost and he performed the same, I think people on here will flip.

7. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
  8. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    And I’m just saying that if our Defense sucked, Does it matter who our QB is? Bengal Defense sucks and they have Joe Burrow. He is putting up great stats, but still yet they are losing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Fields had a good game Sunday and has shown some promise. Let's not forget he had an occasional good game in Chicago as well but not good enough to avoid getting canned. I'm going to temper my enthusiasm on Fields until we see consistent performance and continued improvement.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    This is definitely a case of stat watching. If he doesn't get some of those throws called back or balls he put right on target or a few of those drops, his stats look way better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK

I went to a bingo with a bunch of queens who apparently had balls

12. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We might as well say Fields is basically a Rookie and as if he has never played in Chicago. I mean look at the great Caleb Williams with Chicago. No one is gonna succeed in that dumpster fire. And the sad thing is they actually went out and got talent to surround Williams. I mean Claypool was the #1 for Fields.

Me myself has the mindset that Fields is a Rookie and has had 3 starts in the NFL, all games might not be pretty, but he is learning and we are 3-0.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think I understand what he's saying. My reply is that our top5 defense is allowing Fields and Co. to gel and improve each week. This kinda remind me of Ben's rookie season. I believe, if our defense sucked ... before we were 0-3 ... Wilson would've be in there. And, it would've been the same as last season ... a qb carousel.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The number 1 for Fields last year was DJ Moore, who is very good, and he also had Cole Kmet at TE. I like the thought of thinking of Fields as a rookie who needs to be groomed into an NFL QB, but a big difference is that a rookie QB is under contract cheap for 4-5 years whereas Fields can earn a huge payday with a good season.

Hopefully he balls out for the rest of the season and forces the team to open up the wallet. However, that will constrain dollars that can be spent on other parts of the roster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    true for 2023,but in 2022,it was Claypool in the second half of the season.And the bears were such a dumpster fire and they had the worst defense in the NFL until the second half of the season in 2023 when they become much better but this is hard for a young QB to win and gain confidance in a dumpster fire!...Look at Caleb Williams right now

• Like Like x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    A big thing to watch for is when Fields has some adversity or the defense isn’t holding a team to 10 points, how does he react and play. Fields has played better than I expected so far hopefully he can keep it rolling.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Look, the Bears receiving room wasn’t good at all in 2022, but Claypool wasn’t the #1. He was a dumb decision by management to get what they thought would be a #1, but fizzled like a dead sparkler immediately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    No it doesn't matter, but people are not going to be saying that fields is good. In fact there will be some who blame fields.

Field is not putting up great numbers like Joe is.

19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    True. But that's also true for a lot of quarterbacks.

20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Thanks.

No way am I saying fields sucks. I just don't see this board all happy with him if we were 0 and 3. I think a lot of people would be pointing to his stats are meh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's true as well, but it's ignoring what we've seen with out own eyes. v He's absolutely made throws that should have kept drives alive and/or scored. Absolute dimes that we haven't seen in the Steelers QB room for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner....because outside of the 1st game Burrow has been playing really well, and yet they are 0-3

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've been saying this forever. QBR is a made up stat that has never made any sense...., and people only use it when it suits their purposes....kinda like PFF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe not today. LoL