1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

some said 80 would be invisible

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Sep 15, 2024 at 4:54 PM.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    What about Kelce? He runs straight ahead most of the time, but yet he's usually open by at least 5 yards. Must be his incredible athletic ability?. Hell, even I could make those catches if I had a 5-10 yard cushion every time, lol. I guess a 4.4 DB can't stay with a 4.8 TE? Sure seems that way when it comes to Kelce

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of that is scheme. He has Reid creating plays that create those open areas.

There is more to athleticism than size and speed. Agility, coordination, and body control also matter. Kelce has those things. If you can't see that Kelce has talent that Washington lacks, I'm not sure what to tell you. I am certain that Washington couldn't do what Kelce does even if you did put him in the Chiefs' offense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I understand what you're saying, I guess, but I just don't see where Kelce is doing anything special to get open so often. Sure, he can catch when he's open, any NFL TE can do that. I don't really see Kelce making that many contested catches though, because he rarely has to

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Watch Kelce when P. Mahomes moves. They have a very fine understanding of How each of them thinks when seeing the Field.....some of those catches He makes is from adjusted routes from what the D is doing

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not every NFL tight end can catch everything as consistently as he does. Also, his athleticism helps open up those shorter routes. He is a threat to go deep. Washington is not.

6. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Guess I'm just not as astute about the game as you and Scribe, it's all good though. I'm sure having the best QB in the NFL helps Kelce though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It certainly does, the Qb matters big time, and that's kinda what I was getting at...with some additional stuff....like Kelce, and Mahomes can almost read the D exactly the same. Kinda like....Remember when Ben, and AB just knew when the ball would be a back shoulder, or over the top, and they would both read the D the same way...., and Being able to do this stuff as a Qb, and player is part of what makes You great.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    True, but the ability of the receiver matters, too. Not every receiver could do what Brown did. Not every tight end can do what Kelce does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I'm not comparing Kelce to Washington, that would be unfair. One is a WR type of TE, the other basically just blocks. I guess a more fair comparison would be Kelce to Muth. Does Kelce have better hands than Muth? Seems like almost every catch Muth makes is contested to some degree. I just don't see Kelce doing that as much, probably because he doesn't have to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thats why at the end I said Qb, and player.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Kelce is more athletic and he plays in a much better scheme with a much better quarterback. Also, he is a better blocker than Freiermuth. I don't think Freiermuth would suddenly do everything Kelce does if they traded places.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Gronk had 11 years experience

Most people don’t write off a developing young employee quickly

At least I never did