1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee Harris Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Sep 16, 2024 at 7:31 PM.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i tried to cover the GAMUT - LOL!!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    It might be “all of the above”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    What's the franchise tag cost for a RB next year?

4. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i think ~$12M

Steelers already made up their minds unless something seriously sets back Warren. They will draft for other RB's.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Nothing against Harris,good RB,but I would love to have a more explosive running back

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Technically, it depends on whether you're talking about the Exclusive (player cannot seek offers from other team) or Non-Exclusive version (player can seek offers, original team has option to match or receive two first-round picks), and the values aren't known for sure until after the season when things like restricted free agency ends and the salary cap is set. But the estimate right now is ~$13.6M.

Alternatively, they can opt for the Transition Tag, which gives them the chance to meet competing offers but receive no compensation if they refuse, for ~$10.8M.

To me, when they declined his option it was a sign they didn't see him here beyond this year. Considering the value and other positions that will need to be addressed in the offseason I was surprised when they passed.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    They declined the 5th they sure as crap aren’t tagging him

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    In the first 2 games this year the league has been running more, and more successfully. One can say there are many reasons, including a shortened and less effective pre-season as starters rarely if ever play. As it is, it still shows the value of the RB, and hopefully there is a shift to increase that value. I actually think we as a team have been not creative enough, could be line, but Najee was pretty much stuffed the 2 nd half last week. Denver made adjustments, but we went Tomlin Turtle. Najee is a beast, use him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Last year's tag numbers for RB, franchise just under 12 million, transition just under 10. I like what Najee brings and does, but unless he brings 2000 yards (combined) they are not sniffing at tagging.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, hate to be the bad guy in an appreciation thread but I havent seen anything that says they make a mistake not picking it up.

Good guy, good RB, plays hard but just not seeing something irreplaceable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Given what we'd seen heading into the offseason I figured they'd pick up the option over working out a long term deal. The price was reasonable while relatively non-committal, and allowed them the time to secure potential needs at other positions heading into 2025 (at the time, QB, WR, DE, CB) as well as depth (then they had ~26 players under contract in 2025; now, 38).

With several potential needs, Harris' production already justifying a $7M spend, and some potential upside via an improved line and Smith's offense i figured they'd elect to hold onto him for a fifth year. They're not going to tag him, and he's not irreplaceable. Just figured they'd wait another year to do it.

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Perhaps he made it clear he would not play under the 5th year option

Based on his previous comments he very much may not have been happy

Then you have a disgruntled player this year

Now he has a bigger incentive to do well this year

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 6:09 PM
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Harris made references to Saquan Barkley in the past and possibly thinks he is going to get a similar contract

He won’t

But that may be where he was negotiating from

And the Steelers said no thank you

Remember “no hostages”

This is where my guess is

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I've thought about it being about something more than production. Harris has at times been unafraid to speak his mind, or otherwise wear his emotions on his sleeve. I don't think he's ever been disrespectful, but I have thought about his comments around RB salaries, along comments like the one he made last year about the team needing to approach practices more seriously that I thought may have ruffled the wrong feathers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My gut tells me otherwise unless it’s an offer from a juggernaut like KC where a ring is almost imminent.

I’m believing the relationship between he and the organization is VERY solid with some back door convos. “Keep being a great teammate, leader, and locker room guy while playing as hard as possible. With health we will give you a handsome bag.

Plus the claims that they wanted to see his play in the Arthur Smith system has some solid rational too.

Both sides measure this season and the teams direction for their collective fruition.

I like it.

16. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Still don’t understand why they didn’t pick up the option on him. He is as much the identity of this team as anyone now. The option was relatively cheap and if for some reason they had to rid themselves of him, which he has shown zero signs of, you still get out of it easy n cheap.
    As of today and fast forward to tomorrow they’re now faced with a more expensive option short term and long term. This one still doesn’t make logical sense to me from Omar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Etienne is an explosive RB, and he's not helping Jacksonville do much. Warren is the explosive RB for the Steelers, and Harris is the punishing RB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Etienne is terrible....I think Harris is a above average back and him and Warren are a good duo.But I also think that James Conner is better.His only problem is its durability

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Didn't Barkley have to go elsewhere. Also these people with Najee is just not it....not saying any names, but Do you know most big Rbs stats, and YPC go up the more they get to carry....this includes D. Henry, and Najee.
    Hell the Bus would have been considered terrible if He only got 15 - 20 carries a game.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Barkley left the Giants and went to the Eagles

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They still have to spend resources to replace it, and they have to do it when they have many other holes to fill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    20 carries for 70 yards
    17 carries for 69 yards

I think we are once again overrating a Steeler player. I’m fine with Najee (not worth a 1st rd pick) but he’s a very average NFL RB if you take off the goggles.

That being said our offense has been so awful for so long maybe those type of numbers get you excited?

For example the guy we play this weekend JK Dobbins has put up

10 carries 135 yards
    17 carries 131 yards

:eek::eek::eek:

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They drafted Daijun Edwards. The plan may be to promote Warren to lead back and use Edwards as part of the committee.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They did not draft Edwards. They signed him as an undrafted free agent. Then they cut him Aug. 26. He is not on their roster. I don't see him on their practice squad. Did someone else sign him? If he isn't even good enough for their practice squad, I'm not sure it makes sense to count on him for any role next season.

The only running back they have behind Warren right now is Cordarrelle Patterson, who is 33 years old. I hope they are not counting on him to play a major role next season.

The Steelers are going to have to find one or two backs to use with Warren. That is one more hole to fill when they could have had the position locked up at a reasonable cost.

Edit: I checked and according to profootballreference.com, Edwards is a free agent. No team bothered to even sign him to a practice squad.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 10:14 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    according to HBO Hard Knocks, NY was ready to pay him a nice contract. Barkley wanted out, a new start. Asked him to test the market and to 'call before you sign'. He never called! They would have given him similar $$ to Philly (I think.....). But they too were shocked at his contract.

seems Najee does too?

• Informative Informative x 1