1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Justin Fields Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Sep 22, 2024 at 6:13 PM.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If He keeps progressing like He has week to week. I totally agree, and maybe even this year

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

That is due to Pittsburgh, more specifically Pickett, wanting to keep Matt Canada. That is on Pickett. However, while neither Trubisky nor Pickett worked out in Pittsburgh, that doesn't discount the fact that other NFL Teams, who have organizational stability, have seen the fruits of their labor.

Miami, Houston, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia and even Baltimore have all shown that having both structure and stability within the entire Organization will yield results. Kansas City, San Francisco, Buffalo and even Dallas drive this point even further.

Pittsburgh having issues at Offensive Coordinator doesn't disprove this.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So Trubisky, and Pickett have nothing to do with it??? It can't be they just aren't good???
    How about Trey Lance....how come he didn't work,,but Purdy did. Could it be that the players just aren't good??...., or did they just not like Lance, and only coached Purdy up. I can keep doing this if You like.

4. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    With this start, 12-5 possible IMO if Watt stays healthy and that is a big if.

If we get that 12-5, then there is the KC hump to get over.

Oh well, at least we have a little bit of hope and can probably enjoy this regular season instead of suffering with the likes of Kenny Pickett.

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Trubisku, by the time he arrived to Pittsburgh, was all but a lost cause. Pickett was doomed first the team first but then himself; seldom an occurrence among young QBs as it is either or. Again though, Pittsburgh messing up Picketts development is no more than an exception to the rule... albeit one that has two cases behind it.

As for Trey Lance?! In that case, Lance is the exception to the rule for it wasn't San Francisco's doing that led to Lance's failure but Lance's own. Lance should have returned to school to obtain more experience. That case falls on Lance; not San Fran.

6. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  7. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Best thing that can happen for this team is for Fields to continue to grow and look sharp like he has and we sign him to a deal after the season. He has much more upside than Russell Wilson does considering his age (24), physical attributes, along with the ability to run, which keeps defenses honest. With that said, Fields isn't looking to run and that was evident today. He had his eyes downfield and looked composed. He threw some dimes today through tight windows .

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m really happy with Fields’ performance today. When a QB can consistently hit passes in the MOF, it keeps the LBs and safeties from being able to sell out to stop the run. Fields made those throws to the MOF consistently today, especially in the second half. Very solid day for him. The interception didn’t bother me too much. I’ve seen all of the game’s best QBs throw worse interceptions than that one.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    You don’t think he’s getting better

10. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    You made that out like he's best at only being a backup.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    By far better than anything we had last year

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    How does “I hope he keeps getting better” make me a party pooper

Good lord I even got 3 disagrees on this

And people call me curmudgeon

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The backup comment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    TBH, there is 0 reason for us not to try to trade for a WR in-season if Fields keeps playing well. I know they want to use Muth and they've used Washington in the red zone, but a reliable #2 option behind Pickens could make the difference. I know Austin had a nice game, but he has to do it more consistently for us to be able to rely on it. Who knows what shape Roman Wilson is coming off injury and missing nearly all of camp....

This offense could be scary. We have a really nice WR1, a quality receiving TE, a good RZ TE and blocker, a deep backfield, and a young line that should continue to get better (and hopefully healthy). If Fields ends up turning into a real threat, we are pretty much a reliable WR2 away from being a really nice unit to complement our kick-@$$ defense. Future looks pretty bright as of now. Lets hope it stays that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Keep in mind this is the same team who drafted guys like Ziggy Hood, Bud Depree and Devin Bush in the first round. They don’t always get it right. KP goes in that same list.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok wasn’t Russell Wilson brought in to be the starter “pole position”

Therefore wasn’t Fields brought in to be the backup

And I said he was looking good

WTF is wrong here

I hope he becomes better than Brady but right now he has played 3 games here and got better each time

I’m going to enjoy him and the win

Yinz n’ at can be cranky all on your own

18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    How can they spend all this money and capital making a "perfect situation" around a rookie QB... only for the situation to completely suck AGAIN, like it did for 3 years of Justin Fields? Clown show. If the Bears end up sucking, their coach could easily lose his job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think we’re the ones being cranky here :lolol:

Fields has been a starter his whole career, has not been a backup even one game and probably never will be until late in his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I agree. That said, there has to be a WR there for us. I hope Cortland Sutton but I am not so sure. Treylon Burks could be a nice addition though who is to say Tennessee will trade him.

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You knew what you were doing.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That answer is simple; the Chicago Bears have learned nothing from the Justin Fields debacle. For that matter, the solution is quite simple and is summed up in two words; Offensive Line. Yes, a young QBs best friend is the running game. However, to have a good running game, you need a good Offensive Line.

Chicago thought by having the likes of Nate Davis and Coleman Shelton would be enough. This simply hasn't been the case. Dominick Puni should have been selected over Kiran Amegadjie because the Bears already had more depth issues at IOL than Tackle. Much like Fields, Teven Jenkins will be blamed more so for the disaster at Offensive Line than anything. However, there is something even worse that befalls Williams in the same vein as Fields; bad Offensive Coaching.

Shane Waldron has no business as the Bears OC. Then again, this is on Matt Eberflus, Ryan Pace and Virginia McCaskey. Eberflus should have been canned already, Pace should have looked more into Offensive Lineman in Round One (namely Troy Fautanu, Olu Fashanu or even Amarius Mims) and McCaskey should have stepped in.

Know what this is called?! Organizational failure.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2024 at 1:23 AM
  23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    One of the major complaints about Fields was the number of sacks he took, because "he holds the ball too long". Weirdly, the QB that has taken the most sacks this year plays for Chicago. Maybe what you say about the o-line is true. Who'd a thunk it?

24. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Maybe, we don't know for sure. He was under Canadas system here. KP might yet making something of his career or he may not. But if he had started off here with say Smith things might’ve turned out different.

Steelers have traditionally picked well when it comes to Qb’s in the first round

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t be accusing me of knowing what I’m doing :smiley1: