1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Justin Fields Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Sep 22, 2024 at 6:13 PM.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That simply goes back to quality NFL Offensive Schematics and Coordinating. Pittsburgh had none of that with Matt Canada. They do now with Arthur Smith.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I don't think Fields is going to be afraid to take shots downfield at all. Yesterday's performance was nothing more than proof positive. Besides, for Arthur Smith's Offense to work, along with the Rushing Attack, Fields is gonna need to take at least 3 to 5 shots down the field during the game.

He has an absolute cannon to do it as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Agreed! Think many folks, myself included, didn't give Arthur Smith much time to implement his offense and learn his players. Chargers game gave us a glimpse of what could be coming down the road. We still have PTSD of the last few seasons of offense, it's hard to be patient. Justin keeps up this level of play, this season could end up being a special season or at least the beginning of a new era of Steelers football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

There is still no way that this Offense has reached its peak. It still has some room to grow no less. Next up is Indy, a team that beat the Steelers down last season.

I'd wager to say I like our chances this time around.1

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I like that Justin Fields isn't going 3 and out a lot and using his legs some to get first downs. This is definitely helping out the defense and keeping them fresh and we are seeing it pay off on that side of the ball. Its nice to see Fields take shots down field aswell, keeping the defense honest and allowing our running game to get going. We may need pass to set up our run since teams are going to think the way to beat us is to keep Fields in the pocket and make him throw to win games. So they will put 8 men in the box.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 11:40 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Really happy with Fields so far. His talent wasn’t in question but my fear was that he would throw stupid interceptions and make poor decisions with the ball. So far he hasn’t.

Hopefully he continues to develop and gain confidence.

Arthur Smith is a good OC and appears to be managing the situation well.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Always important to be very good against the blitz for a QB....Fields was great in week 3 vs blitz!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I appreciate that Fields is playing within the system. If he continues this trend I will be happy. The issue however will be when it comes time to resign him. The salary should be commemorate with his level of performance and the fat that he is a game manager QB and not a Superstar. We pay him like a Superstar then that means we can’t pay others which means more of the responsibility lies at his feet to get wins. Essentially he would have to do more than manage games then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we will cross that bridge when we get there. Let's win a playoff game or 2. or LET'S WIN IT ALL!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The only way I see us having to pay him like a superstar is if he ends up an All-Pro and we end up in the Super Bowl... so yeah, I hope we have to haha

If he puts together a nice season and looks like a guy that can manage the game for us, then look at Geno Smith an Baker Mayfield's contract. Somewhere in the 3 year 75-100 million range would make sense. Lots of football before we have to think about this (and how he plays for the remainder of the season will change what this number looks like), but certainly fun to speculate. I'd love to have Fields become the guy, re-sign Daniels, sign a WR like Higgins, and go draft a RB and some DL/CB help. We could turn into one of the teams to beat in the AFC if we play this right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    IMG_0790.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelLion69

SteelLion69 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    I was skeptical of Fields, I am still not sure he is the long term QB, but you stay with a winner. He deserves some praise.

I also think a running QB like Fields will be useful in games like Dallas, who lack any defensive line talent and can't stop the run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Sounds like a good outlook. I don’t think Daniels is in their future plans. They already told him that. McCormick will replace him. They will definitely need to add at Wr, Cb and DL and probably Rb next year. If they could sign Higgins and draft the other three that would complete the buildout of the team from my perspective. I believe Fields is the type of QB that Tomlin has desired for the last 5 years or so. If Fields can continue at this pace and show that he can win a shootout or two and come from behind then I will be convinced we have found our franchise QB.

I think these young QB’s who come into the league today have so much pressure now. If they don’t have the right coaching and system and support around them, I don’t care how talented they are. Look how long it took Terry Bradshaw to develop. W The Steelers presented a ton of patience with him in the first three years and more of his career. They also had a tremendous defense that allowed him to grow and eventually take risks. You can say the same for Ben Roethlisberger. If we have alot of success this year the key will be trying to retain Arthur Smith. If not you have to tap into the Shannahan/McVay trees for a replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    We want Fields!

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    May we also take this time to give a quick shoutout to Tom Arth; the Quarterbacks Coach?! Who else was as happy that he became the selection for the position.

Remember that this is the same Tom Arth that sat behind Peyton Manning and learned a lot from him. Not only that, this is the same Arth that aided Justin Herbert for two seasons; 2022-2023. Remember that Justin Herbert was very much like Fields coming out; Super athleticism with a rocket arm but marred by a lack of the fundamental aspects of the position. Yes, Shane Steichen played a major part in this as he was the QB Coach in Los Angeles but Arth had a hand in it as well.

He is doing the same for Fields... and the results are showing. It also helps that Fields has a great Center in Zach Frazier along with an ascending Offensive Line to boot.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah that is true, but Daniels is a really good player and is still fairly young. It will definitely be a blow to see him go. We can keep McCormick behind Seumalo for another year and replace him eventually... idk. I do think that we need to SIGN WR and not draft it. I'd prefer drafting RB of course since I think it is pretty easy to get a quality RB that way (at least compared to other positions), DL and CB make a lot of sense for the draft too. If Sutton plays well to end the year maybe extend him for a year or two? Getting younger on defense and more proven on offense seems like the best strategy to me...

I think we're safe with Smith for at least 2ish years. He's too closely removed from a "failed" stint with Atlanta for him to be on a short list that quickly. But really it depends on how quickly and how much Fields progresses. If Fields turns into another Jalen Hurts and does it quickly... a team that wants to develop a young hybrid QB might want to turn to Smith for guidance.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Great hire. One of the better staffs Tomlin has put together. The only mark against him was not replacing Meyer. Just seems to be a weakness ever since Munch left.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I dunno about that.

Can any of us recall a time in which Dan Moore has looked better?! While the likes of Frazier and Fautanu were going to be good, let's not discount the fact that Meyer was the one who got both Fautanu and Frazier up to NFL Speed. Now look at Frazier; arguably a top three NFL Center.... as a Rookie. Now, if you wanna have pushback on Broderick Jones?!?!.... by all means. Got me there.

That said, Broderick Jones will prove to be a hit sooner rather than later. Remember that playing Lineman on both sides generally takes at least three seasons. Frazier and Fautanu are exceptions to the rule. Dan Moore and Spencer Anderson are examples of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree with you on Daniels but apparently the Steelers have a different view for the future. I think with the money they spent on Isaac they probably figured they don’t want to allocate any more to that position and to go with a young draft pick with upside like McCormick. I would love to see them draft that big DT from Kentucky and slide Benton over to Ogunjobi’s spot. Then draft a slot cb in round 2 and rb in the 3rd.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can forget about them re-signing Daniels, that's why they drafted McCormick to be Daniels replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
  24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    A good DT would be nice, but he has to be really good to take in the first. Capable of being a 3 down player for sure. I like RB in round 2 and honestly wouldn’t hate finding a way to get Judkins on the team. I think a good sized, explosive RB would to a ton for this offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wish they wouldn't do this comparison. One is in His 4th year in the NFL, and one is in his 4th game. Name Me one person unless they're handicapped in some way.....that wouldn't be better at doing something they've done 4 years, over someone that's done it 4 times???

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1