1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If I’m Not Starting, I Really Don’t Feel Like I Should Be Playing:’ Broderick Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 15, 2024 at 8:54 PM.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    man up jones. babied at georgia and thinks he should be handed everything in the nfl too. feels entitled. grow a pair and play the game like a big boy. it's a friggin 17+ game season, you should be ready to play at a moments notice. prepare like you are going to start and be ready to play like you are the starter. quit whining. ya big girl. you sound like chuks. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

It does.. for this reason and this reason only; planning.

Pittsburgh had Broderick Jones compete with Dan Moore for the starting Left Tackle spot as a rookie. Broderick didn't win out. That is when Broderick should have just sat and developed further after Moore won the spot. Dylan Cook should have been the one starting against Jacksonville as opposed to Jones for Cook had ample time developing there since OTAs.

Pittsburgh has botched Broderick's development thus far; the same way they did Kevin Dotson. Kicking him inside would be even worse; no experience there either. For that matter and, as I said, Khan already stated that Jones is going to be the Left Tackle at some point. For that to happen though, Dan Moore Jr better have a bad game or two for that to happen. Until then?! Have Broderick heal up that elbow and help him work out those issues at his natural position.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Cool. :thumbs_up:
    I was just trying to understand where you stood on that. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some people think if You point out something.....You are instantly a hater.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If those are his words, it seems pretty straight forward to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For?!

8. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    This applies to all NFL players.....

He has probably been one of the best, if not the best player on his football team since he was 3 years old. Some people do not handle it well when they are no longer that alpha dog at the top of the pile. His comment makes me think that he is one of these people. The NFL and any sport has a mental aspect to it as well. Right now from that comment and from what I saw of him after week 2, his mental game is not where it needs to be right now for him to perform at the level he needs to.

How he got to this spot might be from bad coaching, playing the wrong position, a bad game plan or a hundred other things......but all the skill in the world can't save you if your head is not in the right spot too. If this were a movie, this is the point where he goes back to his roots and gets in touch with his pre-famous self to come back rejuvenated and better than ever! lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    If the general consensus is that Dan Moore is going to remain the starter, boy oh boy will this article change your mind. However, I myself have been on record, at the beginning of the Preseason, in stating that the only way that Fautanu would is if either Broderick beats out Dan Moore or if Broderick Jones continues to regress all together. One of those two events did end up happening; the exact one I didn't want to happen at all.

Up to Broderick now. First thing is getting back to the other side and improve there. Second is to get that elbow fixed. The third and most important is hoping Dan Moore slips up somewhere during the season.

As far as Dan Moore Jr's performance goes?! Moore has played better than anyone this season; James Daniels bounce back against Denver included and much better than he ever has. I never stated that Moore Jr. is infallible to criticism. I also have not suggested that Dan Moore will not potentially mess up again.

Anyone see who's coming to town?! Two HOF Level EDGE Players in Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack! The real test starts now Dan Moore Jr! Best of luck! :steelflag:

10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Jones played fine at RT last year. He's more a run blocker. Keep him over there. They have a tackle they just drafted high this year. Put him at LT.

I don't understand the love affair of putting Jones at LT. He also looks like he's battling some sort of injury

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    If you don’t agree with a hater you get accused of being an apologist

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here? They kept Moore on the left because he can't play on the right, and Jones did a good job on the right side last year. I disagree with you about having Jones sit and wait behind Moore, they needed him at RT, and Jones benefited from getting the experience. I mean, how's a guy supposed to develop when he's sitting on the bench? I don't know if Jones would've been better than Moore at LT anyway, but until he proves that he is, he'll be Moore's backup. Last year Jones shown that he can play well at RT, but he's really stunk this year so far, be it because of injury, or otherwise. What I saw from Fautanu against the Broncos, he's miles ahead of what I've ever seen from Jones at RT, so no way you'll ever see Jones back there unless Fautanu get's injured.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My point is that what is happening to Broderick happened to Kevin Dotson. Dotson is now one of the best guards in all of football. I don't want Broderick to got another team and become one of the best Tackles in all of Football at the Steelers expense due to the team messing him up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Point taken, but Jones sure hasn't helped is cause by playing poorly so far this year. I do think it was dumb trying to platoon him with Fautanu though. He had to be rattled mentally knowing he was now a backup for Troy, and was pressing too hard when he got in there, resulting in 3 penalties in just the one series. I'm sure Jones will get another opportunity at LT at some point this year, but he'll have to play a lot better than he has so far this season if he wants to ever secure that starting LT position.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I agree. Jones has not helped his case, at all, this season. However, given the fact his elbow was, has been and currently is being reported as part of the problem, Broderick isn't able to operate to 100% of his total capability. Granted, the elbow injury by itself doesn't excuse Jones overall lack of development.

However, having such a lingering issue surely hasn't helped him progress. When something like that happens, confidence also can take a hit. How a player was able to play before such an injury isn't possible now. We are seeing that with Broderick; he isn't landing his punches nor striking as violently as he did in Year one.

Hopefully having him sit and heal will aid in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Here is an interesting idea.

Pretty sure Mike Tomlin did this with Kelvin Beachum back in the day in some capacity as well. Might want to consider this again.

Much better than some silly ass OT rotation.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    This is a rotation just calling it something different doesn’t change it

Put him in take him out

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True... but two key aspects are different here.

It isn't undermining the development of Troy Fautanu. Troy can still play without being subbed in and out with Broderick. More importantly, for two, it can allow Broderick to still play while proving himself.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    The whole point was they were concerned with Troy’s conditioning.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Troy isn't going to improve his resiliency if he is just sitting there on the sidelines during GameDay. He has to get out there and perform.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we also didn't have a TE that is blocking very well. so you take washington out to appease jones? no thank you. i'm about tired of the elbow BS. it's more than the elbow. his feet haven't been good either this year. hurt feelings are not going to cut it. all these guys playing every snap have hurts going on. he seems soft and expecting things to be handed to him because of his draft status. that sure seems like what is happening to me. i could be wrong but i want the best players playing and not guys wanting it given to them. that hurts the guys that work their azzes off. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Good point. Who really knows what the deal is with this mysterious elbow injury of his that there's never any injury report about. Every part of Jones' game has regressed, including his footwork, so it's not just his lack of "punch". If he's injured, then let him rest until he's ready to play at the level he was on last year. There's no time to baby these guys in the NFL, it's either sink or swim

• Like Like x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who says it would be Washington as the TE being taken out? If they wanted to run the ball line up Washington and Jones and take Muth out for running plays.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    wouldn't that kind of show your hand and limit options?:cool:

• Like Like x 2